Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres been a few threads about people wondering whether WWE reads forums etc to get feedback/ideas for the product, which at first I was skeptical about, but I'm starting to change my tune.

A couple of points have been made lately by WWE superstars that lead me to believe they are taking attention of outsider comments. First off you had The Miz when he came to RAW, he started tearing Cena a new one, can't remember exactly what about though (I think it was the Miz/Cena, correct me if wrong), but the IWC went nuts.

Second, Cena made the comparison between himself and Darren Young, when no casual fan would have made the connection between the two, especially in a PG environment, kids that age wouldnt click.

Lastly, you have Christian calling ADR the Mexican JBL. It got mentioned here about an hour after he debuted, which isn't that hard to work out, but why make a reference to it? JBL hasn't been on tv for close to 18 months.

Not to mention the whole Daniel Bryan, Summerslam, Michael Cole Heel on NXT against 'internet and indy wrestlers'

Is WWE taking the piss out of the IWC

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I don't know. I don't suppose there's any way to really prove such a thing, although it's possible and probably sensible.

It sounds like it's not WWE but the more audience-aware superstars who are doing this.

·
Premium Member
10,510 Posts
Naw I think that all these things come from twitter. No doubt that WWE are reading forums/dirt sheets, but they have done for a long time and things have only began to change since WWE has started using twitter a lot.

I have seen people tweeting to John Cena about Darren Young so I can only imagine that the other things come from twitter as well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Oh bloody dear so WWE comes to this forum and sees what people like and want and introduce it Bahaha

·
Registered
934 Posts
the WWE obviously follows the internet fans, and it's become so much more apparent in their Summerslam surprise with Daniel Bryan

the internet makes up a large amount of their viewers, even though they might not be the majority, they still want to please as many people as possible

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh bloody dear so WWE comes to this forum and sees what people like and want and introduce it Bahaha
I didnt say this forum, im talking internet in general, as a way of getting feedback on THEIR product. Learn to read and interpret

·
Registered
113 Posts
Aside from the few thousand in the arena every night, the internet is the only way to gauge fan reaction. Especially these days when the ratings are pretty much the same week-in week-out. I'm not saying they care about what the forums say, and I very much doubt they take stuff like in the OP (like the JBL thing, it seems like a natural comparison) and use them, but they will almost certainly check reactions to angles.

I bet the tuesday morning after the Nexus destroyed Raw they were all over the boards seeing what people thought.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The internets such a big part of everyday life now itd be hard for them not to, theres such a huge community on these forums and other places theres no way they cant ever notice ti, maybe years ago, and just because the IWC is a "small factor" of the fans it doesnt mean they cant cater some jokes or lines to that faction, look at certain film/director trademarks or jokes that are made in other media knowing only a select few will understand

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I'm pretty certain that they pay attention to it. Do I think they go around wrestling forums looking for ideas? I very much doubt it but they now have their own forum, their own Twitter, their own Facebook etc. They'll hear a lot of stuff on there and you can tell that they know what people on the internet are talking about, just from the stuff they do.

The first time I really noticed it was that RAW with Jesse Ventura at the end of last year when they basically admitted that the main event was stale and that was a real turning point because ever since then, they're trying to push a lot of the younger guys and it is one of the reasons that I've really enjoyed the WWE product a lot this year, particularly RAW. Since then, we've had NXT which seems to be a show catered for internet fans and funny comments from wrestlers like HHH and CM Punk that only internet fans would really get.

Good Undertaker interview by the way, we are only just fans and should enjoy wrestling for what it is. I might complain that I'm not a fan of the writing of the shows at times, any fan of a TV show would but I try not to complain too much about pushes, winners and losers etc.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I'm sure we will eventually see somebody mocking Sheamus's song (lobster head, limes, etc.), calling Otunga Botchtunga and loling at Riley attacking Percy at NXT (well, the last one is obvious).

Cody's promo this week could have been written by any of us (Hardy haters), but I really feel they use some of the jokes we are using. And I can't remember who made a promo about a certain wresler looking like a Sesame Street character and a poster used it here just weeks before.

I just wanted HHH to cut a YOU'RE ALL GONNA GET THROWD OVAR TEH TOP ROPE promo (how long did that last?).

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
It's a FACT that they pay attention to the world of the internet. It's Bussines rule 101 to manage a company by doing thorough market research. Now remember the WWE is still a company so they have to use basic bussines principles. Now, I'm not saying that they spesifically read each thread cause that is highly unlikly but they do have to pay attention to the IWC, becuase while Vince admitted that he doesn't need to listen to internet smarks becuase they total a failry low percentage of actual viewers, he must at least have some people watching certain forums because the IWC is one area to thoroughly get to know your audience. Let's face it, do you think WWE.com has a "forums" column to only get traffic to their website? That is a reason yes BUT it is also most definitely used to watch the trends of us fans. Now we don't always get what we want if vince does not agree with certain aspects and views we have, but still even he knows that you have to make use of every opportunity to get to "know" the likes and dislikes of your market

·
Broadcast Journalist
280 Posts
Can't really say whether or not any of what I'm saying is valid but, surely WWE have people who are keeping an eye on the internet to SOME degree? I'm by no means stating that they're listening to what each and every one of us are jabbering on about or reading every single post made on forums such as this. However, WWE are too clever a company not to realise that a portion of their fans do speak about their business on the internet. The "IWC" doesn't make up the majority of the audience of course but it's still a part of it.

Another thing; I really hate being labelled as a loudmouth idiot just because I like talking/posting about professional wrestling online. Just because we like speaking about what's going on/guessing what's gonna happen etc doesn't mean we're all claiming to know what goes on behind the curtain and backstage. WWE justs strike me as being the sort of company who would keep a mindful eye on what folks are saying. It's a fantastic way to gauge a small portion of your fanbases opinion afterall.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
You'd be a bit silly to think that a large part of the wrestling World doesn't have some kind of eye on the internet boards. Let's face it, the internet wrestling community is just an extension of the dirtsheet World from the olden days - and no wrestler denies that every single one of them used to grab one of those as soon as it was in the dressing room.

Then you have guys like Matt Hardy who are never off the internet posting videos and blogs and tweeting. Are you telling me guys like that aren't on these boards having a look around at least? Of course they are. Hell, Tyler Black openly admitted to checking out message boards in the interview posted by Shirley Crabtree (I believe it was him who posted..).

So yeah, I totally believe that many of the guys do, whether it be creative or the wrestlers themselves - and yeah, I do think some of the referrences on air is a little dig to guys like us on the forums. HHH is another great example of this, always playing to us smarks with his wording and inside jokes.

·
Registered
559 Posts
it seems like every once in a while they'll throw a popular topic on the internet out in there show, like as of late katie vick has been talked about a little more throughout the iwc and whattaya know cm punk mentions it. i think its little things that tend to either long time fans or iwc just to show that there noticed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts