Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the question - is there any point in having the draft in the current product?
that's really the million dollar question no? with April 23rd approaching i scoured google to find any update on the draft.... quite literally anything with no avail. my thoughts were put to rest when i read the smackdown spoilers : alberto del rio 'traded' to smackdown. at that very moment my heart sunk being a fan of the draft. if the wwe could do anything to show that they had no intentions of holding a draft, 'trading' a wrestler just days before was the sign.

i've read articles left, right and center about how the draft is totally irrelevant, and you know what i agree on paper there is no point whatsoever, period. but quite honestly the comment 'raw supershow makes it pointless' is the lazy and uneducated answer. fact is, the rosters need freshening. look at the miz and dolph ziggler, the two could be at the top of the company yet because of the recent main event powers (rock, lesnar, y2j, tensai) there really is no room for them. yet a move to smackdown could propel them back to the main event?

like it or not the draft throws suprises even you must admit make you couldn't imagine. 2011, despite the move only being temporary when john cena's name lay across the graphic you were shocked no question. even at the very minimum it scores a solid tv rating and shuffles the rosters. so go ahead say 'supershow makes it pointless' but really you know the draft holds a significance you cannot deny.

June 11th 2012, for the love of god can that be the date we see a wwe draft!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Re: The WWE Draft - The Debate

Does WWE.com even list wrestlers by brand anymore?

Anyway, I've always hated the draft because of how the WWE constantly screwed my favorite brand as well as ECW. When it comes to the brand split itself, either end it or make it strict. I would be in favor of starting fresh and doing a 2002 style draft but I'm not sure how they could do it with both brands having the same GM.

·
Registered
357 Posts

kill the brand extention... there should not be a draft in 2012.. it is pointless.. allow wrestlers to freely be on both shows..

if they are going to continue with the brand extention, have brand-only pay-per-views (and we don't want that) so that we can have enouugh time to build feuds.. right now we don't have enough time..

by killing the brand extention, we have twice as much time hype the feud.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts

The brand split is over. I fail to see the purpose of a draft.

·
Registered
64 Posts

The draft was one of my favourite programs, It's fun for me to see who goes to whatever show. There is still a bit of a point in doing it as it does SEEM, that wrestlers on Raw don't go to SD as much as the other way around and it still seems to influence who goes after what belt. Having said that, I don't know if it's enough to actually warrant a draft this year.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts

I liked the brand extentions. It organised wrestlers by having titles on each brands. Not to mention the exciting Samckdown vs RAW feuds. Also from the business point of view, it was the good decision as it made money.

·
Registered
299 Posts

Always loved the draft, holding out for a late one this year! I'd love to see a few changes.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts

currently there is a point in the brand extension and people forget this.

Supershows are only on RAW, that means the Smackdown roster is important.
Also it decides which belts are decided where WWE belt isnt on Smackdown and WHC belt isnt on RAW.

However I want the brand split to end and I think it is better for the future of the company with the roster being so thing.

Just make both RAW and Smackdown supershows all belts can be on both held and defended on both shows, and feuds can carry on from RAW to Smackdown and visera versa.

I also think they should change Smackdown to a Thursday and make it live, although that isn't going to happen.

Smackdown needs to be taken more seriously and it appears they sometime struggle to pad out the whole show.

Ending the split will then free up talent to mingle between both shows and I think this would also benefit programmes like superstars as well.

I think WWE is using the Supershow gimmick as a way to test the water and see how well it goes down before making any hasty decisions, I also expect unifying the belts to be a major story line possibly this year.

time shall tell but at the moment the brand split is still very much relevant.

·
Premium Member
17,321 Posts

Also it decides which belts are decided where WWE belt isnt on Smackdown and WHC belt isnt on RAW.

However I want the brand split to end and I think it is better for the future of the company with the roster being so thing.

Just make both RAW and Smackdown supershows all belts can be on both held and defended on both shows, and feuds can carry on from RAW to Smackdown and visera versa.

I also think they should change Smackdown to a Thursday and make it live, although that isn't going to happen.

Smackdown needs to be taken more seriously and it appears they sometime struggle to pad out the whole show.

Ending the split will then free up talent to mingle between both shows and I think this would also benefit programmes like superstars as well.

I think WWE is using the Supershow gimmick as a way to test the water and see how well it goes down before making any hasty decisions, I also expect unifying the belts to be a major story line possibly this year.

this. and it will help out heel Big Johnny to sanction matches as he sees fit. like he can refuse to let Rock fight Brock because "Rock is on smackdown and Brock is on Raw Brands, so they can't compete for championships." something like that.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I agree with this.

I think that after Jericho/Punk and Sheamus/D-Bry feuds are over we might start to see a big of cross over with the title shots.

Now that I think about it, we did have Mark Henry (SD) going for the WWE title recently and Alberto(Raw) going for the WHC. I think this sort of thing will start to happen more and more but time will tell.

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,817 Posts

The brand split has pros and cons. Pros are that some people who don't normally get in the spotlight have more of a chance to get out there.

Cons....everything else, including the fact that the above pro is not always utilized.

You get guys appearing on any show they want....the whole point if being drafted to a show is for you to be 'exclusive' to that show.....if you aren't, what's the point?

Before the brand split, you could mix any two guys in a feud. Now, they are just limited to whoever is on that brand's roster.

I hope they kill the brand split and make it a free for all again. This could create much fresher feuds than limiting rosters.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Should WWE end the brand split?

What's the point of the having the brand split now since both RAW and SMACKDOWN superstars are appearing on both shows?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts

I agree with this.

I think that after Jericho/Punk and Sheamus/D-Bry feuds are over we might start to see a big of cross over with the title shots.

Now that I think about it, we did have Mark Henry (SD) going for the WWE title recently and Alberto(Raw) going for the WHC. I think this sort of thing will start to happen more and more but time will tell.
Well, there is a kayfabe reason for the Mark Henry thing. Since Johnny Ace is the GM of both brands, he can book talent however he pleases, and since he isn't fond of CM Punk, he'd send anyone to take the belt off of him, regardless of what show they are on.

Del Rio is going after the WHC because he IS now officially a SmackDown star again.

In regards to interbrand title feuds, this isn't the first time they have happened. Remember WM 25?

I'm thinking we could have a stricter brand split any time now. There may not be a point in having an actual draft, but with Del Rio being quietly traded to SmackDown, I can see Superstars being shuffled around without an official draft event in the next coming months, with the brand split being re-enforced once all the WM-rematch feuds are over.

The Cena/Lesnar feud could even possibly lead to the end of the SuperShow. Now that they have a big star in Brock Lesnar back, Lesnar can be the "face" of RAW, while John Cena can move to SmackDown in a role similar to Taker's, a guy who everyone comes to see, yet has a minimal presence, and the guy who gets to close PPVs every so often just to give off the illusion that the brands are equal.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
The draft is pointless with the supershows. And there's nothing left to do with a Draft show.

OMG, John Cena is on Smackdown! One hour later, LOL j/k, he's not.

And with one GM running both shows it makes even less sense. Johnny can trade whoever he wants. He did it with Del Rio.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There is no point in doing a draft this year if they are going to continue with the Super Show concept. The original idea behind the Draft was that you would only be able to see Raw guys on Raw and SmackDown guys on SmackDown. All of the top SmackDown guys show up on Raw now anyway. They should end the Brand Extension and trim the main roster down to the guys and gals people actually want to see, send some of the cut performers to Superstars as modern day jobbers or NXT for further seasoning.

However if they are going to continue with the Draft, I would like to see The Miz go to SmackDown so they can push him and bring Cody Rhodes over to Raw to build him up toward the main event picture. Send Lord Tensai to SmackDown while we're at it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts