Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Likes wrestling....
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I distinctly remember arguing with my friends about this, I think this was 1989 when Anderson and Tully were gone to WWF, and their was a really breif run where Butch Reed, and Kendall Whindham were "associated" with the Horsemen. In fact Kendall held up the four fingers at one point. This was just before they became the Yamzaki Coperation.

So I understand most of you probably do not consider Reed and Kendall as Horsemen (I argued that they were only because I loved Butch Reed and wanted to call him a Horseman). But the question is who do you really you consider Horsemen? And do you consider Dillon as a Horseman even though he was never one of four?

Here is everyone I think that could be argued:

Arn Anderson
Ole Anderson
Tully Blanchard
Ric Flair
Lex Luger
Sting
James J Dillon
Sid Vicious
Butch Reed
Barry Windham
Kendall Windham
Paul Roma
Brian Pillman
Steve McMicheal
Chris Benoit
Dean Malenko
Jeff Jarrett
Curt Henning

Persoanlly I consider Arn, Ole, Ric, Tully as the Horsemen. But I accept in my opinion, Lex, Barry, Chris Benoit, Steve McMicheal, James J., and Dean Malenko.
I don't count the others as "real" Horsemen.

Who do you think are legit Horsemen?

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Re: Wreslters you consider Horsemen?

I swear I had an idea earlier today to start a thread where the idea was to mix and match Horsemen members to create the best possible combo. What I came up with was Flair, Arn, Tully, and Benoit, with JJ managing and Woman as their valet.

Who do I consider true Horsemen?
Flair
Arn
Tully
Benoit
Windham
Ole
Malenko
Henning(for what he could have done)
Pillman(barely)

That's it for me. Sting never was a good fit, Luger used them as a stepping stone, Vicious was horrible, I have no clue what they were thinking with Roma, Mongo watered the group down. The rest aren't even worthy of an explanation

·
Likes wrestling....
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I swear I had an idea earlier today to start a thread where the idea was to mix and match Horsemen members to create the best possible combo. What I came up with was Flair, Arn, Tully, and Benoit, with JJ managing and Woman as their valet.

Who do I consider true Horsemen?
Flair
Arn
Tully
Benoit
Windham
Ole
Malenko
Henning(for what he could have done)
Pillman(barely)

That's it for me. Sting never was a good fit, Luger used them as a stepping stone, Vicious was horrible, I have no clue what they were thinking with Roma, Mongo watered the group down. The rest aren't even worthy of an explanation
Don't get me wrong I never, ever liked Mongo as a Horseman, but I just can't deny he was one. I can ignore all the others I left off, especially Sting who was only a Horseman so they could turn on him. So he does not count in my book.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

I think HHH had a quote once about the jobber from the Young Stallions being a Horseman. Hahaha awesome.

To answer the question...

Flair
Arn
Tully
Pegasus
Windham
Ole
Malenko
Henning
Pillman
Mongo

As for Sting yeah he was a Horseman for like 48 seconds and Luger is a douche so no thanks.

When was Butch Reed a Horseman? I just can't remember.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
52,530 Posts

Ric Flair
Arn Anderson
Tully Blanchard
Ole Anderson
Barry Windham
JJ Dillion (manager)

That's it, for me.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

·
Likes wrestling....
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I think HHH had a quote once about the jobber from the Young Stallions being a Horseman. Hahaha awesome.

To answer the question...

Flair
Arn
Tully
Pegasus
Windham
Ole
Malenko
Henning
Pillman
Mongo

As for Sting yeah he was a Horseman for like 48 seconds and Luger is a douche so no thanks.

When was Butch Reed a Horseman? I just can't remember.
In 1989, but I don't think he was official.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

·
Likes wrestling....
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Why the hell do I not remember this. This was early 89 I assume like before the Flair/Steamboat feud yeah?
No I actually think it was later, btw I was at the Wresltewar 89 Steamboat vs Flair match. So do you remember the Yamazaki deal?

Here is what happened

Basically the Yamazaki guy comes in begins managing the Horsemen
Reed starts wrestling squashes with Yamazaki as his manager
Whindham turns heel and holds up four fingers in match and is with Yamazaki.
Vicious, Reed, Whindham and Flair are associated with Yamazaki.
Within a couple of weeks the Horsemen name is gone.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Kendall Windham and Butch Reed are definitely out. "Associate" ain't the real thing. Were Jarrett and Hennig ever "official" Horseman? My post-96 WCW knowledge is limited at best.

I wish I could exclude Roma, Sid and Ole too, but that wouldn't really be fair. The promotion was stupid enough to make them official members. I do have a soft spot for Mongo though.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kendall Windham and Butch Reed are definitely out. "Associate" ain't the real thing. Were Jarrett and Hennig ever "official" Horseman? My post-96 WCW knowledge is limited at best.

I wish I could exclude Roma, Sid and Ole too, but that wouldn't really be fair. The promotion was stupid enough to make them official members. I do have a soft spot for Mongo though.
I think they were, although Jarrett is debatable.

I would like to talk to one of the guys and see what they were thinking with Reed and Whidham. I wonder if they were told they were Horsemen? That is one of the great mysteries of wrestling I would like to get the whole story on.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
No I actually think it was later, btw I was at the Wresltewar 89 Steamboat vs Flair match. So do you remember the Yamazaki deal?

Here is what happened

Basically the Yamazaki guy comes in begins managing the Horsemen
Reed starts wrestling squashes with Yamazaki as his manager
Whindham turns heel and holds up four fingers in match and is with Yamazaki.
Vicious, Reed, Whindham and Flair are associated with Yamazaki.
Within a couple of weeks the Horsemen name is gone.
Ringing a bell.

Wow you were at that match? Damn.

Biggest match I saw live was HBK/Nash No Holds Barred In Your House.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ringing a bell.

Wow you were at that match? Damn.

Biggest match I saw live was HBK/Nash No Holds Barred In Your House.
I have been to about 5 groundbreaking events, that being the best. The others were.

-Wrestlemania 8 Hogan vs Vicious and Flair vs Savage.

-WWF No Holds Barred 1989 Hulk Hogan & Brutus Beefcake defeated Randy Savage & Zeus in a Steel Cage match

-Grate American Bash Tour 1985 Jerry Lawler defeats Ric Martel in a match for the AWA heavyweight title.

-Nashville CWA house show where Jerry Lawler defeats Bill Dundee loser leaves town around 1989

I was also at a mega card pre AWA SuperClash III with Lawler vs Von Erich as the main event.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
-Nashville CWA house show where Jerry Lawler defeats Bill Dundee loser leaves town around 1989
How many loser leaves town matches did these two have? :lmao
Did it ever get old?

The most famous wrestling thing I ever saw live has to be Bret beating Diesel for the WWF Title.
But my favorite is being there for Sandman's return to ECW at THE Arena. :mark:

·
Likes wrestling....
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How many loser leaves town matches did these two have? :lmao
Did it ever get old?

The most famous wrestling thing I ever saw live has to be Bret beating Diesel for the WWF Title.
But my favorite is being there for Sandman's return to ECW at THE Arena. :mark:
Not sure becuase they pretty much repeated the same main event on Monday night in Memphis, Tuesday in Louisville, and then Saturday Night in Nashville. They would simply edit the Memphis TV taping to include promos for the specific towns. In addition to the other nights of the week where they were in various cities.

Officially I am not sure. The "official" ones were probably considered in Memphis and Lawler won at least three and Dundee won I think one. Of course each time there was a one year stipulation and the loser would either be brought back via loophole after doing some vacation time or working another territory. I know Lawler worked Polynesian pro long enough to get a win over Snuka, and Dundee had a brief stint in Georgia during one of his. The two of them worked so many big matches it is hard to say for certain how many loser leaves town matches there were.

But my favorite stipulation ever was Lawler's title vs Dundee's wife's hair which Lawler won in 1977

By-Tor I finally saw the questions you asked on another thead, hope you saw that.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Flair
Tully
Arn
Windham
Ole
Benoit
Malenko

The best horsemen! Damn I miss that group before it got so convoluted and the writers started adding everyone

·
Likes wrestling....
8,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I guess since creeycrawl suggested it may be fun also to ask who is your dream Horseman lineup?

If I could choose a dream Horseman team it would be...

Ric Flair
Arn Anderson
Dean Malenko
Butch Reed (although he was really never one in my mind so if I had to I would replece him with Tully)
with James J and Ole co-managing

Now another fun question would be, who are guys who could have fit the gimmick from that era who could have been good Horsemen?
I would imagine....
Ted Dibiase
Austin Idol
Buddy Landell (In the Tully spot)
Ric Rude (in the Luger, Ole, Windham spot)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts