Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread isn't meant to talk about the similarities and differences between WWE and UFC, but there are some things that UFC does which I really think WWE should start to do.

The past UFC ppv is the example I'm gonna use. I don't even follow UFC with the exception of their ppvs and even then I was excited to see this ppv all because of all the hype you see around a single match. After the fight was done, GSP even said that he really believes Koscheck was acting how he was the past while just because he wanted to add all this hype up for the ppv and the fight and it really worked as fans were actually clapping for Koscheck once realizing this.

I'm sure lots of people know that WWE doesn't have the greatest main event scene compared to years past, but they should still be hyping up matches like crazy and getting people so excited for a ppv, regardless of how the rest of the card looks. That doesnt mean that WWE should just forget about putting effort into the rest of the card(though majority of the time, it looks like that already), but they need to really hype up matches and feuds so that people will want to see this ppv and won't just be like "it's just another ppv with ___ and ___,nothing that special".

Another thing is uniqueness. After each fight at the ppv, you got a different feeling from each one but in WWE, after each match it's sorta the same feeling. Presentation wise as well in WWE it's basically the same, and has been like that for 3-4 years now. UFC also doesn't have commentators talking as much as they do in WWE. For WWE it seems like they talk all the time while in in UFC, they talk for about 70% of the time that WWE commentators talk for and it seems like the less talking, the more into the match you'll be and the less you'll have to hear random stories about things non related to the match or wwe in general.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be like "UFC is better" or "WWE sucks". If you look at my posts on this forum, I probably make fun of WWE less than 99% of ppl on here, but I'm just saying that WWE should be doing some smart things and utilizing strategies that others are doing in order to make WWE better.

·
Banned
3,457 Posts
I have no idea why the WWE doesn't hype their PPV's. But yeah, UFC does an extremely good job of doing so and WWE definitely needs to take pointers of this.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Ugh, the ME's nowadays suck in the WWE.

EDIT: Where's the: "And be sure to catch ________ vs _______ in a ____________ Match for the WWE/WHC Title this Sunday at the _________" *play promo that doesn't consist of voices being mixed around and things being repeated*

And how about not having PPV's every other day? I'm pretty sure that plays a huge factor as to why the content we've had in past months has been drained.

·
Tiësto
1,865 Posts
I haven't been following WWE for a while (2½ years), except occasionally browsing Stormwrestling when I'm bored. However, I have been watching the UFC with guys from time to time and I see your point. Lance Storm has also been mentioning about the fact that WWE doesn't do a good job in getting PPV buys, or, in other words, fail to draw hype for the card.

In my opinion WWE went in the wrong direction already in 2004 when they added the total amount of PPV's a year from 12 to 14 (IIRC). Back then people logged in here and complained about the oversupply of PPV's. I also think that having exclusive PPV's to each brand was kind of a good idea. It meant that SummerSlam, Survivor Series, Royal Rumble and WrestleMania were more special since it was the only time both brands participated simultanously at a show. These days the brand lines have been blurred dramatically, which IMO is bad. Plus, when a brand had 8 weeks to build up for a PPV it could create good feuds.

Another big problem is that there are too many title matches on free TV. World Titles should per rule only be defended on PPV! The booking is also a big reason why WWE can create demand. I could go on and on at how to improve it but the first step would be to bring back the amount of PPV's to 12, one per month and focus on the booking around them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have said many times that the WWE or just Pro Wrestling as a whole needs to take notice from what Dana White is doing.

UFC has huge buy rates, and WWE and TNA's rates are in the toilet. Bischoff blames this on PPV being dead, but when you see how many people are buying the UFC PPV's you see it's all the opposite.

If WWE would actually hype their PPV's and do less of them (maybe 8?) and only defend the world title on PPV's, AND Only have ONE world title, then i think they could really pull themselves back up. Cut the brand shit, i think it's useless and divides the audience in a bad way. Mainly because they end up putting the A talent on Raw, the B on smackdown, and the C is tossed back and forth between developmental and Smackdown.

·
pretending to be nice
1,492 Posts
I agree that WWE could do a better job hyping their PPV's, or just in general building them up. It's not fair to compare them to UFC though, because WWE has the same main events all the time. If Lesnar and Mir fought every week it would get really old really fast.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Personally I believe that WWE hypes certain matches brilliantly. In UFC it's limited as to what you can do to build up a fight (pretty much just interviews and press conferences).

Now look at the hype for say, Sabu vs Tazz in ECW which was built on them avoiding each other. Or how about HBK's final match, built around one man's self-destruction through desperation. Sure, the midcard could do with some work in the hype department but overall I'd take WWE's build over UFC's any day. Most UFC interviews seem the same anyway (Talk through the fight, how you won, it was a good fight, where to next etc).

We just take it for granted because we've had this variety for so long now. It's easy to say WWE never do anything new but when you compare it to UFC, WWE is always going to have more variety because it can script itself that variety, it can CHOOSE to be different. In UFC, you fight to win. In WWE, you wrestle to entertain.

(Oh and BTW, I'm a big fan of both companies).
UFC also doesn't have commentators talking as much as they do in WWE. For WWE it seems like they talk all the time while in in UFC, they talk for about 70% of the time that WWE commentators talk for and it seems like the less talking,
WWE is on TV a whole fucking lot more than UFC is. They gotta' stretch things out, think of things to talk about. Hell, in a PPV week they're on TV for NINE hours, Michael Cole probably covering all of it. People underestimate how hard it is to sound natural, entertaining, knowledgable, in-character etc for all that time, as well as the fact that most people in the world couldn't talk in front of camera anyway, let alone do it as your job.

The fact is that in WWE, the action is scripted so they need to build up the action. In UFC, if it sucks then it sucks, if it rules then it rules, there's no sugar-coating it.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^But commentators in sports like nhl,nba manage to find interesting things to talk about and for nhl-nba they commentate for 2-3 games a week, baseball is 6-7 days a week and they manage to stay good.

·
Resident Old Man
3,677 Posts
This is just my thought, but the reason the UFC gets such good hyped PPVs is because they don't have them as often as the WWE. Before someone says, but they are monthly, realize that the same people don't fight at every PPV. For example, GSP just fought. He wasn't hurt at all really, but he won't fight again for 3-6 months. His next fight will likely be decided in a month or two max, so he will have the next 3-4 months to hype the fight.

In the WWE when you have the same two guys fighting at multiple PPVs in a row, its hard to hype their match. They try as best as they can, but the build up will never equal the UFC.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Not really. Dana White is pretty much copying Vince's 1980s strategy of how to promote fights. Which is a copy of how old boxing matches were promoted

Problem is, the market has changed. When back in the 80s if you even had a glimpse of Hogan you had to pay, now you expect John Cena to wrestle every single night on RAW on free TV. You simply expect it nowadays. If Vince went back to the 1980s style of booking, the UFC style, people would start a riot.

But yeah, WWE should build up more matches to mean more.

·
"The Sex Tornado"
2,260 Posts
I hardly see mass hype for any PPV other than Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, and Summerslam. Other than that, WWE pretty much trusts their fan base since buyrates (minus 2010) have been consistent since 2004.

One of the main reasons is the fact that WWE (in a low economy) still runs 13 PPVs (at $44.95) that feature pro-longed feuds where you can miss a PPV or two and still catch the conclusion. On the other hand, UFC's PPVs you do not see the same fights (or fighters) on back-to-back cards. Their top stars such as Lesnar, GSP, Anderson Silva, Rampage, and etc. are usually placed on different cards and are used to hype the event. That is what makes UFC's PPV buyrates huge. It is something different at every event. WWE, not so much. WWE's top stars are always competing on free TV. What is the point in buying a PPV if you can see your favorite wrestler compete on a weekly basis, and sometimes in the same match that they'd have on PPV (Kane vs. Edge 2 weeks ago on SD)? WWE takes a chunk out of the hype once the two superstars are involved in a match together, more often than not, every other week via tag matches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts