Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Likes wrestling....
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
More than a decade before Miss Elizabeth joined Macho Man, a decade before Sunshine, Precious, Luna, etc...

There was Maw Bass in 1972-1973

Complete with loaded purse Maw Bass led her charges, Ron and Don in southern territories.

She was actually former female pro wrestler, Mae Weston. Weston got several women's title matches and was considered one of the better workers of her era. The champion of the era Mildred Burke loved her so much the two became great friends and opened a restaurant with Weston.

Ron Bass would of course go on to have an excellent career during the territory era, and eventually get a mid card spot in the WWF. Don would be a career southern territory worker who would put on mask after mask changing gimmicks almost yearly for Jarrett.

The Bass Brothers, were very over mainly for the Continental Territory. Actually she was so over as a heel, Fabulous Moolah was brought in to work as a face against her and her boys.

Mae Weston passed away in 1999 at the age of 76.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Great stuff GL.

I find fairly difficult to find pre late 70's indepth info like this. Whether that's because TV was too localized and thus wiped/faded or simply because too many players aren't with us anymore to tell the stories. Not sure.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Excellent post, GL. Keep old school alive.
Would you count Princess Fatima, aka Joyce Farhat, who accompanied her husband the Sheik to the ring?

View attachment 94149
I would not, there are dozens of valets pre 1971.

I have seen no evidence of a heelish manager.

A manager in my mind does mic work, interferes in matches, progresses storylines.

Maw Bass did all of that.

Would love to find someone who predates Maw Bass.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,486 Posts
Another great post. Gorgeous George had his wife Betty work as his valet in the 40s, and they got the idea from Lord Patrick Lansdowne who did the same thing in the 30s but I believe both cases were strictly for ring accompaniment.
Nature Boy Buddy Rogers also had Slave Girl Moolah(Fabulous Moolah) for a short time but I wouldn't classify her as a manager.
I think it was Jim Ross who credited Maw Bass as the first female manager on the old Legends of Wrestling roundtables that are now available on the Network.

Reactions: GL and jpickens

·
Likes wrestling....
8,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting Killer, had no idea Jim Ross agreed with me......lol. I feel vindicated.

I was turned on to Maw Bass years ago when looking up the history of Don and Ron.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts