Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, wrestlers that got big on little momentum, little skill or wrestlers that got lucky considering their position.

The Miz would have to be the best shout. Guy looked like a jobber for life, and now he's looking like the guy to lead us into the 'next era' for the WWE.

R-Truth's current heel push is pretty awesome and unexpected.

CM Punk. Indy star, hasn't got the 'WWE look', but made himself extremely huge given the circumstances.

·
Banned
2,576 Posts
Khali. I didn't think that even the WWE would be that fucking retarded.

The Miz when he first broke onto the scene looked pretty hopeless. Once he actually got involved in feuds it became pretty obvious that he had a lot to offer. Truth always had talent, just had one of the worst gimmicks in existence for a ridiculous length of time and Punk? He was always going to be a star.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Dolph Ziggler. I laughed when they brought him out for a dark match vs. D'lo Brown in 2008 and thought, "have fun bagging groceries next month." Low and behold, ol' Nicky from the Spirit Squad is in the middle of an impressive US championship reign and in my opinion, the heel to replace that bum Del Rio. And another thing-- he can work a match like a motherfucker!

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Ryder to be honest, I thought he would've been released, not because he wasn't talented but because WWE saw nothing in him for so long

·
Banned
362 Posts

The Miz when he first broke onto the scene looked pretty hopeless. Once he actually got involved in feuds it became pretty obvious that he had a lot to offer. Truth always had talent, just had one of the worst gimmicks in existence for a ridiculous length of time and Punk? He was always going to be a star.
alot of fans liked khali. he was a 7 foot monster. khali could have even been a draw had he won more matches.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I, too, would have to say the Miz. The moment, I first saw this dude in 2007, I was like who is this joker and said he's never going to be someone. Flash-forward four years later, and before you know it, he has that thing where not a whole lot of people have, a good solid foundation to get the necessary reaction from the fans and is one of the leaders to the next era, whenever that is.

Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate this guy, but I'll give him props, which means he's doing his job really well.

·
#FunFact™
7,513 Posts
Miz takes the cake for me. I thought he was so bad during his Smackdown debut that I thought he would be canned within a few weeks.

John Morrison surprised me as well. During the end of his Raw run as Johnny Nitro where he teamed up with Kenny Dykstra on Heat, I thought he would be long gone after that.

JTG. The moment I saw Cryme Tyme's debut promo, I thought the team would be gone within a year. Grant it, they were released, but they were brought back and now JTG still somehow has a job.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Zack Ryder, I see a lot talk about him and the matches he has been in a great. When I first saw him and Hawkins as Edge-Heads, I thought as soon as this feud/gimmick thing is over with Undertaker both these guys would be released. But Ryder has made a stretch between that and now.

R-Truth, I never, ever thought he would be as big as he is today, I thought WWE would release him after a few good matches here and there like they did earlier when he was K-Kwik, but look at him now - teaming with The Miz.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Professional wrestling is all about showmanship and spectacle, and while Khali might not be the greatest showman he is certainly a spectacle. His freakshow size and build makes him something of a special attraction and WWE likes having those types of draws.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The Rock. When he was Rocky Maivia I never imagined he would become a huge star as he did.

·
Registered
12,415 Posts
Definitely the Miz. When he was doing the whole "Hoo-Rah" crap and botching the Divas Search, I figured he would be ousted within 3 months. Instead...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
JBL, even moreso than Miz. Anyone can be a main eventer these days... freakin Bradshaw from the Acolytes was pegged as a midcarder for life when that wasn't the case. Not long after the Attitude era, he makes a complete character transformation and delivers some of the best heel promos WWE has ever seen.

·
Registered
16,329 Posts
John Cena: seriously when he first came in, I honestly tohught he would be forgotten I look back at all the WWE superstars that have had rap gimmicks, (Men on a Mission perfect example) and tohught that gimmick has been a curse, guess for Cena he kinda showed me :p

Triple H: I remember his rich, upper class, snobby gimmick when he debuted, I didnt think anything of the character, his squash match with Ultimate Warrior kinda made me think he was goign to be packing soon, then guess what he gets upto after that? Only DX ! And now look where he is.

Edge: Very shocked as I stopped watchign the WWE before Edge's rise to stardom but when I returned he wa a main eventer so that was kinda a shock tot he system, I only remembered him before that for his awesome tag matches.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Rikishi

He was given a gimmick that should not of worked but him, Scotty 2 Hotty & Grand Master Sexay somehow got it to work and those 3 guys got huge reactions from the fans and as a heel he did get some good reactions but I couldn't take him seriously because he was still wearing the Thong and using the Stinkface as a finisher, but to get to Main Event level was very suprising when you consider his gimmick

·
Asuka
96,233 Posts
Pretty much everybody gets farther than most people think. John Morrison is pretty much the exception, in which he's not gone as far as most people thought, thank God. I NEVER saw main event potential in him, ever, and figured that he'd pretty much be stuck like this, although WWE could've possibly thrown him a single reign. It's a miracle they haven't done that yet.

Miz is the best example of a push from the complete bottom of the card to a bonafide star.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Edge. When I was watching in 2000, I always thought he'll only be in the tag team division all his career. I could never imagine him in the main event.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts