Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to this pandemic, Wrestlemania was moved from a Football Stadium in front of over 60,000 people to the performance center in front of zero fans. Instead of being live, Wrestlemania is being taped. In fact all the shows will be taped in front of zero fans. In a world where everything is being shut down, no sports, many tv shows have stopped production, many movie releases have delayed their launch, many social gatherings, restaurants, bars ect... have closed. WWE still decides to go on airing shows and when they probably don't need too they are still going ahead with Wrestlemania. Giving us fans something to look forward to watching that weekend and the weeks after. Heck they even made the Network free for everyone, don't even need a subscription to view everything on the Network. So why are a lot of people giving WWE shit for this whole situation?

Go on Facebook, twitter and all you see is hatred for whatever WWE decides to do. Saying "WWE is a joke", "Who wants to see this shit show", they are killing Wrestlemania". Don't you think people would be more grateful that they are at least giving us programming and doing the best with whatever situation they are given? Do people think WWE wants to do this and their bright idea is to put on a 2 taped Wresrlemania in front of no fans just to fuck with the fans? They were forced too and instead of just cancelling they are doing this FOR the fans. You would think fans may be more grateful about this, but I guess not. Is this an ideal situation? No, will I fault them for doing this, no.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
You would assume people would be more receptive to WWE's efforts to entertain them in this harsh and stressful situation we are currently mired in but here we are.

Personally I am grateful that they are trying to provide us fans some sort of escape from the current reality that we are facing. Their efforts are to be commended not condemned.

·
Registered
263 Posts
WWE are putting on Wrestlemania to fulfil contract obligations.

AEW are putting on shows to entertain us in these dark times. :)

·
Premium Member
16,736 Posts
I've seen about 3-5 people, on this forum, be upset and angry at WWE presenting Mania in this way. Haven't seen anyone hate on WWE on Twitter and facebook; don't have many connections to people who follow wrestling.

Everyone else is disappointed, but not at WWE for doing what they can. People are upset we'll miss Mania in front of a live crowd. I've only seen dissapointment, but not targeted hate towards WWE. There's been those 3-5 idiots who always have something hateful to say, always the hyperbole.

On the other hand, uou can think WWE is not putting on a good product and still recognize they're under unusual circumstances. It doesn't have to be 100% love or 100% hate. I don't like that WWE is putting on old matches on live TV episodes. I don't like that they can't perform in front of a live audience. I don't owe WWE anything; not a dime or an ounce of gratitude. I've bought merch, I pay for Hulu, I pay for the Network. I am their customer who pays for their service. I am allowed to be upset when the level of service drops but the amount I pay does not.

On the other hand, I bet most of the people you see trashing it don't pay for Hulu or the Network, probably using their parent's cable.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I am just confused by the amount of people who think postponing is this great idea. We have absolutely no idea when things will be back to normal. The important matches have been building for months already. Putting it on pause is an awful idea.
There is more than just booking issues in postponement as well. The logistical issues postponing WrestleMania poses are immense. Booking a venue, advertising, local infrastructure, ticket sales, allowing fans to fit the travel and "free" time required to attend into their schedules, etc. It isn't just about arranging a later date for the show to take place. There is an incredible amount of work involved in making an event like WrestleMania happen.

·
Registered
42 Posts

What contract obligations? Also, a force majeure such as this nulls and voids most contracts.

Honestly, I'm kind of thankful to all the performers, the crew, the producers, everyone involved for still committing to putting on an event which might give people a sense of escapism for a little bit.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Actually most of us on here have said it's a great concept what WWE is doing considering the circumstances unless it gets so bad that they are forced to take the insurance payout by cancelling WM altogether. 2 night WM is more safe as well in this rare case. The problem was with their t-shirt marketing, weird, and then you had Strowman telling independent wrestlers whose bookings have been cancelled to stop being poor.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
6,763 Posts
I think people are upset for 2 reasons mostly. It's not being postponed and WWE is phoning it in. But I do agree. As much as WWE sucks, they don't deserve all of the hate. It's a shitty situation and they really don't have to give us anything at all. I don't agree with the people that are calling for it to be postponed personally. They should just get it out of the way and take the loss. We have no idea when the social distancing thing is gonna end.

A lot of it also stems from the fact that AEW had a great show despite the circumstances. Their show was the definition of making something great out of a bad situation. WWE is not even trying creatively, and its WM season. How can little old AEW put in this amount of effort and be entertaining but juggernaut WWE can't? They have no excuse honestly. Yes it's a shit situation, but don't just give up and say fuck it. Laziness is laziness no matter how you look at it. If AEW didn't exist, I'm sure they wouldn't be getting half of the hate they are getting now. A lot of it is entitlement too. Fans think they are entitled to great content. And if they are paying for it with money and viewership, can you blame them?

Personally I don't care because I don't watch the live shows anymore anyway. Regardless, I'm happy that I'll have something to watch that weekend. Hopefully they put some effort into the tapings.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

This here is 100% proof of the double standards the fans show these two companies. If you said AEW had a good show and WWE didn't that would be fine (and true), but instead you're questioning their reasons with no proof and giving them different reasons despite the two companies doing the exact same thing. Why would one be doing something for good and the other isn't?

·
Registered
234 Posts
You would assume people would be more receptive to WWE's efforts to entertain them in this harsh and stressful situation we are currently mired in but here we are.

Personally I am grateful that they are trying to provide us fans some sort of escape from the current reality that we are facing. Their efforts are to be commended not condemned.
Entertainment is not free
Just for the money

·
IRAN #1
2,308 Posts
They shouldn't be doing live programming now, that's part of the issue... Everything has closed down for now but WWE is too stubborn to.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts