Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Baby Yoda
29,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No reason these shows should go over 4 hours unless it's WM.

They're not NJPW, they don't have the talent that New Japan has to go 5 and they're trying to limit themselves to 4 hours.

New Japan can go 5 because they have those awesome main events, these guys don't.

3 hours optimum and you can go 4 for a Royal Rumble. I wouldn't go 4 for a regular PPV. They're so insistent on these long shows that by the end of the show people are tired, they're not reacting to the big matches the way they should, it makes for a show that drags. There's so many problems with long shows and yet they keep doing it.

There's no sign of any change, shows are going longer rather than shorter.

After every one of these shows, the big thing after these shows is 'god that show was long'.

The other thing is that they do that 2 and half hour show on Saturday night which is always great and everyone says it's great. One of the reasons everyone says it's great is when you're ready for the say to end - it ends. 2 and half hrs in and you get 5 great matches, maybe 4. You're satisfied, you're happy and then the next day you're exhausted. Wrestling isn't meant to exhaust you, it's meant to entertain you.
Tonight's WOR

·
Baby Yoda
29,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Why is every opinion of Dave Meltzer thread worthy??

Seriously, can there just be a Dave Meltzer thread that all his "journalism" can be put in?
Dave is a respected journalist and wrestling personality these days :shrug

I agree with him on the long shows, they're probably better off going back to brand PPVs.

There's so many dead spots on shows because everyone needs a match.

·
CHIEFS KINGDOM!
3,225 Posts
We all now Metlzer has made his opinions on WWE very clear we all know he loves workrate and NJPW.
Doesn't make him wrong about WWE's long ass dragging shows though. I just watched the 2 fucking hour Kickoff show and I have to watch the Rumble tomorrow because fuck that.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
Dave is a respected journalist and wrestling personality these days :shrug

I agree with him on the long shows, they're probably better off going back to brand PPVs.

There's so many dead spots on shows because everyone needs a match.
Respected is a subjective term though. I don't respect him. I think he makes a bunch of stuff up for clicks and subscriptions.

Of course he gets things right sometimes, and other times he misses the mark completely. But he always has his "plans change" safety net to fall back on.

I was questioning why every single opinion he has needs to be turned into its own thread.

Doesn't make him wrong about WWE's long ass dragging shows though. I just watched the 2 fucking hour Kickoff show and I have to watch the Rumble tomorrow because fuck that.
2 hour kickoff shows are entirely unnecessary!! Especially when so much time is taken up by the video packages that they show before the matches anyway!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Even the greatest movies don't on for 5 hours. It's 5 freaking hours, it's basically sacrificing all of your free time and no one except hardcore fans are going to do that and that can be a huge turn-off for anyone wanting to turn in

I think Dave hit it perfectly in the end. A wresting show, by nature, should have you asking for more since it works on cliffhanger. After 5 hours of PPV, not a single person is asking for more, they got enough wrestling for a lifetime.

It's like with any food. I personally love hamburgers. I will gladly 10 bucks for one well done and after I'm done, I cannot wait for the next time I will eat one. However, if you give me 10 hamburgers for 10 bucks and this is so much, I feel like I'm gonna puke by the end and just look at the leaving hamburgers with disgust, you can bet I am not gonna eat another one in a long time despite being one of my favorite food

·
ALL HAIL THE MAHARAJA
2,277 Posts
But what happened to this being the most talented roster of all time?

And if wrestlers don't make the card their fans have a bitch all on twitter. Case in point when AJ Styles missed ONE PPV last year.

·
Registered
879 Posts
He's right. The only reason they're doing those long ass shows is because they're trying to be nice to everybody and put as much people on the PPV as possible.

With the pre-show some of these shows are SEVEN hours. It's like a whole day of work in a 9 to 5 job. That's ludicrous.

Fuck what he said about New Japan, their 5 hours shows are boring as hell too.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Anything Dave Meltzer says needs to be taken with a grain of salt because he, Bryan Alvarez, Scott Keith and Wade Keller are the people who have shaped pro wrestling into total destruction with their attitudes. 5-Star Matches don't draw a dime and never will. And they need to have their wrestling journalist licenses taken away from them.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
As much as I love New Japan, I dont think they can really do 5 hour shows either for the most part. Yeah the big singles matches are incredible but the hours of 6,8,10 man tags preceding them are usually totally skippable.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Workrate is overrated anyways. Fans don't pay to see long boring matches with flips, needless repetitive moves. They can go watch Greco Olympics wrestling for that stuff, not for Pro Wrestling where it's about entertaining your audience through your characters, promos and gimmicks.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts