Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
~Believe~
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys could you clear this up for me? I am watching wrestlemania 2000 and it has gotten to the Hardcore title Battle royal. The ref says that if there is a pin fall, the person WINS THE HARDCORE TITLE, but the title could be won as many times in 15 minutes. Now in the match 10 MEN WIN THE TITLE but on WWE.com only ONE of the title wins is recognized. However on WIKIPEDIA all 10 title wins are recognized....now I am well aware Wikipedia is not 100% reliable, but before the match it was stated that whoever makes a pin fall in the 15 minutes, they win the hardcore title. So did WWE.com make a mistake by not recognizing those other championship wins?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think it is a convenience thing.

It's just the hardcore title after all, not worth noting down reigns that lasted mere seconds in history. No one cares in the end.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I'd say it's a similar situation to the Scramble match. In that match whoever gets the pinfall or submission is considered champion until the next fall with the title going to whoever had the last fall when the time limit expires. Whenever a fall is made the winner gets announced as the current champion on the graphic but that reign is not officially recognised, quite rightly in my opinion. This is why Brian Kendrick is not officially a former world champion.

There isn't really a right answer, both interpetations are correct, it's up to you which you choose to believe. I would go with WWE's version of events personally.

·
~Believe~
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say it's a similar situation to the Scramble match. In that match whoever gets the pinfall or submission is considered champion until the next fall with the title going to whoever had the last fall when the time limit expires. Whenever a fall is made the winner gets announced as the current champion on the graphic but that reign is not officially recognised, quite rightly in my opinion. This is why Brian Kendrick is not officially a former world champion.

There isn't really a right answer, both interpetations are correct, it's up to you which you choose to believe. I would go with WWE's version of events personally.
no I would go with WWE aswell but the problem is they are telling both ways, like before the match the ref does say if you make a pin, you are the official WWE Hardcore champion, and they said there could be any amount of championship reigns in the 15 minutes, so I was confused since they didn't recognize it on the site but made it clear that if a pinfall was made, the person would be the official hardcore champion lol. But yes the scramble thing did come to mind

·
Banned
10,897 Posts

That's exactly what it is. Like the scramble match, they became the "interim champion" for that 15 minute timeframe, until a new interim champion got crowned. Whomever was champion at the end of 15 minutes, was the official champion.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
no I would go with WWE aswell but the problem is they are telling both ways, like before the match the ref does say if you make a pin, you are the official WWE Hardcore champion, and they said there could be any amount of championship reigns in the 15 minutes, so I was confused since they didn't recognize it on the site but made it clear that if a pinfall was made, the person would be the official hardcore champion lol. But yes the scramble thing did come to mind
Tbh I would just ignore the match in it's entireity due to the utter stupidity of it. Let's think about this shall we, the Hardcore title is contested under the 24/7 rule meaning that any time there is a referee and a challenger the title is up for grabs but, for some reason, they book a match with a time limit. Why would the challengers allow the match to end when they could just keep going? I have to confess that I don't remember the finish so it's possible that the winner wa able to make a quick getaway but that still doesn't excuse it.

·
~Believe~
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tbh I would just ignore the match in it's entireity due to the utter stupidity of it. Let's think about this shall we, the Hardcore title is contested under the 24/7 rule meaning that any time there is a referee and a challenger the title is up for grabs but, for some reason, they book a match with a time limit. Why would the challengers allow the match to end when they could just keep going? I have to confess that I don't remember the finish so it's possible that the winner wa able to make a quick getaway but that still doesn't excuse it.
lol well to be honest the end is really bad lol, the ref messes up the count badly. And the time limit is there because after the 15 minutes the 24/7 rule ENDED, so after that match the hardcore title would only be contested in a official match, not under 24/7 rules.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Actually their wins/reigns within the Battle Royal were recognized, it was only up until recently that it was retconned for the sake of convenience perhaps.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The Bryan Kendrick was a former world champion.

I really wanted him to hold on to it in that match, i'm not even a fan of his i just thought it'd be funny as hell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts