Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you prefer? One answer, saying a combination of everything is too easy. For me it's in ring skills all the way. Everything else, while very important as well, is secondary to me behind the actual quality of the match. It seems like some of you are only concerned about mic skills and whether the angle is good or not.

Edit: Can a mod please move this to the General Wrestling section? Accidently posted on wrong board.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Storylines and mic skills are completely different.

1. Wrestling ability
2. storylines
3. mic skills
This.

Notice how over John Morrison is getting based on a huge helping of 1, with a distinct lack of 2 and a deficiency of 3 (at least in todays scripted promo era...he had some gems in ECW and in the dirt sheet, which leads me to believe he's just given garbage to work with.)

A lot of people overrate mic skills. It's nice, but it's icing on the cake IMO. Great wrestlers can communucate things without monologues, and not many wrestlers can give good extended promos (though when they can it is great).

·
Banned
402 Posts
Depends.

I mean if you wanna see just wrestling skills, you would have to watch some technical masters or a lot of spotfest guys.

You can't watch a 20 minute match between Batista and Khali without having some sort of storyline or angle to drive behind it.

Mic skills would help push the driven storyline.

IMO

1. Storyline
2. Mic Skills
3. Wrestling Ability

If you don't have 1 or 2 then you sure as hell better have 3 otherwise someone is gonna get released.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Storylines and mic skills are completely different.

1. Wrestling ability
2. storylines
3. mic skills
No kidding homie, I've probably watched much longer than you have. What I'm obviously asking is, would you rather have great quality matches and average mic skills and average storylines, or vice versa.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
1. Storylines
2. Mic skills
3. Wrestling

I'd rather see great storylines featuring wrestlers with great mic skills and average quality matches.
Why should i care about two wrestlers who've never crossed paths and have no history wrestling each other ?

I watch for storylines like Cena/Batista, Orton/HHH, Hardy/Punk, & Cena/Nexus.

·
Banned
402 Posts
I can't watch a match between Batista and Khali full stop.
What about one with a year long storyline?
Driven on pure emotion and deep promos with...

...wait... Khali & Batista...

Never Mind.

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
1. Storyline
2. Mic Skills
3. Wrestling Ability

They are all important but without a storyline there is no real need for any feuds whatsoever, so that kind of makes the wheel turn.

·
Banned
402 Posts
1. Storylines
2. Mic skills
3. Wrestling

I'd rather see great storylines featuring wrestlers with great mic skills and average quality matches.
Why should i care about two wrestlers who've never crossed paths and have no history wrestling each other ?
That is basicaly the Smackdown & Raw between PPVs.
So I agree.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
To be fair for most of time in WWE, the wrestlers look has been more important than wrestling ability, mic skills and storyline. Great Khali is the perfect example.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Hard one. I dont think any are more important people just like different people for different things

My fave wrestlers ever

Bret Hart - Awesome in ring, mediocre on mic. Semi interesting storylines.
Roddy Piper - Basic in ring, Best ever on mic, usually in a crap story. (bad news brown, million dollar man/virgil,)
Jericho - Awesome in ring, awesome on mic, gets some good storys (HBK)

compared to Hornswoggle - no wrestling ability, no mic skills, silly storylines

·
Banned
4,731 Posts
This thread doesn't make sense. Having one or the other isn't enough. Saying that, I prefer mic skills and storylines. It is sports ENTERTAINMENT and I'm sorry, just wrestling can get a bit boring. Take a look at ROH.

·
Registered
321 Posts
i dont know if the majority of casual fans even care about wrestling ability or even realize what good wrestling is, so the other 2 options i think are better for business. Wrestling fans will place more emphasis on wrestling ability to judge a superstar than casual fans. For me personally i am entertained by mic skills and storyline and innovative high flying wrestling. However i respect technical wrestlers the most.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I prefer wrestling but wrestling without a good storyline and some decent micskills is kinda boring. Yeah this is the most easy awnser, but it is what it is.

·
Legend
1,715 Posts
1.Storylines
2.Mic skills
3.Wrestling ability

Even though I like the wrestling aspect of WRESTLING, you need mic skills to succeed in the business nowadays. Storylines now are a must have. If there crap, then your ratings might take a hit and drop substantially.

But all and all, even though I ranked them like that, I would say there very close to each other in what I like the most.

Bottom line is if I am watching wrestling now, I want it to be exciting and have a decent story behind each feud, so I'll go with Storylines as a must have.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
It depends, really.

MAIN-EVENTER (in order):

1.Storyline
2.Mic-Skills
3.Ring-Skills

In the main-event, the storyline is most important. The main-event is a constant story of alternating characters. If people don't care about the fued, then they're not going to care about buying the PPV match. Mic-skills come second. Unless you're name is A.) Randy Orton or B.) The Undertaker, a main-eventer has to be able to reach the crowd with the gift of gab, and verbally allow the angle to continue. Ring-skills are the least important. In the main-event, 75% of the time, what goes on in the match, and how good or bad it was, is no longer relevant once the outcome and winner is determined, which continues the storyline, etc.

MID-CARDER (in order):

1.Ring Skills
2.Storyline
3.Mic-Skills

In the mid-card, ring-skills are dominant. Having a storyline and having a mouth isn't really nessecary. People watch a mid-card match to see the wrestling aspect of it. How many spots can get thrown out. Top rope splashes, submission maneuvers, etc. Mid-card storylines aren't really storys, but a series of weekly rematches that usually last about a month. Unlike the ME, the angles are simple, and are put there to give the mid-carder a reason to challenge his opponent again. And finally, mic-skills. If you can't talk, no problem. Just let yout ringwork do the talking for you, and save words for the main-event.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts