Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been watching what Bully Ray has been doing recently and this gimmick is far more entertaining than anything he's done in his career up to this point. I mean I liked The Dudleys in ECW and for a while in the WWF. I even met Bubba Ray at a TNA autograph signing a few years ago. But I never really cared for him until now. He's absolutely fantastic doing the Bully Ray gimmick. His promos are great, his matches are fun and he looks to be getting into the best shape of his career.

Undertaker is another wrestler that comes to mind. I loved the gimmick in the '90s but, IMO, his wrestling style sucked. He had good matches but not great matches with the exceptions of Undertaker/Mankind at KOTR '98 and against HBK at Bad Blood '97. He got better when he was doing the biker gimmick and especially as Big Evil when he started throwing more realistic boxing/MMA style punches and wearing the UFC style gloves and doing submissions. I think his absolute best time in the ring has been since 2006 or so when he got into really good shape. He was always a little over weight but in '06 he dropped down to less than 300 pounds and moved around the ring incredibly well. Since then he's had the best matches at WrestleMania pretty much every year, he's had some great non-WM matches against Kurt Angle at No Way Out '06 and their rematch on SmackDown a few weeks later or against Batista in Hell in a Cell at Survivor Series '07, against Edge at SummerSlam and One Night Stand '08. He's definitely someone who has improved as he's gotten older.

Who else?

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Most of it just has to do with gimmicks.

Batista is someone who did real great when he got older too. Lots of people seemed to love his final gimmick before he left.

Does HBK count too? Every WM match he had since 2003 was great,and that was after his huge injury,and obviously when he was 4-5 years older than he was in attitude era(at his last WM)

·
Banned
561 Posts
all wrestlers should do so, it's called the more you do it and work at it the better you get at it, with that said, i think randy orton has really come a long way and is arguably the best worker in ring in the company

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
Triple H got better. He went from jobbing to the Ultimate Warrior, to winning Wrestlemania main events. Pretty good improvement.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just meant guys like Undertaker and Bully Ray where I thought they were pretty much done. I remember hearing rumors about Undertaker retiring back in 2000/2001. So to not only be around until now but to reinvent himself and put on some of the best matches in his career since then is great.

Same with Bully Ray. He's a guy I thought would probably be taking it easy right now. But here he is and he's completely reinvented himself, he's gotten into shape and is at the best of his career right now, IMO.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Mark Henry, for me, he would be an eternal jobber/low midcarder, but damn, now, he is awesome !!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I think wrestlers are always best when they are younger.. They have a passion for the sport and they are in their physical prime.
However over time they will be pushed more, hardly anyone unlike Brock Lesnar etc have progressed up the chain to main event quickly, therefore they are usually hired in their prime, wasted for years until they make main event.. But they have not become better performers, they have simply been given that exposure and air time.

Having said that though, I'm going to contradict myself. Wrestlers CAN (if they have the right attitude) get better with age up to a certain point when they become too old. If they do not become arrogant and un interested the more time you rack up in the ring, the more naturally you will perform.

Regarding my first point, this is why I believe fantastic performers like Ziggler are being wasted at the moment.. He is in his prime, PUSH HIM.

·
Registered
408 Posts
JBL.

·
Banned
833 Posts
OMG at the forum members who post before me. Mention TRIPLE H FFS! :cuss:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts