Wrestling Forum banner

Wrestler with the most overrated matches?

7573 61
Which wrestler do you think has the most overrated matches?

My pick is Shawn Michaels.

The 2011 Hall of Fame inductee is highly praised for his matches with Bret Hart, Kurt Angle, HHH, Undertaker, Chris Jericho, and others - but 95% of those matches are overrated!

Some were either too long (Vs HHH Hell in a Cell).

Some relied too much on near falls (Vs Undertaker Wrestlemania),

Some were just plain ordinary (Vs Jericho and Vs Flair Wrestlemania).

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
6,181 Posts
Shawn is far more consistent and a greater storyteller than Angle. He got better matches out of Angle than Benoit did, which speaks volumes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Shawn is far more consistent and a greater storyteller than Angle. He got better matches out of Angle than Benoit did, which speaks volumes.
I have to disagree there. I think Benoit's match with Angle at The Royal Rumble in 2003 was one of the best WWE matches ever. I really enjoyed Shawn's matches with Angle in 2005, but that 2003 match is almost untouchable. It was a masterpiece.

·
Banned
266 Posts
Shawn Michaels.Ever since his return,he was rapidly deteriorationg in every way.I never saw a wrestler fade away like that,it was like something was sucking the life out of him.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I don't know whether Shawn Michaels is overrated or not but he most certainly is the best WWE-styled wrestler in history. And, it's Shawn's "less popular non-WrestleMania matches" against Benoit (Raw 05/03/04), Hunter (Raw 12/29/03), Orton (Survivor Series '07), and Davey Boy Smith (KOTR '96) that warrant his position as one of the all time greats.

Some of his matches are overrated, or they're simply not as great as they are mirrored: Jeff Jarrett @ IYH6, SummerSlam 1995 Ladder Match, Mind Games 1996, and John Cena @ WrestleMania 23. While the latter three matches are excellent, they're no classics. The JJ match was outright poor and didn't have any flow whatsoever.

It depends. Almost every match will be overrated by a section, and underrated by another. But Shawn is Shawn--one of the best of all time. And, his lesser known matches make him greater than his popular matches.

Ummm, WrestleMania 21 and Royal Rumble 2003 are at par with each other. Both have a case as a legit 5-star match. The rest of the matches Angle and Michaels had ranges from underwhelming (Vengeance) to okay (Iron Man). The rest of the matches Angle and Benoit had ranges from beautiful (Unforgiven) to WTF!? (Cage match) to a sound match (WrestleMania X-Seven).

Not hitting at you, but Benoit revisionist theory is getting out of hands. Can't blame anybody but I hope people do realize that Benoit is the greatest pure wrestler of all time.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
All of Flair's supposedly great matches bored me to shit.

ive always liked flair, but this.

for a LONG time if you saw one flair match, you seen em all...flip over the turnbuckle, get caught on the way down, beg for mercy then eye poke, strut, figure four reversed, a few chops, face first flop....
practically no variation at all. compare that to say morrison (and im not a morrison fan) in which you see soemthing new practically every match.

he occasionally had great matches when he was with a great performer (savage or micheals) but otherwise it was hogan levels of formulaic.

i should add, that imho, all the surrounding things make a match enjoyable as much as the in ring performance - good characters, build up, storyline, etc.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I dont' agree here. I do like Shawn a lot and I don't agree that his matches are overrated.However, In big match situation Shawn usually delivers great, but in many matches his wrestling is pretty lame! He often botches and his selling is some times so absurd that he makes himself look like a joke - something you don't usually see from guys like Angle or Benoit. That's why I said when motivated !

But I guess it's a matter of personal taste. I mean, I can agree for example that Bryan Danielson is a great wrestler, but for some reason I just can't get behind the guy and I don't find any of his matches exciting!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
im not saying of all time but orton straight away springs to mind.his match with benoit at summerslam 04 was ok at best and his match with the undertaker at wm 21 was poor with a decent finish but both are widely regarded as great matches by alot of people,the mind boggles.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.