Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday's Rewind (Hulk Hogan vs The Ultimate Warrior, WrestleMania VI) ---> Link

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
There were a couple of decent matches at Wrestlemania IX- this one and the Steiners vs Head Shrinkers. I like this match; it's pretty stiff, quite fast paced, some nice spots and some decent action all the way through. I didn't like the ending, though. One of the things that I dislike about Wrestlemania IX is the way that it is so overbooked. I'd rather have seen a clean ending on this match, regardless of which way the decision went.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Great match, and the commentary was excellent. Way better than today's toned down crappy commentary. I love Bobby Heenan, he is so ruthless. The commentators today are way to tame, even the heel ones.

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
Not a huge shawn fan or anything, but noone could take that gimmick as far as he did. Definitely a great match.

I don't think a guy shawns size will ever make as big of an impact as he did. Now its all big guys.
I disagree. We have more small guys than ever that are in or around the main event. WWE Champion is The Miz who is more or less the same size as Shawn. World Champ is Edge who is taller than Shawn but otherwise has a similar build. Then you have guys like C.M. Punk, Dolph Ziggler, John Morrison, Rey Mysterio and Daniel Bryan who are Shawn's size or smaller who are getting big pushes.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I disagree. We have more small guys than ever that are in or around the main event. WWE Champion is The Miz who is more or less the same size as Shawn. World Champ is Edge who is taller than Shawn but otherwise has a similar build. Then you have guys like C.M. Punk, Dolph Ziggler, John Morrison, Rey Mysterio and Daniel Bryan who are Shawn's size or smaller who are getting big pushes.
yeah i agree those guys are around the main event or upper mid card, but shawn is small, and is at the top or near the top of most peoples best ever in the wwe list.
I think those guys can make an impact, but for a small guy like shawn to go down as possibly the best ever is unique. Those guys are a similar size and stuff, but shawn was the top guy of wwf for a while, none of them has a claim like that with cena/batista/hhh around and stuff.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I remember watching WrestleMania 9 live on Sky Sports in 1993 at 11 years old and even then i knew what a horrible WrestleMania i was watching after buying the videos for WrestleMania 7 and WrestleMania 8 but of the whole card there were two matches that really stood out for me and that i really enjoyed. Those matches were The Steiner Brothers and The Headshrinkers as i had been a fan of The Steiner Brothers for years due to me being more a of NWA/WCW fan than WWE in the early 90's and also Shawn Michaels and Tatanka.

Because i used to love The Rockers as a tag team i instantly liked Shawn Michaels even though he was a heel and after his win over Tito Santana at WrestleMania 8, which still to this day is one of my favorite PPV's of all time, i really started to get behind Shawn Michaels especially after he beat The British Bulldog for the Intercontinental title and then his first ever PPV main event match against Bret Hart at Survivor Series. The match againsy Tatanka was just another example of how underrated Shawn Michaels was until his match at WrestleMania 10 with Razor Ramon as i saw that he was producing the best matches of the night almost every time he wrestled.

As a whole year i think that Shawn Michaels had the best year of anyone on the roster at that time in 1993 despite only wrestling for just over half of the year as his matches with Tatanka, Marty Jannetty and Mr Perfect were the standout matches from a match quality perspective of tha year. It is a shame that WWE didn't pull the trigger on Shawn Michaels sooner than they did because by mid 1992 i would say that only Bret Hart, Randy Savage and Ric Flair were better all round than Shawn Michaels was and by early 1993 Randy Savage and Ric Flair were not in ring characters anymore and Shawn Michaels was the best heel in the company by SummerSlam 1993 but i guess him getting suspended played a major part on him not getting the push sooner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts