Wrestling Forum banner

Is WWE responsible for the health and well being of the wrestlers mentioned in the lawsuit?

• Yes - And it's about f***in time

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 43.2%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all.

For those unfamiliar, the following link has a description of the lawsuit.

https://t.co/g74SmOcikk

Do you think the lawsuit has merit? Is WWE in fact responsible for how the lives of these wrestlers turned out in terms of health?

I personally read the documentation, and it has valid points.

This whole "independent contractor" thing is just bullsh**.

·
Banned
4,811 Posts
I hope WWE loses. Treating employees as if they are Über drivers for putting their bodies on the line 3-4 times a week and with such an exhausting travel schedule is wrong:

Had WWE not fraudulently misclassified its wrestlers, including Plaintiff, as independent contractors, Plaintiffs would have been protected by OSHA, FMLA, the NLR Act, and other federal and state laws

I hope this reels it in.

I also hope they take an L because management needs to be taken down a peg. Wrestlers need unions.

There are questionable plaintiff signees though, i.e., Sabu. He was there for like a minute. And what the fuck is Snuka there? Didn't Vince cover-up his murder? Like is that how Tamina is still employed?

OP, if you want that hit thread, summarize the main arguments of the lawsuit.

·
Registered
17,556 Posts
I hope WWE loses. Treating employees as if they are Über drivers for putting their bodies on the line 3-4 times a week and with such an exhausting travel schedule is wrong:

Had WWE not fraudulently misclassified its wrestlers, including Plaintiff, as independent contractors, Plaintiffs would have been protected by OSHA, FMLA, the NLR Act, and other federal and state laws

I hope this reels it in.

I also hope they take an L because management needs to be taken down a peg. Wrestlers need unions.

There are questionable plaintiff signees though, i.e., Sabu. He was there for like a minute. And what the fuck is Snuka there? Didn't Vince cover-up his murder? Like is that how Tamina is still employed?

OP, if you want that hit thread, summarize the main arguments of the lawsuit.
Sabu confirmed he isn't in the lawsuit.

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
Its bullshit because a large chunk of the wrestlers wrestled waaaay before WWF/WWE and then wrestled for years after so how the fuck can one point the WWE at fault? Its like if i spend decades working for Sainsburys, then spend a little time at Asda and end up at Tesco where i retire but oh i then find i have accumulated injuries from the heavy lifting, im not gonna turn around and sue Asda....It really angers me because there might be genuine cases but a large amount DID wrestle for years yet blame WWE? I have never stepped in a ring but even as a layman even i fucking know there's a high risk of injury doing it, so sorry i don't fel this lawsuit is anything but a stinking pile of shit. If the only reason they're suing WWE is because its the only company around well tough shit just shows you money is the only driving factor

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
If they'd stick to the WWE wrestlers aren't independent contractors argument they have a definite case..

If they try and say WWE are liable for injuries suffered throughout long careers with many different companies I don't think they have a very good case at all. I don't know if Raven for example is part of the lawsuit, but if he is, WWEs counter argument can literally be a DVD highlighting his work in other companies.

So I guess it depends what the endgame of the lawsuit is, trying to better conditions in WWE for future and current guys or getting a check cut to pay some medical bills. Yes that's an over simplification, but I none the less wonder what the endgame is.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
I havnt read much, havnt got the time to read 214 pages so forgive me for not knowing the ins and outs of this document.

as its been said, you cannot prove all the damage in question was the fault of wwe so therefore I dont see how they can lose, I doubt you can prove beyond doubt that wwe is the sole factor in these issues due to lack of physical evidence and general knowledge that wwe wasnt the only wrestling promotion to work with these people.

to me this is one of those not taking responsibility for ones self, these people chose to wrestle, wwe didnt force them, the lack of CTE knowledge makes no difference imo, you put your body through throwing yourself at the ground etc its only expected you will get some kind of health problems.

fact is these wrestlers were not crying in a corner pleading with wwe to not make them wrestle, they went out and got on with it, how can wwe be held liable for something that happened decades ago that has only become apparent in recent years?

saying that, the likes of asbestos related problems have foundation in receiving compensation so who knows.

·
Benson, Charisma and Camila Mendes Fan. King Of Th
17,365 Posts
Ahmed Johnson out of all people suing Vince McMahon is a fucking joke. The dude claimed that the company forced him to do those suicide dives, ha what a fucking joke. No one told you to do those suicide dives at your height and your weight Mr. Johnson. Fuck out of here with this suing. Your ass is lucky to even lasted as long as you did in the company after you injured yourself and your opponents in the ring. :tripsscust

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
McMahon could provide health insurance to everybody on the main roster and he would still be a billionaire! You also can't be an "independent contractor" if you're signed to one company so that would classify them as an employee.

Wrestlers also aren't getting paid royalties for The Network. If there's any justice in this world, it will be WWE losing another case in court.

- Vic

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
Let's be honest they have no chance lol, waste of time & money

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I've been reading on the latest news about this and it seems it is leading me from a few months back although it is still happened this year I think this lawsuit is still ongoing. Considering all those names..and there's a lot.

·
Registered
17,556 Posts
If they do win only person who really comes out victorious is the lawyer. He's gone after the E before, and failed every time.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I mean, most (if not all) of those guys worked in many other promotions doing the exact same shit in worse conditions. I'm not saying what WWE does/has done is right by any means, but I don't see what WWE explicitly has done to these guys, their grievance is with the wrestling business, not WWE (WWE just happens to have the pocketbook).

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My question for guys like a Sabu wouldn't you sue the WWE since they own ECW and WCW. They bought those companies so they might be liable for any lawsuits that come from them. I'm not a legal scholar so I wouldn't know for sure but that makes sense why guys like that are included.

·
7,174 Posts
My question for guys like a Sabu wouldn't you sue the WWE since they own ECW and WCW. They bought those companies so they might be liable for any lawsuits that come from them.
this can happen I believe, though I have no idea how the rules of this are made up, I dont see why wwe should be held accountable for the physical aspects of a company at a time when they didn't own it but it would stand to reason that wwe did buy the company which therefore means they are the sole owners of it now and such might have to catch whatever is thrown at it.

this is where it all gets very complicated tbh.

·
Registered
17,556 Posts
this can happen I believe, though I have no idea how the rules of this are made up, I dont see why wwe should be held accountable for the physical aspects of a company at a time when they didn't own it but it would stand to reason that wwe did buy the company which therefore means they are the sole owners of it now and such might have to catch whatever is thrown at it.

this is where it all gets very complicated tbh.
Vince doesn't own WCW outright. He bought trademarks, video library and some contracts. WCW Inc. was still in business under universal wrestling corporation to deal with ongoing lawsuits and long term contracts. So if they're suing WWE for time in WCW, then Vince or whatever rep can prove this point.

·
7,174 Posts
Vince doesn't own WCW outright. He bought trademarks, video library and some contracts. WCW Inc. was still in business under universal wrestling corporation to deal with ongoing lawsuits and long term contracts. So if they're suing WWE for time in WCW, then Vince or whatever rep can prove this point.
well thats fair enough then, I wasnt aware of vince not completely owning it so yea again I cant see how you can pin any health problems directly onto wwe alone.

Reactions: zrc

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
Getting hit in the head with a chair is bad for you?

Well, what a fucking shock. :noshit2
I'm no medical expert but even i know if you get whacked several days a week with a fucking steel chair for years its obviously gona have a lasting effect. Some of these wrestlers need to take some fucking responsibility for their own well being. When i was a child i used to wear flip flops and kept scraping the fuck out of my toes does this mean i sue the company? No its MY FAULT...

Im sick and tired of people not accepting blame and demanding money for nothing. If some did get legit hurt in WWE then fair enough but fuck sake a chunk wrestled before WWE so can someone explain why its WWE fault for "hiding" injuries? Do these idiots not use their brains? "Uh gee well if im gonna get hit by chairs tables and ladders maybe that's gonna hurt huh...."

This scummy "lawyer" needs to be disbarred and banned from ever filing a fucking shred of court papers

1 - 20 of 44 Posts