Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WWE today is obviously a completely diff company on and off screen compared to 10+ years ago.

While many guys like Rock,Austin,HHH ect all are fine, there are so many superstars who were main people in the 90s who's lives are out of control. Look at people like Chyna,X-Pac,Hogan,Hardys and so many other people who competed in the 90s.

A big part of stuff we see on screen on TV can often reflect a person in real life. How much do you think the wrestling lifestyle has changed in the past 10-20 years and do you think that their lifestyles have any affect on the actual product going on right now?

·
sXe_extremist is a gimp
509 Posts
I think maybe some people cant take the pressure or cant take being out of the spotlight, maybe for some being in front of that camera was like a high and then leaving it, they need a new high. The three people you mentioned (Rock,Austin,HHH) HHH is still with WWE and still huge, Austin and Rock are very public figures and in hollywood so they have that spotlight. Chyna and Xpac, what did they do after WWE? Not a whole lot. The Hardys, maybe just cos they take a lot of bumps they get addicted to small stuff like painkillers and then they stop taking the pain away and so they move on to harder drugs/alochol, just my opinion tho..

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
The lifestyle seemed a lot tougher back then. There were significantly fewer restrictions in the ring so they had loads of harsh bumps, and without the use of things like the internet, they had nothing else to do but take drugs (prescription or recreational) and party. Bret Hart's book has a good insight into that lifestyle, so I'd recommend checking that out for a bit of an idea. I know he personally admitted to cheating on his wife a load of times on the road pretty much because for most of the roster they had the choice between drunks and hard drugs, or women. And when the lesser evil is cheating on your wife, things are pretty bad.

So yeah, not that it's easy now, but things are much more under control now, even though the working hours are still insane

·
Dr. Mantis Toboggan
1,127 Posts
Great thread, OP. I personally think that it's much better to be a WWE Superstar now than 10-20 years ago. As much as it's less entertaining for the fans, there are much less insane bumps, many dangerous moves have been outlawed, and I imagine that the talent of today makes more money to support themselves and their families. I would much rather be a WWE Superstar today than 10-20 years ago.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
JBL has compared Wrestler's lifestyles now to what it was back in the 90's and it's a much brighter light than what it used to be. In the 90's it was pretty common for a Wrestler to party all night and day and basically live there lifes through drugs and woman. Now there is a much more balanced lifestyle and the young Wrestlers are much more strict on there bodies and try to stay in top condition. Most Wrestlers have a curfew and manage there lifes much cleaner than how it used to be. WWE still has a very tough schedule that involves being on the road and working an excessive amount of dates but at the same time you are not going to hear as much crazy road stories as there used to be as it seems WWE is trying to crack down and at least be strict on there drug policy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts