Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
#WWELogic
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen this posted yet

Author and Linda McMahon activist Irv Muchnick published today the death clause written in all WWE talent contracts:

"WRESTLER, on behalf of himself and his heirs, successors, assigns and personal representatives, hereby releases, waives and discharges PROMOTER from all liability to WRESTLER and covenants not to sue PROMOTER for any and all loss or damage on account of injury to any person or property or resulting in serious or permanent injury to WRESTLER or WRESTLER’s death, whether caused by the negligence of the PROMOTER, other wrestlers or otherwise."

source pwMaina.com

Wow and I thought a life insurance policy was f#@ked up when it came to things like this but damn. I can see protecting one's slef but man what a slap in the face to alot of families. The cost of buissness I'm afarid.

Stay Frosty

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,209 Posts
Well, if somebody's negligence harms a wrestler, they can still sue that person, right?

They just can't legally touch WWE.

·
Wrestling is better while drinking
1,898 Posts
My guess is that there is no way they can enforce that clause, even if it is in the contract. Most states have laws about what responsibilities can't be contractually waived and negligence is a major one.

·
Super Moderator
19,329 Posts
My guess is that there is no way they can enforce that clause, even if it is in the contract. Most states have laws about what responsibilities can't be contractually waived and negligence is a major one.
Bingo. The same thing holds true with pre-nups in marriage. They simply don't hold the water that most people think.

·
Registered
349 Posts
...I'm not sure what country you guys live in, but this looks like a fairly standard Waiver to me...

Hell, I've signed shit like this when I've rented a kayak.

·
Registered
970 Posts
...I'm not sure what country you guys live in, but this looks like a fairly standard Waiver to me...

Hell, I've signed shit like this when I've rented a kayak.
Exactly... people are having a go at the big bad corporation. The truth is that they're doing what anybody else would do. My only surprise is that they didn't already have this in place years ago.

...This wouldn't stop people from suing them should anything tragic happen again, but it would make any 'settlement' offered/agreed look more like the WWE was trying to help any bereaved rather than them trying to buy their way out of a court date

·
Registered
349 Posts
:lmao This can't be serious. So if a wrestler dies because of negligence on the WWE's side, nobody can sue them? I can't see this holding up in court.
Of course not. If someone really was intent on suing, and the circumstances warranted it, this contract clause could be waived by the courts. For someone like Owen Hart, the clause wouldn't do very much.

However, waivers and clauses like this exist because of the ridiculous litigations that take place in the US. When you can literally have hundreds of thousands of dollars wasted away defending against shit like stupid women who don't realize coffee is hot, it pays to be able to say to a court "this clause is in their contract, so please provide summary judgment so we don't have to spend years fighting over a sprained ankle".

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
They've always had a similar clause in the contracts of wrestlers. Martha Hart said in her book that when Owen died, she had to adhere to the rules of the contract and wasn't allowed to sue, but she used the basic argument of "well if I have to adhere to the contract, does that mean I have to wrestle all the times Owen was supposed to? No!"

It's disgusting that the WWE would put such a clause into their contracts and can only do more harm than good in my eyes (if true.)

·
Registered
813 Posts
I hate to break it to all of you that think it's not legit, but I'm a lawyer, and it's perfectly legal. However, there's no need to vilify the WWE here, since this type of clause is not out of the ordinary whatsoever. You'll find a clause like this in any commercial fisherman's contract. There are certainly ways around it, and really, in every instance, the WWE is most likely to simply offer the estate some sort of settlement, but this clause would hold up just fine in court.

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
Exactly... people are having a go at the big bad corporation. The truth is that they're doing what anybody else would do. My only surprise is that they didn't already have this in place years ago.

...This wouldn't stop people from suing them should anything tragic happen again, but it would make any 'settlement' offered/agreed look more like the WWE was trying to help any bereaved rather than them trying to buy their way out of a court date
Mate, anybody and everybody has every single right to have ago at Vince and his 'big bad corporation'

WWE and Vince are complete and utter ....s when it comes to caring about thier wrestlers and people who make them the money. That has been known for decades.

Vince is a prick, a rich prick, but still a prick.

Dont just blindly stick up for WWE, they dont deserve it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
It's actually common in a lot of places to have a claus like this. Yeah, it sucks but it is business.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts