Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First impressions are a big thing in wrestling.

This thread asks the question which wrestlers where you wrong about. It's a question that can go different ways, you can give an answer about a wrestler who you'd thought would suck and turned out to be great, or the opposite, a wrestler that that you'd that be great, but turned out to suck.
Or even wrestlers that you'd thought would never be pushed, but eventually pushed to them moon or win a world title, or a wrestler that you thought would be the next great thing with a super push, but... Nothing.

For me I'll talk about a wrestler who after a gimmick change, I thought would become The top heel guy on smackdown back in 2008. And I'm talking about The Brian Kendrick.

When he changed his gimmick, I thought with his charisma, and already proven wrestling ability, that he would rise the ranks to be one of the top heels on the smack-down side. I thought he could feud with guys like CM Punk, and Jeff Hardy and just be hated. And I felt when he was added to the Scramble match, that it was WWE's way of making him get a cheap title win, and further his character, and somehow use Big Zeke to help him get that victory. But boy was I wrong, I remember him ending up on RAW. Losing to Lawler and being eliminated in the Rumble in like 10 seconds by HHH.

That's the main guy that comes to mind right now.

Excited to hear what you guys have to say.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
I thought Kevin Owens sucked....i was so wrong.

I thought Cesaro (Babyface) and Reigns (Heel) were gonna be the future of WWE and the next big feud and again i was wrong.

I was Right about the vaudevillians though...i said they were doomed and they are.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Rusev. Thought he was just another generic evil foreign heel monster a la Koslov, Khali, Umaga who would eventually job to Cena and fall off the face of this planet.

And whilst he did job to Cena, he has proven to be more than just your generic evil foreign heel monster. He has the charisma, the mic skills, the look, the character and the ring work required to become one of the top men on the roster. If Vince allows it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Daniel Bryan. I thought he was boring but once he started his tag team with Kane that changed and eventually he became one of my favorite guys to watch every week. And him winning the championship at WM 30 was one of my favorite moments ever.

·
Going fckin' Over.. while Digging Holes-uhh and Bu
2,610 Posts
The Haitch hated Rocky since day one. So he buried him at every fuckin' chance that he got.

He was a boring ass babyface. Fans didn't like him either and chanted DIE Rocky DIE at him.

The Haitch didn't even let him have his Mania moment when he was the face of the company.

But despite The Haitch fuckin' going over every fuckin' time they faced each other, Rocky somehow ended up becoming almost as big a star as The Haitch.

Now he's a big star in movies. Good for him. The Haitch didn't have passion for movies. His passion was in wrestling business. He doesn't hate Rocky anymore.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
All the three members of the Shield. I thought they would be the next big thing, and while they actually took over and are now the focal point of WWE programming, none of them lived up the expectations (at least the expectations I had, of course).

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I believe Charlotte has been the one I have been pretty wrong about. Thought she was having mediocre mic and wrestling skills, but after a few months she was the champion her skills improved very much, and I realized how wrong I was about her. I think what made me change her opinion about her was when they had the segment where she turned on Flair after ER and literally got heat from Indian fans(like how Flair was a heat magnet).

·
Here To Show The World.
2,335 Posts
My instincts are pretty spot on usually. I'm not usually wrong about wrestlers but I am sometimes wrong about what they will achieve, I didn't think Ambrose would be WWE champion for example.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
The first time I saw HHH was at a house show back when he first started with WCW as Terror Risin'. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't good either. He was trying hard but he was just kinda "there". I honestly thought he might make it to mid-card but that would be about has high as he would ever go...

Shows how wrong I can be. :)

·
TEAM KICK!
9,429 Posts
I thought Swagger would have gone on to be a pretty big star personally but it never happened.

Also thought Miz wouldn't last very long in the WWE past his team with Morrison.

Also saw nothing at all in Xavier Woods before New Day happened.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The miz. Now I didn't think he was trash, but he has succeeded in his gimmicks that he has used. I didn't see him winning the WWE Championship, and he did just that.

Daniel Bryan. Now I really did not like him but I did not hate him either. However through his tenure during the WWE was outstanding. From his NXT days, I surely thought he'd be a one trick pony, but he got over and defeated Evolution all in one night and winning the WWE World Heavyweight Championship in an amazing event that was capped off by his victory.

·
Registered
596 Posts
when i stopped watching in '07 i saw nothing in that throwaway straight edge guy on ecw...

my first experience back was in '14 when the shield went against evolution. i saw ambrose for the first time and was like "who's this pussy? lol":redface

·
Butter My Arse
11,734 Posts
Kofi Kingston is up there. I thought he was dead in the water and en route to being a cheesy babyface for the rest of his career, but the New Day run has totally reinvigorated him and made him more relevant than ever.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I thought Swagger would have gone on to be a pretty big star personally but it never happened.

Also thought Miz wouldn't last very long in the WWE past his team with Morrison.

Also saw nothing at all in Xavier Woods before New Day happened.
Who would have thought though Miz would be still relevant in freaking 2016?! Same goes for Woods, I thought he'd be stuck in lowest levels of midcard.

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
675 Posts
The Miz- I watched him back in his MTV days. I hated him in the Real World and The Challenge. When he first started in 2006 he was such a douche bag. Around 2008 is he when I started to like him.

The Great Khali- Thought he was going to be the next giant monster Heel.

JBL- I thought he was going to fix the Commentary, but all he did was make it worse.

Batista- Thought he was kinda boring in 03-04. It was all about HHH and Orton, but in 05 Batista become the bigger Star.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
The Miz. I remember him as the fratty obnoxious guy from the Real World/Road Rule Challenge shows shouting "Hoorah". Didn't think he'd make it in the WWE let alone be champion. 10 years later, he's still around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts