Wrestling Forum banner

WRESTLER vs BOXER - WHO WOULD WIN IN A LEGITIMATE, NON-WORKED MATCH?

• WRESTLER

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • BOXER

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being new here, I don't know if this topic has been discussed. If so, I apologize for beating a dead horse.

In any case, who do you believe would win in a legitimate, non-scripted match between a pro-wrestler and a pro-boxer? I am aware of a few of these in the past. In 1959 Nature Boy Buddy Rogers fought Jersey Joe Walcott twice in Canada in mixed matches. Both matches were worked and Jersey Joe lost both times. I believe Jersey Joe also lost two worked mixed matches to Lou Thesz that were also held in Canada.

In the 1970s Muhammed Ali fought Japanese wrestler Antonio Inoki in a mixed match in Tokyo. From what I understand the match was supposed to be worked, but ended up being for real because Ali refused to lose. Who knows? In any case, it turned into a real stinker with Inoki crawling around for 15 rounds on his back while kicking Ali. If the match was not scripted it proved nothing except that the fans wanted their money back!

- Mike

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
It depends on the people involved.At Wrestlemania 24,it looked so ridiculous to see Floyd Mayweather beat Big Show.I convinced my friend to watch that match.He got pissed off at Mayweather winning and said Big Show could knock Floyd out in less than a minute.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The traditional school of thought is that a wrestler has the advantage because all he has to do is to take the boxer off his feet and into the ground.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
If it's a boxer who is wild and will go for the knockout right away you got to go with him.

If it's a boxer who needs 6-7 rounds to get close to a knockout you have to go with a wrestler. Longer it lasts better it is for the wrestler.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Obviously the Boxer if we're just talking about a normal pro wrestler who's got little to no genuine combat experience

but obviously Lesnar, Angle, Shamrock, Swagger etc. would beat most boxers

·
I clearly felt the tap
4,487 Posts
It depends on the guys involved. The likes of Angle would destroy most boxers.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
If the wrestler is dumb enough to want to trade a punch with the boxer he'll go down like Silvia did to Ray Mercer. Otherwise he'll win the fight with ease. Depends on the individuals as well. Not every wrestler knows how to fight.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,196 Posts
Happens all the time in MMA usually the grappler and judo guys win, but sometimes a puncher scores a kockout.

I think there were several other Boxer vs Wrestler matches in the territories, I know Joe Frazier was involved in a few. However these were always worked.

A little boxer/wrestler history tidbit...
Primo Carnera was a wrestler and boxing champion. He was who Max Baer (father of Max Baer Jr who would become Jethro from the Beverley Hillbillies) defeated for the title. Subsequently Baer was beaten by The Cinderella Man, James J Braddock.

OP Chuck Wepner also fought Andre

·
OG3
3,387 Posts
The Rock's dad Rocky Johnson started as a boxer. He was brought in to face Lawler in Memphis for a special Boxer vs Wrestler match.

I know its kayfabe but its still a cool story.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,196 Posts
The Rock's dad Rocky Johnson started as a boxer. He was brought in to face Lawler in Memphis for a special Boxer vs Wrestler match.

I know its kayfabe but its still a cool story.
I remember this well, it started a pretty long feud that was on and off again for the next five years or so.

Whenever Lawler would go heel in the late 70's and early 80's they would bring in Johnson.

Johnson actually beat Lawler for his crown at one point. I have some tapes from 1979 and they have allot of Johnson vs Lawler.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pro Wrestler or Amateur Wrestler?

Kurt Angle, Bob Backlund, Bad News Brown (although his discipline was in judo), the Steiner Brothers probably could defeat a boxer. Depends if they could take the boxer to the ground before the boxer got a hit in.

Hulk Hogan & John Cena would be destroyed in five seconds by a boxer.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,319 Posts
Heath Slater is a former Golden Gloves boxer. I'd love to see a modern-day Brawl for All where "The One Man Band" knocked out Cena or Orton. They'd feed him to the lions at Wrestlemania.
I'd say that the old timers who were legitimate could pull it off: Harley Race, Lou Thesz, Bruno, Verne Gagne etc.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Finlay > anyone.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
A boxer if he was smart he'd get within punching distance and not stop till the fight was over.

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,725 Posts
Pro wrestler would probably lose. Boxer would only have to keep hitting him and if that boxer has good defense, he'd either knock out the wrestler or the fight would need to be stopped. An amateur wrestler would probably have a better chance at beating a boxer once they were able to take the boxer down.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
That was in a "boxing" match though. It's an entirely different story with kicks and wrestling.

MMA fighters would get humiliated by most boxers in a boxing match. If you don't have the training you're not going to compete. Most boxers can't fight on the ground or defense kicks. So in a MMA ring it's reversed.

Most pro wrestlers would be smart enough to take a boxer to the ground.

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
Pit a wrestler and a boxer with similar height, weight etc... and the wrestler would probably get knocked down with ease give or take their background. Boxer's are naturally trained to beat someone up. Pro wrestler's to some exent are not.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
If we're talking actual collegiate wrestling versus boxing, then I would have to say wrestling. Once that boxer is grabbed or taken to the ground, it's over.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts