Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a video from WWE's official YouTube channel and noticed that they censored out the Old School WWF logo throughout the entire video. They were censoring this:

This makes no sense. They have never censored that logo before. Remember the Old School Raw from 2010? They even used that logo on that RAW! Why are they censoring it now?

Here is the video:

·
I am Jack's broken heart
7,445 Posts
They're not censoring it. They just have raw footage of the old events and put they're current logo on it.

They can still use the old 1985-1996. Just the scratch logo is forbidden.

EDIT: Oh shit. Nevermind. They did censor it out during the footage of the Heenan interview. Didn't notice that before. Yeah, that's weird. Maybe some guy edited that out by mistake. Pretty sure they're still allowed to use the Golden Age logo.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're not censoring it. They just have raw footage of the old events and put they're current logo on it.

They can still use the old 1985-1996. Just the scratch logo is forbidden.

EDIT: Oh shit. Nevermind. They did censor it out during the footage of the Heenan interview. Didn't notice that before. Yeah, that's weird. Maybe some guy edited that out by mistake. Pretty sure they're still allowed to use the Golden Age logo.
They censored the logo throughout the entire video. They USED the logo they are censoring on an episode of RAW in 2010. Strange.

·
I am Jack's broken heart
7,445 Posts
They censored the logo throughout the entire video. They USED the logo they are censoring on an episode of RAW in 2010. Strange.
Yeah buddy. I edited my previous post. That's really weird.

Also, I should probably read/watch the entire sources before posting. Comes to bite me back in the ass afterwards like this :no:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Plotting time travel mission.
8,641 Posts
Well considering its just a Youtube video I wouldn't worry too much. If we see it on TV and new DVDs then something is up.

·
Premium Member
15,070 Posts
They censored all of their old footage after the lawsuit from the World Wildlife Fund.
But, on old footage, pre Attitude Era, they would never censor the logo, like on turnbuckles or banners.

If you watch a WWE match from 1992 on one of their recently released DVD's, you'll still see the old school logo.

Weird that they censored it though, as I've never seen them censor the pre Attitude Era logo.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
I don't know why they would censor it now since it's been, what 10 or 11 years since the lawsuit that made them change to WWE? Seems odd to Censor it now.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I too noticed that and thought it was rather strange. Think in the most recent "Are You Serious?" episode they censored out the old school logo. The scratch one has been censored since a little after the lawsuit. The lawsuit happened a decade ago really can't imagine the World Wildlife Fund suing the WWE a second time. But I guess anybody will sue for a little bit of a payday. Anybody know if this is just happening on their YouTube account or are they censoring it from their website and future DVDs too?

·
Registered
635 Posts
The logo blurring makes me furious to the point where I'm tempted to kill every panda on the planet. Seriously, I finally saw WM17 for the first time just the other week (so sue me, I didn't watch wrestling for 20 years) and I couldn't believe how crazy they went with the blurring. I don't know how anyone can ignore that long enough to enjoy the matches.

With all the technology we have today, there's got to be a way they can re-release those vids with the logos removed in such a way that it doesn't look like someone threw jello at my screen.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I too noticed that and thought it was rather strange. Think in the most recent "Are You Serious?" episode they censored out the old school logo. The scratch one has been censored since a little after the lawsuit. The lawsuit happened a decade ago really can't imagine the World Wildlife Fund suing the WWE a second time. But I guess anybody will sue for a little bit of a payday. Anybody know if this is just happening on their YouTube account or are they censoring it from their website and future DVDs too?
On the website, it seems that they are not censoring the Golden Age Logo, as shown here:
http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/10-major-monday-night-raw-milestones/page-1

But strangely, the New Generation Logo is replaced by the Scratch WWE Logo on some videos on the website, while newer videos on the site don't censor it.

It still leaves the question: Why are they censoring the logo on their Youtube videos? It doesn't make sense.

The logo blurring makes me furious to the point where I'm tempted to kill every panda on the planet. Seriously, I finally saw WM17 for the first time just the other week (so sue me, I didn't watch wrestling for 20 years) and I couldn't believe how crazy they went with the blurring. I don't know how anyone can ignore that long enough to enjoy the matches.

With all the technology we have today, there's got to be a way they can re-release those vids with the logos removed in such a way that it doesn't look like someone threw jello at my screen.
Agreed. The blurring is pretty annoying. They have improved their blurring technology, but it is still noticeable.Fuck the World Wildlife Fund (Who were actually called "The World Wildlife Fund of Nature" at the time any way). I guess they wanted WWE to censor the Attitude Era logo and refrences to "WWF" to try to make people think WWF means World Wildlife fund. No matter how much censoring they do, most people, when they hear WWF, will think of wrestling no matter what.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
They have to pay to use it.

The Old School Raw one was the same style and color scheme but the part on the right that makes an 'F' was cut out so it was just WW

·
Premium Member
15,070 Posts
Got this from wikipedia, so I don't know how true it is:

Following the case, the use of the "Attitude" logo became prohibited on all World Wrestling Federation properties. Additionally, past references to the WWF trademark and initials in 'specified circumstances' became censored.[35] Despite litigation, WWE is still permitted use of the original WWF logo, which was used from 1979 through 1994, as well as the "New WWF Generation" logo, which was used from 1994 through 1998. Furthermore, the company may still make use of the full "World Wrestling Federation" and "World Wrestling Federation Entertainment" names without consequence.

So, it says they are allowed to use the original WWF logo.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Got this from wikipedia, so I don't know how true it is:

Following the case, the use of the "Attitude" logo became prohibited on all World Wrestling Federation properties. Additionally, past references to the WWF trademark and initials in 'specified circumstances' became censored.[35] Despite litigation, WWE is still permitted use of the original WWF logo, which was used from 1979 through 1994, as well as the "New WWF Generation" logo, which was used from 1994 through 1998. Furthermore, the company may still make use of the full "World Wrestling Federation" and "World Wrestling Federation Entertainment" names without consequence.

So, it says they are allowed to use the original WWF logo.
I realize that it's Wikipedia and all, but didn't they first use the scratch logo in '97 not '98?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They have to pay to use it.

The Old School Raw one was the same style and color scheme but the part on the right that makes an 'F' was cut out so it was just WW
Actually that is not true. They used the full Logo. See here:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I get the rage as wrestling fans since the blurring really does prohibits a lot of our enjoyment of looking back at old matches, but the sentiment that people sue (specifically the World Wildlife Fund) just for money is stupid. The WWE had agreed to not use their initials overseas as long as it could keep their WWF initials. The World Wildlife agreed and there was an agreement made. The WWE kept growing more and more and went ahead and ignored their previous agreement of not using the WWF overseas and figured they could take care of the issue in court. Obviously, WIldlife had their contract breached and had no option but to sue. Unfortunately for the WWE, they lost because at the end of the day, they broke the agreement and WIldlife still has a big name globally. The WWE knew there was a risk and figured their attorneys were good enough to ignore the threats of WIldlife and went ahead and kept using their same initials. They could have been more proactive earlier in the stage and we wouldn't have this problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts