Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, was just reading an old article online about wrestlers and religion. Chris Jericho had some interesting stuff to say about it. He said because of his faith he would not do anything sexual on wwe but is ok with doing violence. I was wondering if anyone knew of any wrestlers who were very committed to their faith. Many wrestlers seem to be religous.

So far I know of:

Sting - Born again Christian, wouldn't come to WWE partly because of this
Ultimate Warrior.
Hogan - Speaks quite often about God's will
Eddie Guerrero
HBK - Born again Christian
Chris Jericho.
Ezekiel Jackson - anyone who has read this guys twitter will know what I mean
Goldust - has blocked non-Christians and unbelievers off his twitter
Goldberg - Jew
Jinder Mahal - Sikh

I'm sure there are more that other people could elaborate on.

I remember a long time ago there was some lowly jobber that had a religious fundamentalist gimmick that didn't go over very well.

Does anyone know about people like Undertaker, Kane, Austin, etc? Are there any Muslim or Atheist wrestlers?

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Unusually, I always find it interesting to learn about the faiths of wrestlers. A lot of the guys have to turn to it after painkiller addictions and stuff like that (Eddie, HBK, Superstar Billy Graham, although I think he always was even before)

I'm pretty sure CM Punk is atheist. I'm not a religious guy at all so I always found it unusual when a supposed Christian would take part in a controversial angle with some edgy stuff. (Eddie/Rey/Dominic feud, for example)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unusually, I always find it interesting to learn about the faiths of wrestlers. A lot of the guys have to turn to it after painkiller addictions and stuff like that (Eddie, HBK, Superstar Billy Graham, although I think he always was even before)

I'm pretty sure CM Punk is atheist. I'm not a religious guy at all so I always found it unusual when a supposed Christian would take part in a controversial angle with some edgy stuff. (Eddie/Rey/Dominic feud, for example)
Yeah, punk comes across like he would be an Atheist. Can't think of many others though.

·
Ceramic Wizard Bong
3,993 Posts
Jake the Snake found some time to be a born again christian in the 90s when he wasnt busy taking drugs, fucking hookers and abandoning his kids.

"you sit there and you thump your bible and you say your prayers and it didnt do a DAMN thing....."

·
Premium Member
4,770 Posts
I'm know CM Punk's an atheist because he said that he was on an interview about a month or two ago. I can't link it. I forgot what it was. Anyway, he seams like one to me.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did some digging and one of cm punks tweets read the following:

"There is no god, and the cage wasn't 30 feet."

It was in response to something Ted Dibiase tweeted to him.

So it's safe to say Cm Punk is indeed an Atheist.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The Dibiase and Rhodes families are baptists
Kurt Angle
Christian & Edge
Santino Marella
Rey Mysterio
The Miz (As shocking as it probably sounds, he was spotted in a church)

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
This is a can of worms that should not be opened on this message forum, of all places, with all the young, immature & close-minded people here. Add in internet anonymity and you're just asking for trouble.

·
Banned
350 Posts
This is a can of worms that should not be opened on this message forum, of all places, with all the young, immature & close-minded people here. Add in internet anonymity and you're just asking for trouble.
typical religious fanatic calling athiests close minded for being smart :banplz:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Marc Mero was uncomfortable having an on screen romance with DDP's wife in WCW because of his "Christian values". A couple of years later his wife was appearing in WWF rings wearing the most revealing clothing in broadcast TV history, and he was involved in angle where he was physically abusive towards her. I guess his values "evolved".

·
Registered
61 Posts
Even though the USA is a fairly religious country, pro wrestlers still seem to have a higher-than-average turnout of religious people. I wonder if it goes hand-in-hand with the fact that - as far as the entertainment industry goes - pro wrestlers tend to be a lot more right-wing than the average (not knocking right- or left-wings here, just an observation).

Road Dogg and Paul Bearer both talk God a considerable amount on their Twitter pages. Quite a few former personalities are genuinely pastors and preachers and whatnot, such as Ted DiBiase and Slick. If I recall correctly, Bret Hart is an agnostic, and wasn't one of Sting's reasons for turning down the WWE because he felt it conflicted with his Christian beliefs?

As far as atheists go; I know that William Regal is one as he states as much in his book, but following on from my opening sentence; on average British people aren't as religious as American people, so it's not a huge surprise.

That said, despite what I said at the start, I think the "Christian values" eminent in old-school wrestling is dying out somewhat, even though the pro-religious attitude remains. I think a rule of thumb might be that: if a wrestler has never indicated their religious beliefs openly, it is a fair shout that they may be atheist.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.