Wrestling Forum banner

Wrestling fans prefer talking over wrestling

847 Views 11 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Burkarl
Think about this, MOST (there are a few exceptions) stars in the business have succeed not on their wrestling skills but their Mic work. Such as The Rock, Austin, Hogan (the three biggest names I think WWE has to offer. The Miz is champion, not Morrison. Michael Cole draws more heat talking than a heel does by cheating in the ring.

I mean the attitude era wasn't defined by great wrestling ability, it was pretty much all promo and mic work. The John Morrisons and the Shelton Benjamins will never beat stars like The Miz and The Rock in drawing power. In ring abilities don't draw nearly as much as promo work. Evan Bourne is probably better in ring than Rey Mysterio but Mysterio has a more mysterious personality and hence he wins.

I mean promo time is wayyyy longer than match time on raw nowadays. It's cause promos rule, and the match is just a afterthought.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Masonic!
1,577 Posts
I agree, Mic work is VERY important in the WWE, for good reason. You need to be able to tell your story.

It takes a special kind to be like Benoit.

· Banned
4,476 Posts
I agree, Mic work is VERY important in the WWE, for good reason. You need to be able to tell your story.

It takes a special kind to be like Benoit.
I can't tell what you're referring to there. :p

Obviously, mic work is important in the WWE. It always has been. It's not wrestling, it's "sports entertainment".

· Registered
7,009 Posts
Benoit, like Mystero had a cool personality where casual fans pretended that he was Wolverine (i didn't say it D: ), cause of his "rabid woverine" gimmick.

However, in 99% of cases mic skills>ring skills.

BUT you still need to be at least average in the ring, or those mic skills you used to hype the match will be for naught.

· Lucy Snorebush
2,155 Posts
I prefer mic skills over ring skills, but you've got to be able to atleast put on a semi decent match. Mic skills, atleast in WWE are one million percent more important than being say a great technical wrestler. It's up to the promos and stand-offs that extend a feud and get you emotionally involved, if there was no mic-work then it would just be 2 guys randomly fighting.

I've said this time and time again, WWE is a soap opera, a story is developed through interaction, promotion and arguments, then culminates in a "fight" in the ring.

· Registered
2,742 Posts
Even when I watched wrestling as a kid, I always preferred backstage segments and in-ring promos to the actual matches. Call me girly, but I just loved the whole soap opera side to it all. It's entertainment afterall. Mic talent is very important.

In saying that, it's still a shame that some guys with the great wrestling ability and talent are being shafted for guys who know how to pick up a mic and talk about themselves for hours on end. But well, that's just the way it is. -shrug-

I think if anyone is training to become a wrestler and eventually wants to be hired by the WWE, they should also take acting classes and such on the side.

· Banned
18,124 Posts
That's why they have PPVs for blow-offs.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
I am one of the very few who dont give a crap about promos. I enjoy a good promo, but i would much rather watch wrestling than a guy talking on the mic. That said Mic-skills give you more in WWE than in-ring ability does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.