Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure to put this in General WWE or Sports.

Years ago WWE.com published a list of wrestling's 25 greatest talkers.

25. Captain Lou Albano
24. Rick Rude
23. Santino Marella
22. Ted Dibiase Sr.
21. The Miz
20. Jesse Ventura
19. Triple H
18. Paul Heyman
17. Edge
16. Mr. McMahon
15. Billy Graham
14. **** Foley
13. Hulk Hogan
12. CM Punk
11. Randy Savage
10. JBL
9. Bobby Heenan
8. Dusty Rhodes
7. John Cena
6. Jake Roberts
5. Chris Jericho
4. Ric Flair
3. The Rock
2. Roddy Piper
1. Steve Austin

If you don't know, Muhummad Ali talked trash constantly when he was a professional boxer. I've always considered Ali to be the closest we'll ever see of a real pro wrestler. He was in a one on one combat sport, and talked trash constantly in interviews. He often spouted rhymes and displayed quick wit, to the point where his public persona matched that of a pro wrestler's persona.

If you had to put Ali somewhere on this list for his work talking and giving interviews, where would you rank him?

EDIT: Here are 2 videos of Ali talking trash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT-pfZAQvxw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsAC4lhbE0g

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Ali was the ORIGINAL People's Champion.
The first to use the catchphrase "The Champ is Here"
The first self proclaimed GOAT

Ali = No. 1

EDIT: for those who are unaware, check his "Thrilla in Manilla" promo
EDIT 2: here's the vid:

·
women sense my power and they seek the life essenc
11,657 Posts
Ali was the ORIGINAL People's Champion.
The first to use the catchphrase "The Champ is Here"
The first self proclaimed GOAT

Ali = No. 1

EDIT: for those who are unaware, check his "Thrilla in Manilla" promo
EDIT 2: here's the vid:
I like Ali, but this wasn't even as good as the average Ric Flair promo. Saying he's number one all time is ridiculous when Ali was doing this as a side thing and Flair was cutting dozens of promos a day for local promotions (not just Flair, but the average 80s territory wrestler). Ali is clearly not as comfortable in front of the camera here as the average wrestler and he's also not able to hide the fact that he's reading from a script.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
53,089 Posts
Santino? :lmao

There goes any credibility this list might have had.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I like Ali, but this wasn't even as good as the average Ric Flair promo. Saying he's number one all time is ridiculous when Ali was doing this as a side thing and Flair was cutting dozens of promos a day for local promotions (not just Flair, but the average 80s territory wrestler). Ali is clearly not as comfortable in front of the camera here as the average wrestler and he's also not able to hide the fact that he's reading from a script.
The fact of the matter is that throughout the build up to the Thrilla In Manilla match, Ali cut several promos. This was the only one that I could find on YouTube, but you can google and find the transcripts of many of them.

I have seen many epic promos by him, which he cut unscripted in front of thousands in attendnce. Ric Flair had stylin and profilin, no doubt, but most of the times it was forced. Ali had a natural swag about him, and he didnt need to shout at the top of his lungs like Flair to get his point across.

When it comes to pro-Wrestling, Rock and Flair are the top 2 greatest talkers, but one can easily make a case for Ali being in their ranks if he was a pro-wrestler. Keep in mind that this legit sport of Boxing didn't have the larger than life characters like the cartoonish world of Pro-Wrestling, so it is obvious that Ali's promo doesn't seem as good as Flair's average promo. But at THAT time, in THOSE circumstances, it was revolutionary for a pro-Boxer to cut such promos.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
OMG, I wonder if Ultimate Warrior got those snorting sounds from Ali. I swear that is what I thought at the end of that Ali video. Here is my thing when comparing. Ali came from a world where over the top promos were not required. He basically brought them to the mainstream outside of wrestling. It is said the he was influenced by Gorgeous George. Ali did have a very natural charisma about him and he wasn't hyping a scripted match. He really had this much confidence in himself. It is hard for me to compare his promos directly to wrestlers because it wasn't part of his job, it was just him being him. Do I think if he practiced as much as the wrestlers that he could easily be top 5? Absolutely.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Miz ahead of DiBiase and Cena ahead of Savage makes me wanna take a huge poop.

·
Likes wrestling....
9,145 Posts
I think whoever writes these lists for the WWE is about the worst wrestling historian in history. Any list like this has to include Arn Anderson and Jerry Lawler.

This list is one of their better ones but still sucks.

Ali was the blueprint for guys like Rhodes and Graham.

Easily top 5.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Flair and Piper are 1A and 1B

Reactions: Skins

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ali would have been a great pro wrestler, imo. Charismatic and a great talker. a little tall for the average person and very athletic.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Ali is very good on the mic.Boxing is so much different from pro-wrestling,so he could have cut better promos as a pro-wrestler.Judging from what I have seen,Ali's promos reminds of Flair's promos.I still don't think he cut intense promos like Austin,make me laugh like Rock or thrash talk like Piper.

·
Nihilistic Mystics
6,005 Posts
Typical WWE.com shit list.

The Miz and Santino are on this list but Jerry Lawler, Arn Anderson and Terry Funk aren't. Tells me all I need to know. A bunch of 22 year old interns who think wrestling started in 2000 and are earning $8 an hour wrote this shit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts