Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Shooting the birds down from the trees
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of the recent 18 second D Bryan Sheamus debacle, can you think of some wrestlemania matches that whilst look great on paper, failed to live up to the hype?
Personally one that immediately springs to my mind is the lesnar/Goldberg Travesty of Wrestlemania xx but I'm sure people can name plenty of others.

·
Registered
21,660 Posts
Goldberg-Lesnar
Undertaker-Gonzalez
Sheamus-Bryan

off the top of my head.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
indeed Lesnar / Goldberg and HHH/Orton.
The HH/Orton could steal the show, but was a trainwreck in the end. They made Orton such a badguy only to loose again to HHH.

I didn't care for the 18 seconds, match because of the two preformers.

·
THE ONE.
5,323 Posts
Goldberg/Lesnar
Cena/Miz
Orton/HHH
Cena/JBL

I've seen some mentioned above and while the matches weren't great they weren't really hyped, I mean Bryan/Sheamus opened the show it wasn't a important match unlike the ones above were all essentially main event selling matches.

·
Shooting the birds down from the trees
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cena vs Rock.

Truth shoot. u mad?
Yeah I guess it's hard to live up to something that was built up for a year and got billed as the greatest match of all time.. I don't think the match itself was THAT bad though.. probably didn't help that it followed the hhh vs undertaker match either, which was easily the best match of the night IMO.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Lesnar/Goldberg pretty much defines this. Orton/HHH too. It wasn't horrible, but it really should've been No-DQ, and Orton should've won.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Yeah I guess it's hard to live up to something that was built up for a year and got billed as the greatest match of all time.. I don't think the match itself was THAT bad though.. probably didn't help that it followed the hhh vs undertaker match either, which was easily the best match of the night IMO.
It was equivalent to a match on Superstars, to me. I try to think "what if the match was done the exact same with JTG and Kidd?" or something.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
John Cena vs The Miz turned out to be a bit of a letdown because of the awful ending. While I was pleased that The Miz won, The Rock's participation in the match was dreadfully booked and made no sense - kayfabe or otherwise. Why would he restart the match, only to end it with a Rock Bottom a couple of seconds later? Pointless. I know that they wanted The Rock involved in the ending but there were much better ways of getting him to ringside for the ending. How about having him as commentator? Or guest referee? Or 'special inforcer'. There were plenty of ways to book an ending that would've made sense but they failed, in my opinion.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Cena/Miz.
- The Rock ruined the ending.

Triple H/Randy Orton -
- Just bad.

CM Punk/Chris Jericho -
- 2 good wrestlers but they just didn't do any thing memorible in there match

Undertaker/Triple H -
- Sure, it was a great match but they said "END OF AN ERA" It was just the same as the last 3 or 4 years. There should have been blood, on top of the cage, people falling off and being made famous..

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Undertaker/Triple H -
- Sure, it was a great match but they said "END OF AN ERA" It was just the same as the last 3 or 4 years. There should have been blood, on top of the cage, people falling off and being made famous..
Or, you know, they could do the thing that's made them both what they are. Do a match based on storytelling, not lucha style, not shoot style, not brawl style, not old-school style, and definitely not hardcore style.

·
Banned
254 Posts
Cena vs the Rock. I see matches 3x better then that one on average PWG house shows.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Cena/Miz.
- The Rock ruined the ending.

Triple H/Randy Orton -
- Just bad.

CM Punk/Chris Jericho -
- 2 good wrestlers but they just didn't do any thing memorible in there match

Undertaker/Triple H -
Cena ruined the match by being so half assed.

I agree with the Punk/Jericho match

Taker/HHH lived up to the hype and there's no way in hell people especially guys in their 40's are falling off the new Cell that's higher than the old one. You wanted some super hero movie shit and that's just unrealistic.

It was equivalent to a match on Superstars, to me. I try to think "what if the match was done the exact same with JTG and Kidd?" or something.
You think Rock/Cena was the equivalent of a superstars match:confused: This is why the IEC gets such a bad rap, it wasn't the greatest but it was damn entertaining and the Wrestlemania crowd made it feel epic.

·
Banned
882 Posts
Rock vs. Cena
HHH vs. Orton
Jericho vs. Edge
Hogan vs. Sid

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
You think Rock/Cena was the equivalent of a superstars match:confused: This is why the IEC gets such a bad rap, it wasn't the greatest but it was damn entertaining and the Wrestlemania crowd made it feel epic.

Well, I tried to explain if you view it solely for the wrestling then it was a very average match.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
HHH V Orton and Lesnar V Goldberg is so obvious.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lesnar v. Goldberg is undeniably #1 here :lmao

But just to add a less-obvious candidate, the fatal 4-way between Show, Foley, Rock, and Triple H at WM2000 was a pretty big swing and a miss for me personally.

Hogan v. Sycho Sid @ WMVIII was terrible in every sense of the word.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Jericho vs. HHH - WM 18 (putting it as main event after Hogan/Rock backfired spectacularly)

Goldberg vs. Lesnar - WM 20

Eddie vs. Rey - WM 21 (people were excited for this one, hoping for a classic like from Halloween Havoc 97 but it didn't happen)

Orton vs. HHH - WM 25

Jericho vs. Edge - WM 26 (the Extreme Rules Cage match the next month was only a slight improvement too)

Rock vs. Cena - WM 28 (overshadowed by the superb HHH/Taker match, and now Lesnar/Cena the next month)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.