Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Giving me flashback to when SARS hit all those years ago. Hopefully the Chinese government learnt their lesson and is not concealing the spread of the virus this time around. Seems like there is even a case in the US confirmed by the CDC.

Could get real ugly within the next few weeks if there are 'super spreaders' carrying the virus while visiting their families and friends during this Lunar New Year festive period.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
This is one of those "this'll probably amount to not much" stories that you check back on every day and it gets worse and worse...

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the one hand, the outcome from such outbreaks doesn't even touch the outcome from daily human conflicts. On the other hand, if one of these animal virus that mutated to infect us becomes even more contagious, we are fked. So really depends on one's perspective on stuff in the news.

·
Premium Member
16,602 Posts
I was following the impeachment trial and kept seeing this thinking it wasn't a big deal. Now I'm getting scared, even in rural America.

The WHO (not the band) met today and didn't said it's not a public health emergency yet. They're legitimate, right?

I've recently gotten over a cold, but now have a nasty cough back. I've been super tired, albeit not getting great sleep. Let the paranoia begin

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Last I checked about four people in my city (Tianjin) was confirmed with the virus. Atleast it's Chinese new year now so I can be inside all day for the rest of the next week. I've worn a mask... But from what I understand the cheap ones only help to not give to others rather than your self lol.

I think once I start work again I'm going to have to avoid public transport and start cycling to work atleast the temperatures seem to be warming up. So yay lol Honestly the Chinese government could probably do a lot more.... But if you know Chinese culture no one wants to rock the boat.

It's been fairly chill here considering most people are just trying to enjoy the new year with their families. Well with a couple of memes too lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First confirmed cases in Europe now from France. It honestly was a bad time for this outbreak to occur just before the largest human migration period of Lunar New Year period. This thing first made the news in mid December but only started being of serious concern a few weeks back once they realized how serious this could become.

China has lockdown cities suspected to be the most affected by it. Not sure that is a cause of concern or relief. Since they didn't care enough for weeks before to do anything so it could either mean things are seriously bad, or it could be a good sign that proper procedures to limit the spread of the virus are being carried out.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Thanks China! Maybe they should stop eating bats and live mice. Better yet they should also be more forthcoming with their information so other countries have the chance to prepare themselves.

I was following the impeachment trial and kept seeing this thinking it wasn't a big deal. Now I'm getting scared, even in rural America.

The WHO (not the band) met today and didn't said it's not a public health emergency yet. They're legitimate, right?

I've recently gotten over a cold, but now have a nasty cough back. I've been super tired, albeit not getting great sleep. Let the paranoia begin
Go see your doctor. No reason to take the chance that you might have it and could be spreading it to others.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol these are photoshopped. The ones I see are either to avoid close contact with sick/stray animals or washing hands when dealing with live animals.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Coronavirus: 100,000 may already be infected, experts warn

AI Predicts Coronavirus Could Infect 2.5 Billion And Kill 53 Million. Doctors Say That’s Not Credible, And Here’s Why

An AI-powered simulation run by a technology executive says that Coronavirus could infect as many as 2.5 billion people within 45 days and kill as many as 52.9 million of them. Fortunately, however, conditions of infection and detection are changing, which in turn changes incredibly important factors that the AI isn’t aware of.

And that probably means we’re safer than we think.

Probably being the operative word.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It won't spread as much as AI predictions since governments are taking even harsher preventive measures now. Compared to the flu pandemic in North America a decade ago where Mexico and USA did the bare minimum, this should be relatively more contained. That flu season killed so much more people with a much lower mortality rate because few took it seriously. I feel the panic is from the previous experience of the much deadlier SARS (almost 10% fatality rate) in the region and a fear of a repeat.

On the other hand, one thing making me fear the worse is some carrier of the coonavirus might not show symptoms of fever so the first line of defense in temperature taking might not be as effective this time around. That might be why a few countries are blanket banning visitors from China or placing returnees from China under quarantine no matter what.

The economic impact to the region is going to be huge though. Tourism is hit. Hospitality is hit. Restaurants are hit. Supply chains of most international manufacturers are hit. Even the movie industry is affected as nobody in China is going to the cinemas. :/

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
It won't spread as much as AI predictions since governments are taking even harsher preventive measures now. Compared to the flu pandemic in North America a decade ago where Mexico and USA did the bare minimum, this should be relatively more contained. That flu season killed so much more people with a much lower mortality rate because few took it seriously. I feel the panic is from the previous experience of the much deadlier SARS (almost 10% fatality rate) in the region and a fear of a repeat.

On the other hand, one thing making me fear the worse is some carrier of the coonavirus might not show symptoms of fever so the first line of defense in temperature taking might not be as effective this time around. That might be why a few countries are blanket banning visitors from China or placing returnees from China under quarantine no matter what.

The economic impact to the region is going to be huge though. Tourism is hit. Hospitality is hit. Restaurants are hit. Supply chains of most international manufacturers are hit. Even the movie industry is affected as nobody in China is going to the cinemas. :/
I can confirm that most cinemas are closed.... A lot of things are closed. My whole local mall was closed too, only things open were pharmacies, supermarkets, 711s and some fast-food places but people would only take out.

Update left China on Monday. Can't work as normal, but I could still do online work, so may we well go home. Plus I was in isolation for about 3 weeks so it was starting to get to me. So quarantining with family.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts