Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished watching this last night surprisingly for the first time. I know its old but I recently stumbled upon it. I'm a huge Bret Hart fan, I know he doesn't get a lot of love on this forum which kind of makes me mad because he has entertained many fans worldwide but anyway thats not why I made this post. I want to discuss the content and also ask a few questions that hopefully some of you could answer.

I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish, the behind the scenes stuff with Bret's wife and kids communicating with the other wrestlers was kinda cool, it basically shows you the life of a wrestler off screen. I thought it was educational in a way. The whole Hart family were interesting as they were all intertwined with the wrestling business. All in all It was very interesting to watch so if you have not seen it I strongly recommend it.

Right, onto the actual incident, I have read rumours that DX were on the act but if you look at Shawn after the bell rang he was as surprised as Bret was. Whether he was acting I don't know. Bret also asked him in the locker room and he swore he had nothing to do with it. Triple H on the other hand seemed suspicious when Bret's wife confronted him. So do you think DX were on the act aswell or was it purely a Vince decision?

Another thing I found strange was Earl Hebner insuring Bret that the match won't have a funny ending which is kind of ironic because Bret had a gut feeling something was up. As soon as Shawn put the sharpshooter, Earl signalled for the bell. Was he involved aswell?

I also found it a bit strange that they were coming up with the match finish just 2 hours before the event. Do they really do this even now? If so then I guess I understand where crapy endings are coming from. Poor planning.

Now put yourself into Bret's shoes and after 15 years of hard work, dedication and loyalty to the wwf. Are you going to tell me you would of acted in a different or more civil way to Bret after that match? I don't believe you.

I kind of went no holds barred with this post and listed everything from the top of my head rather than in order so I feel like Im missing something but if I remember anything I will add it so I'll end it here.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
I still think it COULD be the greatest work in the history of the business. A lot of guys in shoots have said they believe it to be and it probably was the best way for Bret to leave.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bret tapping out to his own finishing hold in his home country.:no:

Only thing more embarrassing than that is Michaels being such a complete newb and failing to apply the hold properly on first attempt. Showstopper my arse.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't think it was a work, in the atmosphere of 1997 Vince couldn't afford the risk of Bret taking the belt to WCW, not that he would of but it shows Vince's paranoia.

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
I find it bizarre that people actually throw it out there as being a work, it's a crazy statement.

Reactions: Barry_O

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Not sure what Vince was worried about. No risk of Bret showing up on WCW tv with the belt because WWF already had WCW by the balls over the Alundra Blayze incident.

Easier saying it now in hindsight

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I'm a huge fan of documentaries. Love Bret (obviously....see sig) as well so I like this a lot. It's done really well. I've shown it to non wrestling fans who love it. To me that is the sign of a good documentary. Show it to someone who has no opinion about the subject and doesn't follow the topic and if they are entertained.....job well done.

·
Registered
844 Posts
This documentary is good. HBK was a good actor because he clearly knew what was up. He's admitted to as much later on in interviews. Hebner obviously knew since he called for the bell. I have to assume HHH knew if HBK did because of how close they were. Pretty sure they had HHH come out there to get HBK right after the match to help protect HBK in case Bret tried to really kick HBK's ass over this.

I've heard the rumors it was a work. I could see that but it's still hard to believe because I'm not sure it was ideal for Bret to leave in a way that really helped his popularity and consequently may have helped the rival brand (WCW). Not to mention the situation that happened made him look like the real WWF champ since everybody knew he really got screwed out of the title.

Bret air drawing the letters WCW at the end of Survivor Series is another thing that you could interpret a number of ways. Either WWF was trying to show him throwing the big fit that he threw and hoping he'd come off like a baby or maybe it was just a work and the WWF just wanted all the controversy and publicity from the incident.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Great doco, great insight into the life of a wrestler and great insights into how he felt about his father and mother. Easily the best wrestling doco out there.

All the info anyone needs about the screwjob is on the Bret v Shawn Rivalries DVD. Get the info straight from the horses mouths.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Just finished watching this last night surprisingly for the first time. I know its old but I recently stumbled upon it. I'm a huge Bret Hart fan, I know he doesn't get a lot of love on this forum which kind of makes me mad because he has entertained many fans worldwide but anyway thats not why I made this post. I want to discuss the content and also ask a few questions that hopefully some of you could answer.

I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish, the behind the scenes stuff with Bret's wife and kids communicating with the other wrestlers was kinda cool, it basically shows you the life of a wrestler off screen. I thought it was educational in a way. The whole Hart family were interesting as they were all intertwined with the wrestling business. All in all It was very interesting to watch so if you have not seen it I strongly recommend it.

Right, onto the actual incident, I have read rumours that DX were on the act but if you look at Shawn after the bell rang he was as surprised as Bret was. Whether he was acting I don't know. Bret also asked him in the locker room and he swore he had nothing to do with it. Triple H on the other hand seemed suspicious when Bret's wife confronted him. So do you think DX were on the act aswell or was it purely a Vince decision?

Another thing I found strange was Earl Hebner insuring Bret that the match won't have a funny ending which is kind of ironic because Bret had a gut feeling something was up. As soon as Shawn put the sharpshooter, Earl signalled for the bell. Was he involved aswell?

I also found it a bit strange that they were coming up with the match finish just 2 hours before the event. Do they really do this even now? If so then I guess I understand where crapy endings are coming from. Poor planning.

Now put yourself into Bret's shoes and after 15 years of hard work, dedication and loyalty to the wwf. Are you going to tell me you would of acted in a different or more civil way to Bret after that match? I don't believe you.

I kind of went no holds barred with this post and listed everything from the top of my head rather than in order so I feel like Im missing something but if I remember anything I will add it so I'll end it here.
I'd suggest you go and watch the Bret v Shawn dvd where they sit down and walk through their entire WWE's careers, including the screwjob at length.

To answer some of your questions:

DX were in on it, Hunter was the one said ''fuck it, if he doesn't want to do business we do it for him''. It wasn't something that they wanted to do, but Bret wouldn't budge in dropping the belt to Shawn cos earlier that summer Shawn had tol Bret to his face that he wouldn't put Bret over. Thats what the whole screwjob boiled down to at the end of the day. It was the root of the entire incident.

Earl had promised Bret he wouldn't screw him, but as he was walking to the ring that night, Vince pulled him aside and Earl understandably shit his pants.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
but if you look at Shawn after the bell rang he was as surprised as Bret was. Whether he was acting I don't know.

As soon as Shawn put the sharpshooter, Earl signalled for the bell. Was he involved aswell?
Shawn was behind it. He also cried in the corner of the locker room while Vince and Bret went at it. And Hebner swore up and down that he wouldn't screw Bret, yet did. Fuck him too.

·
Registered
14,593 Posts
Such a good documentary, gave you a great insight to what was happening in the WWE at that time.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Only thing more embarrassing than that is Michaels being such a complete newb and failing to apply the hold properly on first attempt. Showstopper my arse.
I never knew that until I saw this documentary

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd suggest you go and watch the Bret v Shawn dvd where they sit down and walk through their entire WWE's careers, including the screwjob at length.

To answer some of your questions:

DX were in on it, Hunter was the one said ''fuck it, if he doesn't want to do business we do it for him''. It wasn't something that they wanted to do, but Bret wouldn't budge in dropping the belt to Shawn cos earlier that summer Shawn had tol Bret to his face that he wouldn't put Bret over. Thats what the whole screwjob boiled down to at the end of the day. It was the root of the entire incident.

Earl had promised Bret he wouldn't screw him, but as he was walking to the ring that night, Vince pulled him aside and Earl understandably shit his pants.
Thanks for those answers. I'm definitely off to go see that one now so thanks for the recommendation.

@longballplease.. go see it now you won't regret it. As many have said its a great insight on a wrestlers life on and off screen.

There is no way that I would believe its a work, It looks so real on many levels, the emotion, the backlash to it with Bret being away for over a decade from wwf. It just doesn't add up for me being a work.

·
18,013 Posts
I think Beyond The Mat is one of the best wrestling documentary's also, another one that none wrestling fans really seem to enjoy.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
I think Beyond The Mat is one of the best wrestling documentary's also, another one that none wrestling fans really seem to enjoy.
Have you seen any of the Jake Robert's interviews where he says that he had no idea he was going to be portrayed so badly and felt betrayed by Funk?

·
18,013 Posts
Have you seen any of the Jake Robert's interviews where he says that he had no idea he was going to be portrayed so badly and felt betrayed by Funk?
No, I haven't seen anything in regards to that?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts