Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The movie "Faster" is set for release next week (November 24th). It stars Dwayne Johnson and Bill Bob Thorton. Here is a link for the trailer for those who havent seen it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujc1RlY22ts

What do you think? Do you think it will be a success? If we are being honest here, I think most of us could agree that movies that have starred former wwe stars in a major role have been very average at best.. Most of them being mediocre.. From what I've read on this forum, alot of people are sick of hearing about the rock and anything having to do with him. However, I'm hoping that the actual movie lives up to this trailer and Johnson delivers a solid performance. Not just for Johnson's sake, but for the sake of future wwe superstars. Whether Dwayne likes it or not, he will forever be associated with "The Rock" character he created in wwe. And if Johnson could somehow be taken seriously as an actor in hollywood, this could open doors for other wwe superstars as well.I just see it as a good thing for us fans if more talented people tried to use the wwe as a gateway into hollywood. It's a win-win situation for us fans and the company as a whole imo. Do you think it could be a positive for wwe if more talent came into the company with aspirations of reaching hollywood? Or is that a bad thing for wrestling in general? Is this already happening now?

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I didnt know Billy Bob Thorton was in Faster. From the trailers the movie looks like crap. I think The Rock does better in comedies his role in Get Smart was pretty good and his one scene in the Reno 911 movie was funny.

Rock is a naturally funny and charismatic guy and he should play on that strength in Hollywood.

·
I recycle.
1,281 Posts
Yep looks lame, even down to his 6 shooter, looks like they're trying to channel a Clint Eastwood style badass but so unbelievable.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't know if Faster will be a 'success' or not, depends on what you mean by 'success' (makes a profit, wins an award, you like it, etc etc)

...If we are being honest here, I think most of us could agree that movies that have starred former wwe stars in a major role have been very average at best.. Most of them being mediocre..From what I've read on this forum, alot of people are sick of hearing about the rock and anything having to do with him. However, I'm hoping that the actual movie lives up to this trailer and Johnson delivers a solid performance. Not just for Johnson's sake, but for the sake of future wwe superstars.Whether Dwayne likes it or not, he will forever be associated with "The Rock" character he created in wwe.
Yeah there were some real shockers starring WWE wrestlers but Dwayne Johnson is a good actor and has done well.
Although The Rock will always be a part of Dwayne's past, I don't agree he will always be 'associated' with that character just as he is no longer 'associated' with the Scorpion King.
How many of the kiddies watching the Tooth Fairy knew it was The Rock ?
A friend asked me if I could recommend a movie for her kids to watch, I said the Tooth Fairy was silly fun and it starred The Rock, she looked confused and said "It stars a rock ????? Is it like The NeverEnding Story ?" :rolleyes:

We talk about Dwayne Johnson and his movie career in the thread Jericho:I'm not like Rocky
Here is just a snippet of what I had to say about Dwayne Johnson having a successful movie career and his movies being a 'success'.

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson - Resume
2002 to 2005 - One movie a year
2006 to 2008 - Two movies a year
2009 - Three movies
2010 - Four movies
2011 (so far) - Will make one movie (having a break from the busy schedule maybe)
2012 (so far) - Will make three movies

That is a resume that many actors would love to have.
He has been the Disney favorite for quite a while now so whether you like the movies or not (and they're probably not made for you) Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson must be delivering the goods or the studios would have dumped him long ago.
....Just as a quick look at how successful Dwayne's movies are let's compare them with another well known star who does action and comedy, the star of the first major movie that 'The Rock' appeared in, Brendan Fraser. Brendan is very 'bankable' in Hollywood and has been for a long tme, he just recently starred alongside Harrison Ford, that's a big rap.
Dwayne's first 'starring' role was in The Scorpian King in 2002 and Brendan was already an established star by then but let's compare them from 2002 until 2010.

Brendan Fraser Movies, World Wide Gross: $1,199,606,360
http://www.the-numbers.com/people/BFRAS.php

Dwayne Johnson Movies, World Wide Gross: $2,075,616,761
http://www.the-numbers.com/people/TROCK.php

If you went to Hollywood and told the studios that Dwayne Johnson does not have a good career and only 2 or 3 movies are any good, they would not believe you......

.....Remember, he was a film-maker (writer and director) in 1999 so he obviously has a passion for film making......

.....And if Johnson could somehow be taken seriously as an actor in hollywood, this could open doors for other wwe superstars as well.....
I think the above shows that Hollywood does take Dwayne Johnson seriously as an actor.
As for opening the doors to Hollywood, I don't think there are any wrestlers who would make good actors except maybe Cena. Here is what I said before:

....This may surprise you but I think Cena could be a good actor but probably not until he becomes fully committed to it.
With pro wrestling there are cameras and close-ups so the facial expressions are important and of course body language.
But, the 'acting' side of pro wrestling is also similar to stage acting in that the body language often has to be exaggerated to reach the back row of the live audience, so it is not enough to look sad in the face the whole body must slump to show the last row that the character is sad or arms must be waved around to show emotions etc
This overt body language and not having a live audience is probably the major obstacle that both stage actors and pro wrestlers have to overcome to be able to work within the film industry.
Having watched Cena and Barrett 'face to face' during this latest Nexus period I am seeing Cena as someone who can express himself well, I find it the most interesting part of this whole angle at the moment......

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
The movie "Faster" is set for release next week (November 24th). It stars Dwayne Johnson and Bill Bob Thorton. Here is a link for the trailer for those who havent seen it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujc1RlY22ts

What do you think? Do you think it will be a success? If we are being honest here, I think most of us could agree that movies that have starred former wwe stars in a major role have been very average at best.. Most of them being mediocre.. From what I've read on this forum, alot of people are sick of hearing about the rock and anything having to do with him. However, I'm hoping that the actual movie lives up to this trailer and Johnson delivers a solid performance. Not just for Johnson's sake, but for the sake of future wwe superstars. Whether Dwayne likes it or not, he will forever be associated with "The Rock" character he created in wwe. And if Johnson could somehow be taken seriously as an actor in hollywood, this could open doors for other wwe superstars as well.I just see it as a good thing for us fans if more talented people tried to use the wwe as a gateway into hollywood. It's a win-win situation for us fans and the company as a whole imo. Do you think it could be a positive for wwe if more talent came into the company with aspirations of reaching hollywood? Or is that a bad thing for wrestling in general? Is this already happening now?
No matter what a bunch of 16 year old kids say on this forum, the Rock is the most successful star in the history of pro wrestling, bar none. Next Friday proves that yet again. And he's had solid to show stealing performances since his first flick in 2001.

The Rock is taken seriously because he has unmatched charisma and a fanbase bigger than the wrestling industry. No one you can think of is anywhere to that status. Cena and Show have bombed big time..the Kane flick was alright. Jericho is content to be a piece of a flick..not a starring role. Austin has done well in the roles given to him but him as the lead role never does big money. Hogan was huge and even during his heyday, his movies flopped. As did all of those WCW stars that got pushed in those TNT made for TV movies that no one even remotely talks about.

The Rock should be praised for being as great as he is. Not hated on by the unintelligent and mediocre loving fanbase that is left from the Era he revolutionized over 10 years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts