Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes it is just one short of" wrestling is dying".but look at the facts
1 The cm punk angle till SS had everything you could have asked for(you cannot deny it) but even then Raw was getting around 3.00 rating
2 the money in bank PPV just had 186,000 buys (out of 276,000 the rest was the unexpected wrestlemania buys)even after all Media attention it was given
3 The SS buys were just around 300,000 even when it had the biggest match that the WWE could offer.Even last year's buys were lesser than 2009 even when it had all the Main event talent and a legend battling one of the most hot stables in past few years.
4 John cena is being booed heavily. well those boos are music to my ears but with punk being not a proven draw and randy engaged in saving SD!The top face not getting good reaction is not great.
5 Last but not the least The rock who is going to have the rating sky rocketing this Fall will not stay forever.hhh is a 40+ guy and it's time that he takes the command of company backstage not onstage.Cena is the sole man and he is hated by half of the majority.
If wrestling is not dying right now it has certainly taken the path.

·
Registered
829 Posts
WWE are insulting our intelligence by catering to kids, even though the show still attracts the 18-35 demographic. There's less than 40% of the audience is kids and women.

They choose to keep those little jimmies happy for some extra cash. :gun:
The PG rating isn't helping.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Some of your points aren't facts, but I'll roll with you...

10 years ago, ratings may have been a fantastic indicator of how well a product is doing. Now, that being said, the ratings were an indicator because there were two competing products. Not to mention, the internet was nowhere near as socially sophisticated as it is today. Another point that WWE mentions on their documentary about the Monday Night Wars is that it took them a full year for the ratings to reflect their improved product.

So Summerslam, MITB were only a few months ago. And if ratings still follow similar patterns, then it's going to be 2012 when they begin to reflect this improved quality of the product.

But one second, we've only glossed over one crucial factor in this equation. THE INTERNET.

I can only speak for myself when I say that I watch WWE Raw on Youtube. I download PPV's too.

But it is a fact that, socially and functionally, the internet is far, far, FAR ahead of what it was 10 years ago during the Monday Night Wars. The ratings were such a fantastic indicator of who is watching what wrestling show because you had to watch wrestling on TV. Nowadays, you don't need a TV in your home to get Tv entertainment.

I'm just guessing but thousands upon thousands of people use the internet rather than their TV to watch programmes. And also, in Britain, we have Sky+ which enables you to simply record shows off TV onto a hard disk and watch them when you want.

So until ratings start to include Youtube, Dailymotion, Justin TV live streams, and Sky+ recorded programming... the ratings are never going to reflect how many fans are backing the current WWE product. They won't reflect that because ratings are key indicators for ADVERTISING REVENUE. How many people have their Tv's on that channel so they can throw an advertisement in their face.

And even if ratings did change to include the internet, live streams, Sky+ recordings etc... it will still take nearly a year for ratings to reflect the product so your jumping the gun here.

I hate to sound like a broken record but sheesh...

Wrestling, like everything in life, has CYCLES. Cycles of popularity included. The actual industry must be, I don't know, 100 years old? Maybe more. It's not going to die because the product has been sub-par for a decade or whatever.

As another new member proposed a few days ago: John Cena, as unpopular as he is with us 'grown-ass men,' could well be responsible for introducing an entire generation of new kids to Pro Wrestling! That's kids who potentially will still be fans when we're all going old and grey. So yeah, I wouldn't exactly say that Pro Wrestling is heading toward the clearing at the end of the path (dying.)

The Rock has a magical quality in terms of affecting ratings. I believe this is because he transcends the wrestling business. He has a connection with non-wrestling fans because of his celebrity status. Arguably, Hugh Jackman did a similar effect when he was guest host.

Conclusion: I know you didn't go as far as to say Wrestling is dying. That would be retarded. But I still disagree with your argument, your reasons backing it, and your focus on these misleading TV ratings.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
People seem to forget that folks like Buddy Rogers,Georgous George,Verne G,Dusty Rhodes
Dick the bruiser,Andre the Giant,and so so many others did this buisness of wrestling way before
Hulk Hogan,The Rock,Austin,Cena,and Punk and sold out areana's and made folks wanna get
into this buisness of what we call wrestling today like said before wrestling will never die bro.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
People seem to forget that folks like Buddy Rogers,Georgous George,Verne G,Dusty Rhodes
Dick the bruiser,Andre the Giant,and so so many others did this buisness of wrestling way before
Hulk Hogan,The Rock,Austin,Cena,and Punk and sold out areana's and made folks wanna get
into this buisness of what we call wrestling today like said before wrestling will never die bro.
It feels horrific to even think about that type of day but somehow WWE which is biggest company right now is losing fan my whole point was WWE is losing fans of course we will never leave it but the casuals are going away the kids will not always remain kids they will grow up and they too will start hating cena or just walk away from the whole product

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
true, teenagers now a days: you watch wrestling, OMG you have no life!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
They'll repackage everthing when the kids grow up
like the rocks fans or Cena's,the kids watching will
find their Hero wether we like'em or not.look at all the
AE vs PG era's,or yesterdays kids vs Todays...lol good thread.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
you idiot did you forget about tna they are succesful
WWE thinks the kids will order every PPVs?

I respect Vince as a business genius but I just don't understand his decision to changed the viewer target to those little jimmys
WWE are insulting our intelligence by catering to kids, even though the show still attracts the 18-35 demographic. There's less than 40% of the audience is kids and women.

They choose to keep those little jimmies happy for some extra cash. :gun:
The PG rating isn't helping.
Some of these posts are insulting to intelligence.

And yes, wrestling hasnt been as popular as it was in 2001. Shocking. I know

The logical answer is to bring back the attitude era

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Some of you are overreacting, it's true that wrestling isn't as popular as it was in the late 80s and the late 90s, but it's in better shape than it was in the few years before the Monday Night Wars.

·
Banned
609 Posts
One of the reasons is obviously the internet. Fans watching raw or smackdown via youtube ect. PVP's being downloaded.
However, i always had this resentment against the WWE for turning it PG and i think its one of the reasons.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts