Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,706 Posts
WWE are putting on Wrestlemania to fulfil contract obligations.

AEW are putting on shows to entertain us in these dark times. :)
That makes zero sense.

Explain how one fulfills contract obligations by running the show in an empty arena (that isn't even the venue they booked a year in advance) and airing it on a platform in which they're giving three free months of access to.

·
Registered
157 Posts
To me they don't deserve criticism or praise. They're just a company trying to keep income coming in. They're not the only one. They're not heroes for doing that, but they're not wrong or bad either.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
That makes zero sense.

Explain how one fulfills contract obligations by running the show in an empty arena (that isn't even the venue they booked a year in advance) and airing it on a platform in which they're giving three free months of access to.

Not to mention the platform that airs WrestleMania and is free for three months is a platform that WWE themselves OWN.

·
Premium Member
14,706 Posts
To me they don't deserve criticism or praise. They're just a company trying to keep income coming in. They're not the only one. They're not heroes for doing that, but they're not wrong or bad either.
But, how are they keeping income coming in; particularly, to the extent of justifying them moving forward with a Wrestlemania card that, under normal circumstances, would've generated upwards of $20 million? Never mind the Network situation, where those potential Wrestlemania sign ups, under normal circumstances, have free subscriptions for the remainder of the quarter.

If anything, the fact that they're giving away three free months of Network access deserves unanimous praise, as they didn't have to and few likely would've had an issue if they didn't.

·
Registered
157 Posts
But, how are they keeping income coming in; particularly, to the extent of justifying them moving forward with a Wrestlemania card that, under normal circumstances, would've generated upwards of $20 million? Never mind the Network situation, where those potential Wrestlemania sign ups, under normal circumstances, have free subscriptions for the remainder of the quarter.

If anything, the fact that they're giving away three free months of Network access deserves unanimous praise, as they didn't have to and few likely would've had an issue if they didn't.
I'll give you that but it's a smart business move to give 3 months free long-term. How many people are worried about finances right now and would probably cancel ASAP if they had to pay? It's better to give people a few months free and hopefully things are better by then and they stay on as customers for years instead of those people cancelling. So on many customers you may eat $30 but gain hundreds in the next few years if they don't cancel. Sure they could always sign back up later but you just don't know if they will.

I'm not saying WWE is an evil company or anything, but people go overboard acting like they're some charity everything they do is about money and I'm not critical of that, it's what a business is supposed to do.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Just saw that there will be a Shutdown order Thursday 11pm in Orlando. Good thing WWE is taping everything.

Some of you clowns thought that WWE could just postpone Wrestlemania or do it live. Shit is serious

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I'll give you that but it's a smart business move to give 3 months free long-term. How many people are worried about finances right now and would probably cancel ASAP if they had to pay? It's better to give people a few months free and hopefully things are better by then and they stay on as customers for years instead of those people cancelling. So on many customers you may eat $30 but gain hundreds in the next few years if they don't cancel. Sure they could always sign back up later but you just don't know if they will.

I'm not saying WWE is an evil company or anything, but people go overboard acting like they're some charity everything they do is about money and I'm not critical of that, it's what a business is supposed to do.

Of course, every business should be about money and WWE is definitely not to be considered a charity but in this particular circumstance, WWE is going to great lengths to provide a show to its fanbase while actively losing money in the immediate future by doing so.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The money being lost is out of their control they can't do anything about that. Can't risk postponement either because who knows how the summer will be and too difficult to arrange a Wrestlemania on short notice especially when it could get called off too. They really had no choice.

While there's no ideal solution with what's going on this is the smartest move they can make. You give people 3 months free and if everything is resolved by this summer, you start making money off those people. It's like an investment. I already explained how it wouldn't be smart to force people to pay their subscriptions right now. Gotta play the long game. If it gets them some good P.R. from fans, even better.

·
Premium Member
14,706 Posts
The money being lost is out of their control they can't do anything about that. Can't risk postponement either because who knows how the summer will be and too difficult to arrange a Wrestlemania on short notice especially when it could get called off too. They really had no choice.
How is it a risk?

A risk is exposure to loss. You can't say they're taking a loss by postponing a show they're actually losing money on by not postponing, especially if you're going to classify the decision to continue the show as them being:

...a company trying to keep income coming in
How would that keep income coming in?

While there's no ideal solution with what's going on this is the smartest move they can make. You give people 3 months free and if everything is resolved by this summer, you start making money off those people. It's like an investment.
But what if it isn't?

It's like you're saying they couldn't postpone Wrestlemania, in hopes of making money later but could give free access to the Network until the summer, in hopes of making money later.

And I'm certainly not saying they should postpone Wrestlemania. I'm saying if the objective was to "keep income coming in", they had a choice, just like every form of sports & entertainment on this planet had a choice.

And WWE chose to do something they can't even make money from.

·
Premium Member
10,182 Posts
Are you telling me I should commend them for putting lives, like a very vulnerable Roman Reigns, at risk for no reason? Yes, they must fulfil their TV slot but they have plenty of back catalogue and expert video editors to make compilations or "best ofs" for the next couple of months.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts