Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of cross between TNA and WWE but I was just wondering your guys thoughts on when wrestlers overstay there welcome in the sport. I mean you see guys like Hogan and Flaire have their WWE retirement ceremonies and HOF inductions which gives them a place in history and a nice way to go out, then not even a year late you them on TV again drinking Smirnoff ice and playing the air guitar with their crutches. I know these guys revolutionized the sport, but do you think its time for them to go or would you rather have then stay involved in the business? Would you rather see Stone Cold and make a comeback while slowly withering or a new guy emerge as a star?

·
Registered
559 Posts
flair was really disrespectful, they gave him this huge retirement sendoff and then he leaves and wrestles its just kind of a slap in the face to both wwe and us fans. as far as hogan he never really had an "official retirement" i mean yea last match and watever but its not nearly as bad as flair. both should give up though

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I don't have a problem with guys like Flair retiring and coming back. Even when they get the big ceremonies. These guys have a right to earn a living.

I don't think what Flair's doing by being in TNA is disrespectful at all.

How many times did Terry Funk retire and come back?

Things like this happen all the time in Pro wrestling and sports in general.

Michael Jordan retired, then came back. Then retired, and came back again.

Sugar Ray Leonard's had about 4 or 5 retirements overall.

Magic Johnson came back for a short time.

I don't think it's as big a deal as people make it out to be.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I see it both ways. Flair had a big send off and was regarded as a loyal and well respected guy in the WWE but when he crossed to TNA and hypothetically spit in the face of Vince, HBK and all the WWE. If he loved the business and wanted to stay involved somehow he should of stuck with WWE souly on the fact they stood by him and made him the guy he retired as (ok so he made his name in WCW but still).

On the other hand they, him and Hogan, have the right to try and build up another company and put the younger talent on the map. Without legends of the industry like these 2 nobody would know who the hell guys like AJ styles, Jay Lethal, Doug Williams etc are.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I see it both ways. Flair had a big send off and was regarded as a loyal and well respected guy in the WWE but when he crossed to TNA and hypothetically spit in the face of Vince, HBK and all the WWE. If he loved the business and wanted to stay involved somehow he should of stuck with WWE souly on the fact they stood by him and made him the guy he retired as (ok so he made his name in WCW but still).

On the other hand they, him and Hogan, have the right to try and build up another company and put the younger talent on the map. Without legends of the industry like these 2 nobody would know who the hell guys like AJ styles, Jay Lethal, Doug Williams etc are.
Flair is more willing to put younger talent over than Hogan is. Flair is brilliant on the mic and has really worked to put over Fortune. Hogan has never been willing to put anyone over but himself and his cronies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In fairness, other than a couple of, frankly ill advised matches they've stuck to acting in a manager type role, helping current wrestlers get over which for me is fine. I just dont enjoy watching 70 year old men going at it but i dont see it as particularly disrespectful that they continue to be on our screens after being inducted to the HOF, If they can continue making a living from this business at their age then good on them.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think it all depends on the wrestler. If he can still contribute in some meaningful way (putting on good matches, excellent mic work, a limited role that gives the company exposure), then let them stay. But if he is well beyond the point of being able to help a company either as a wrestler, manager, or ambassador, then they should move on. Flair is still contributing and advancing pro wrestling - either by putting over younger guys, serving as an ambassador for ROH for a while, or even putting on decent matches in his last days with WWE. Hogan, however, is WELL beyond the point of contributing to the industry. He's practically crippling TNA financially and creatively.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think it all depends on the wrestler. If he can still contribute in some meaningful way (putting on good matches, excellent mic work, a limited role that gives the company exposure), then let them stay. But if he is well beyond the point of being able to help a company either as a wrestler, manager, or ambassador, then they should move on. Flair is still contributing and advancing pro wrestling - either by putting over younger guys, serving as an ambassador for ROH for a while, or even putting on decent matches in his last days with WWE. Hogan, however, is WELL beyond the point of contributing to the industry. He's practically crippling TNA financially and creatively.
Basically this, as long as they keep giving to the company and helping it succeed then they should be welcome, once they become dead weight then they are outstaying their welcome.

·
Banned
3,560 Posts
Flair should have stayed away, I find him so annoying. Its the fact that he believes he can still go okay when in actual fact he's awful. But see if Michaels came back, it would be okay because he can still believably go but watching Flair beat Kennedy in the WWE like twice was so stupid and not even nearly believable. You can't use the famous old "they need to earn a living", what they need to know is when to leave and step aside. But the company is too respectful. Fair enough if its Dusty Rhodes or Ted DiBiase who do on screen management or whatever roles but not wrestling, please.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Flair coming back was more of a slap in the face to HBK than anybody.
I disagree. I would say Bret Hart was for loyal long watching wrestling fans like myself. I was a huge Hart fan and thought he was a man of his word. He had the HOF, that was fine. That should have been the end.

And unlike Hogan and Flair, Hart is winning titles which makes him even more of a hypocrite than anyone in the history of pro wrestling.

If he appeared on just the one Raw, maybe that would be okay but he definitely overstayed his welcome after that. Just look at his arguably worst WM match of all time against Vince McMahon. You can say he had a stroke and such, but ultimately he is the only one that knew something was wrong and how bad it was but he did it anyway because "he needs to be in the spotlight again", he needs that big payday.

This from the same man that claimed he didn't care that much about money. The same man that claimed wrestlers stay in the business too long.

What a fucking sellout. And for what? To have a terrible Wrestlemania match. To have an "appreciation night", a house show that was actually promoted as something different, and was the first time to not sell out MSG. To appear on TV and not make one difference at all (the rating the night stayed the same, no huge bump).

But he got to win another title. So that's great with the IWC, while Flair is working with young guys in Fortune.

I do agree what Flair did was wrong but in many ways Bret Hart is worse. And even if Flair and Hogan did win a title belt in TNA, at least you can say they worked an actual match for it, Bret Hart can't say the seem, which makes him even more pathetic.

·
Banned
3,560 Posts
Hart was a different scenario all together. He came back and toured with the WWE meeting all his fans in all different arenas. He won the US title and dropped it the next night, he didn't even beat the Miz tbf, there was a big clusterfuck riot. The WWE asked him to come back and he put over Hart Dynasty, Nexus, the Miz even more and he pleased a lot of fans with just his appearances alone. Then he left and he occasionally came back but it was always relevant. Ric Flair just shit on his retirement and rejoined, he never retired at all.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
HHH,JBL, Flair, Hogan, are guys that should have called it quits before they did

bad pointless matches, erecting glass ceilings, poor immature attitudes towards the business and its fans

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I think Flair going to TNA was a disloyal move after WWE gave him the perfect send off, but if Flair wouldn't have wrestled AGAIN, it woulda been okay. With him wrestling here and there, it's just in poor taste. Same with Hogan.

Now with a Stone Cold, HBK, or Rock, these guys were still capable of performing at high standards and weren't as old as Hogan or Flair. Austin and HBK are 44-45?, and Rock is 38. HBK has maybe one to two good years left I think, and now that Austin is fully healthy, he does too. Rock has 2-3 years left in him as well. They retired before the legacy could be wiped out, sort of like Jordan did. Jordan never fucked up his legacy anytime he came back IMO. Hogan did. Flair did.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Flair is a wrestler that fellow young stars respect and look up to. Dixie hired the guy to guide and help the younger guys of TNA.

I respect how much work Flair puts into his character in TNA. I bet he has a lot of cash, but he doesn't feel ready to retire yet.

HE'S A workahlic! he just wont quit

·
Bowing down to the BEAST INCARNATE
4,564 Posts
I guess from Flair's standpoint, why not get the retirement treatment from the WWE, instead of rotting and not being used.

I was darn glad TNA brought him in, this man has so much to offer still, I still can't believe how dumb WWE were to get rid of him that quickly. Albeit they did a tremendous job to retire him from the WWE.

If he were real lazy and didn't work, I'd maybe speak otherwise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts