Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darren Young turning up, looking like he's going to be involved in the Nexus/Cena angle then never appearing again.

Swagger going from jobbing to Evan Bourne week after week, to winning MITB, to winning the WHC, to consistently jobbing out to the likes of Kofi time and time again.

Tyler Reks returning, squashing Kaval, getting on Team SD and giving a good account of himself... to returning to Superstars.

Shad Gaspard breaking away from JTG, winning a couple of squash matches... then nothing and gets released.

The whole thing with the NXT season 2 graduates attacking their pro's and the whole 'Genesis' promo.... they never followed it up and completely swept it under the rug.

Tarver from the Nexus looked like he was going to be pushed but then he's kicked out of the Nexus.

DiBiase was feuding with Orton @ Mania and since then he's been off/on pushed and recently jobbed out to Daniel Bryan like 3 times in a row (as well as Ziggler who was jobbed out 3 times to Bryan).

The Gatecrashers emerged, were awesome, then half of them got released after they were repeatedly jobbed out.

MVP's is more long-standing as they fucked him around for like 4 years

Point is WWE are completely eratic with their pushes at the moment. Maybe its because the guys I mentioned are above their new 5 ft 9 170 lbs quota? Theyre doing a good job with Miz but in a lot of cases they are pretty retarded.

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
You mean 2 years for MVP not 4 years, cause MVP had one of the best mid-card pushes in WWE history during 07-08.

But your thoughts are exactly like mine, there is just monkey's in the WWE creative team now that don't know what the hell they doing. They just pulling ideas out their asses and hope everyone go with the flow.

·
Banned
3,560 Posts
Sometimes they just do pushes to make people credible. Like MVP could win or lose any match and still remain credible to a degree. Basically he could be pushed anytime and it wouldn't need to be a huge push because he's already had that.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
The Genesis promo was swept under the rug because it sucked. If there were plans for an NXT 2 stable, they failed the audition. It was a disaster, one best kept off the main shows.

Darren Young is on Superstars sometimes. He's even gotten a haircut, which means he may be getting repackaged. Its better than him being sent down to FCW like other NXT guys.

Tyler Reks was filler. That's why he's gone back to Superstars. Which is better than only working dark matches like he used to. He's moved up in the world. Give it time and see where he goes from here.

Tarver got hurt. Plus, he's the wrong color. It's been pointed out before, that only the black guys in Nexus actually were kicked out of the group on TV. Whereas the white guys just disappeared.

MVP is an ex-con trying to break through the glass ceiling. If he had a clean past (or wasn't the wrong color), he probably would've gotten the mega push. Sucks, I know. I'm a big fan of his. But he was never getting a shot.

DiBiase was given a decent gimmick, props, and a hot piece of ass. He still failed to get over, or to even be remotely entertaining despite many backstage segments and promos, hence the weird booking. None of it fit him, and they didn't know what to do to fix it. But now they seem to have found something a little better for him, and are letting him show off his ring skills even in losses. Lets see what DiBiase looks like in the coming months.

Cryme Time was broken up because they're killing the tag division. Shad was okay, but nothing special. I would've kept him over Tyler Reks, personally, but nobody really misses him. Plus, don't forget, he's the wrong skin color for WWE -- with a thug gimmick, no less. He was doomed from the word go. JTG had better come up with a new gimmick or he's screwed too.

The Gatecrashers were split up because, again, WWE is killing the tag division. And because Vance Archer is 33 and didn't bring anything special to the table, or didn't bring enough to warrant giving him any kind of push. He was even more expendable than Shad was. He's even unnecessary as a jobber. Especially when you have guys like Reks, Masters, Kaval, and Chavo for that.

Swagger...hell, I don't know. I won't defend that.

All and all, I have no problem with most of what you listed.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Darren Young turning up, looking like he's going to be involved in the Nexus/Cena angle then never appearing again.

Swagger going from jobbing to Evan Bourne week after week, to winning MITB, to winning the WHC, to consistently jobbing out to the likes of Kofi time and time again.

Tyler Reks returning, squashing Kaval, getting on Team SD and giving a good account of himself... to returning to Superstars.

Shad Gaspard breaking away from JTG, winning a couple of squash matches... then nothing and gets released.

The whole thing with the NXT season 2 graduates attacking their pro's and the whole 'Genesis' promo.... they never followed it up and completely swept it under the rug.

Tarver from the Nexus looked like he was going to be pushed but then he's kicked out of the Nexus.

DiBiase was feuding with Orton @ Mania and since then he's been off/on pushed and recently jobbed out to Daniel Bryan like 3 times in a row (as well as Ziggler who was jobbed out 3 times to Bryan).

The Gatecrashers emerged, were awesome, then half of them got released after they were repeatedly jobbed out.

MVP's is more long-standing as they fucked him around for like 4 years

Point is WWE are completely eratic with their pushes at the moment. Maybe its because the guys I mentioned are above their new 5 ft 9 170 lbs quota? Theyre doing a good job with Miz but in a lot of cases they are pretty retarded.
Your vanilla midget agenda doesn't really work when the top heels on the flagship show are relative newcomes Wade Barrett and Sheamus.

I agree, in certain cases, that pushes have been executed poorly. Jack Swagger for example seems to have been utilised very poorly. His push was seemingly a way to put over the MITB more than putting over him, although it did make him a much more credible wrestler. The NXT2 finale was dropped like a stone as you said, but frankly it came across as complete bush league, and it's not the first time an angle's been aborted.

With Shad, it's fair to say at no point was he getting a real push as a singles wrestler. A few jobber squashes, sure, but then he had to go back to developmental to try and make him a viable singles talent. Obviously they felt it didn't work. Darren Young get a momentary revenge on Nexus before getting Orton'd. I wouldn't exactly have called that segment a big push myself.

Michael Tarver's injured, so that's not the WWE's fault. MVP was seemingly in the middle of a new push, going off the increased screen time, new music, etc. Maybe it wouldn't have been to the main event level, but he certainly wasn't just treading water when he requested the release.

Ted DiBiase is an interesting one. Since the crowd decided Orton was the one they wanted to get behind, he's almost entirely lost the crowd interest. They've kept him on Raw nearly every week since, giving him new music, his father's gimmick, a valet, the Million Dollar Belt, and now the angle with Maryse belittling him. There is nothing stop/start about his push- the crowd just aren't buying it right now.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
DiBiase & Reks are bad in every way imaginable, also :lmao @ anyone who thought The Gatecrashers would last in the WWE.

14,478 Posts
Tarver is injured.

Apart from MVP, the guys you mentioned were not popular at the time of their pushes. So perhaps Vince thought that they weren't working, and so he stopped their pushes. Kofi Kingston is probably the best example of a start/stop push. But i'd put that down to politics.

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah I wasn't aware that Tarver was injured, I thought it was just Skip that was.

Your vanilla midget agenda doesn't really work when the top heels on the flagship show are relative newcomes Wade Barrett and Sheamus.
Sheamus and Barrett aren't midgets...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts