Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Suzuki-gun
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
World Cup has come and gone. New qualifying format for tournaments (I think?). Time for a fresh start

The UEFA Nations League is a biennial international association football competition contested by the senior men's national teams of the member associations of UEFA, the sport's European governing body.
Ok, pretty clear so far :hmm: Biennial means every other year :quite

The first tournament began in September 2018, following the 2018 FIFA World Cup. The four group winners from League A will qualify for the finals, to be played at a yet to be decided European city in June 2019. Four nations, one from each League, will also qualify for the UEFA Euro 2020 finals.

The competition will largely replace international friendly matches currently played on the FIFA International Match Calendar.
Right..... :rockwut

According to the approved format (prior to Kosovo becoming UEFA member), the now 55 UEFA national teams (including Kosovo) will be divided into four divisions (called "Leagues"): 12 teams in League A, 12 teams in League B, 15 teams in League C, and 16 teams in League D. In each league, four groups are formed (three or four teams in each group) and play each other both home and away.

In the top league, League A, the winners of the four groups go on to play in the Nations League Finals, with two semi-finals and one final to decide which team becomes the UEFA Nations League champion.

Teams can also be promoted and relegated to a higher or lower league. Each group winner (there are four groups in each league) is automatically promoted to the next higher league for the next tournament. Each team placing last in its group is automatically relegated to the next lower league

Like my post if you don't like change :agree:

Oh and I'm pretty sure my country wouldn't even beat San Marino right now

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
5,455 Posts
I like the idea of something freash as international friendlies were a bore. I think it would have been better to have 3 groups in each league but with 4 teams in each group as I'm unsure if promotion/relegation is such a good idea in small groups. 4 teams in a group also means all teams get 2 matches per break and it will smooth out the teething process of promotion/relegation as whoever gets relegated from groups 1 & 4 this year will smash the B league teams.

·
The Dream
4,702 Posts
From what I understood a team can win the Nations League and not even make it to the Euro/World Cup, because apparently that's not the criteria. That was enough for me not to bother understanding the rest of it.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,373 Posts
It allows less good teams to make the euros. And no not Ireland or Wales but more Georgia Scotland etc. The way they work out the play offs spots is so weird though.

From what I understood a team can win the Nations League and not even make it to the Euro/World Cup, because apparently that's not the criteria. That was enough for me not to bother understanding the rest of it.
From what I understood from the FM save I did. The normal qualifying happens and then they make the play off based on the finishing places in the euro nations thing. So if you finish top 2 in your qualifying group you don't have to worry

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
I just assumed they were glorified friendlies & it was a weird way to get "competitive" matches rather than England vs Estonia :draper2

Either way I don't care, internationals suck

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
And England finally beats us, we played horribly today

·
That's the way it has to be
1,124 Posts
Euro 2020 qualifying draw was yesterday.

Group A: England, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Kosovo

Group C: Netherlands, Germany, Northern Ireland, Estonia, Belarus

Group D: Switzerland, Denmark, Rep of Ireland, Georgia, Gibraltar

Group E: Croatia, Wales, Slovakia, Hungary, Azerbaijan

Group I: Belgium, Russia, Scotland, Cyprus, Kazakhstan, San Marino

·
Registered
878 Posts
Why the fuck are they groups with the teams in the Final 4, yet the Final 4 happens after the beginning of the Euro 2020 qualifiers ?

Can someone explain it to me ?

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,373 Posts
Why the fuck are they groups with the teams in the Final 4, yet the Final 4 happens after the beginning of the Euro 2020 qualifiers ?

Can someone explain it to me ?
Not sure. I know the reason there was a separate pot for us was so we could have time off to play the final whilst other qualifiers are on going.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts