Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
MVP had all the star potential. He had the look, charisma, presence, talking ability and ring work to back up a big push. Should have definitely been a World Champion and a top main event heel on SmackDown. Instead they gave him a losing streak and a pairing with Henry that went nowhere.

Benjamin was very limited and his only redeeming quality was being an amazing athlete. Nothing but the black John Morrison in that aspect. If he had a good mouthpiece manager like Swagger with Zeb and Lesnar with Heyman, then maybe... just maybe.

·
Registered
9,697 Posts
The one thing MVP had over Shelton was the ability to talk. So he has that edge over him. But give Shelton a manger (not his mama -_-) and he could have made it to the top on his in-ring ability alone.

Guys like MVP, Shelton, Kennedy, Carlito, Morrison all fell victim to the rise of Cena and his superman booking between 2005-2008.

·
Registered
854 Posts
MVP is a great entertainer, ie he can talk, has character etc. Shelton is just a great athletic wrestler. Both are great and were misused, I think MVP is more valuable to WWE because of his mic skills but Shelton is a better wrestler. I dont know if we can judge who was misused more as neither really got a great push and neither really got an opportunity to shine in their strengths. I think everyone WWE uses is misused.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Definitely MVP. Just watching him on TNA makes me realize how WWE misused him. He has it all: ring skills and mic skills. Currently he is doing great as the mouth of Lashley getting some good heat. Overall he was and still is very underrated.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
MVP, thought the guy was gonna be the face of smack down, guess I was wrong :( as for shelton yeah he was athletic but he was always an upper mid carder.

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
WWE has gotten criticism for not building up any real black superstars with the exception of the Rock. Well they had to very athletic and popular black wrestlers one MVP and the other Shelton Benjamin both of whom had solid heel runs in the midcard before WWE lost direction of them ultimately leading to their releases so which one did WWE drop the ball on worse?
Benjamin for me, I never saw much in MVP.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Shelton pretty much was always going to be us/ic level

MVP's past held him back. That's just what it was.

I am sure if he stuck it out in 2011 he may have reached another level with the lack of top faces.

Upper-midcard ic/us level does not mean wwe dropped the ball on them, that was just the level.

Hell mvp and shelton reached ic level in new japan, so pretty much that is where most bookers see them

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Shelton pretty much was always going to be us/ic level

MVP's past held him back. That's just what it was.

I am sure if he stuck it out in 2011 he may have reached another level with the lack of top faces.

Upper-midcard ic/us level does not mean wwe dropped the ball on them, that was just the level.

Hell mvp and shelton reached ic level in new japan, so pretty much that is where most bookers see them
Back then, IC/US level was not a bad thing, it was basically auditioning for the top spot. Maybe in MVPs case, he came a bit later but Benjamin started some 10 years ago if not earlier, the IC title still meant something back then.

·
CHAIRMAN of WF
2,528 Posts
Guys like MVP, Shelton, Kennedy, Carlito, Morrison all fell victim to the rise of Cena and his superman booking between 2005-2008.
What??? Did you just make that up?

Carlito got lazy.
Morrison left because he was so pussy whipped by Melina, that when she left, he followed behind her.
Kennedy was injury prone.
Shelton was too one dimensional.
MVP failed because of the WWE burying, him after the comments MVP made backstage to the wellness tester.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Neither. Both guys were nothing more than midcard acts. Could they have been used better in the midcard? Of course. But neither guy was world championship material tbh.

·
The Middle Rope
2,451 Posts
Mvp for sure.

If you have seen tna recently you will know how ridiculously good mvp has got as the manager of bobby lashley.

You could also say they dropped the ball on lashley, sure he can't talk but neither can lesnar and look were he is.

·
Rated R Superstar
14,586 Posts
MVP is great, it was a shame that he had the losing streak storyline. He could've come back from it, he was on his way there with Henry, the fans loved him, but he asked for his release. You can fault WWE for the losing streak, but not so much for him leaving.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Both, MVP was a great all round in ring performer whilst Shelton Benjamin was an unreal in ring worker. There's so many people in WWE right now that can't talk and are good in the ring but not great so Shelton Benjamin in this current roster excels as a main eventer and probably should have been pushed after his mini feud with The Undertaker in 2009. MVP should have been the top heel on SmackDown in 2007 and 2008 instead of being moved to Raw which is when he got lost in the shuffle and went nowhere.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts