Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many wrestlers often transform their career by undergoing a complete character change whilst involved with the company (mostly veterans). They either have massive, limited or no success. Who would you say are the most notable of these and why are they your favorites (please add more to the list as I'm sure there will be more)?

RVD
Su Yung
Johnny Swinger
Joker Sting
Broken Matt Hardy
Willow
EC3
Super Eric Young
Curry Man
Pope D'Angelo Dinero
Black Reign

·
Registered
967 Posts
Many wrestlers often transform their career by undergoing a complete character change whilst involved with the company (mostly veterans). They either have massive, limited or no success. Who would you say are the most notable of these and why are they your favorites (please add more to the list as I'm sure there will be more)?

RVD
Su Yung
Johnny Swinger
Joker Sting
Broken Matt Hardy
Willow
EC3
Super Eric Young
Curry Man
Pope D'Angelo Dinero
Black Reign
Black Reign, Willow and Joker Sting sucked imo. The changes where all cosmetic, they never changed how they acted in ring (move set, style of wrestling etc) and had zero impact on the programming in grand scheme of things.

Broken Matt Hardy and Brother Nero where great fun, completely out there entertainment wise and you could tell the wrestlers where giving a 100% of their effort in getting the changes over, in ring and with the promos/vignettes. I'd say the Broken gimmick open the door for Impact to try wilder story line options with the likes of Rosemary, Su Young etc.

EC3 is one of Impact greatest achievements imo. They had a jobber from the WWE and totally reinvented him into a main event talent who the fans bought into, both as a heel and as babyface. Shame he left to be wasted in nxt/wwe. Again i would say EC3, as well as Matt Hardy, helped change Impact minds in allowing wrestlers the freedom to try different gimmicks and the right to use them else where.

Pope should have been a lot bigger in Impact history, should have been a champion at least once but booking really let him down. Didn't help he was getting big just as Easy E and Hulk Hogan came into the company and ruined everything.

Curry man theme was great that all I'll say about him, as for Super Eric i forgot that was a thing lmao. Johnny Swinger harmless enough and has been amusing with Tommy dreamer and Joey Ryan (god i never thought I'd give him positive credit). RVD so damn great as a heel, he was stale as fuck as a babyface so glad he's changed.

·
Registered
967 Posts
OP I'd also add Raven, Abyss and Rosemary to your list:

Raven has reinvented himself multiple times, from the lone brooding avenger fighting against the New church to grouping such as The Gathering and (admittedly shit) Serotonin the guy changed constantly. He really should be in Impact HOF as he was a big player in the early days.

Abyss reinvented himself a fair few times too. Chris park gimmick was goofy fun ( while letting the poor bastard heal up from all the damage he did to himself around that time). Plus the break help make Abyss become more of a threat again after all the bad booking that had ruined him prier (James Mitchell being his father, Abyss shooting him? My god trying to remember it all is giving me a headache). Plus the changes he made to the Abyss gimmick to work with Decay was really good, no one would have expected a past it Abyss and Crazzy Steve to be one of the biggest teams going in Impact at the time. They helped make the Broken Universe madness work.

Rosemary I know wrestled as Courtney Rush, if I'm not mistaken a big rival of hers at the time is now a bunny.... anyway the Rosemary gimmick seems like a more refined gimmick to what she was doing as Rush. She fucking fantastic, her acting skills and manners are brilliant to watch and she had a big impact in the women division and tag team (helping get Decay over) so i'd count that as a successful gimmick change.

·
The TNA IMPACT Wrestling Guru
214 Posts
Bully Ray. He took the ball and ran with it. Proved everybody wrong.

·
Registered
306 Posts
EC3 was shit I honestly can’t understand what people like about him. I don’t even find him a good talker.

I though Willow was awesome and he became a lot more aggressive then when he was Jeff Hardy.

Bully Ray was great

Johnny from FBI becoming Rellik who was absolutely awesome character. I’m sure he was the Rellik character in Nxt (different name)or whatever the WWE development was back then.
I liked Curry Man much more then Christopher Daniels.
Rockstar Spud was much better then Drake Maverick.

Samoa Joe was a fat guy who could take bumps on WWE and lost all the time..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Two that always impressed me were Slash and Malice of Father James Mitchell's The Disciples of the New Church from the early TNA days. Slash was Wolfie D from PG-13 and The Nation of Domination. Malice was The Wall from WCW. Both went goth or darker more evil characters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts