Wrestling Forum banner

Wrestlemania main events....

2438 Views 24 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  K phabe
What are some matches in the past that should of been the main event at Wrestlemania in your opinion?

Wrestlemania 16-Triple H vs. The Rock-Fuck all that fatal four way crap, your biggest face takes on your biggest heel on the grandest stage of them all.

Wrestlemania 18 part 1- Hulk Hogan vs Stone Cold-This just had to happen, although Rock wasn't a bad substitute at all.

Wrestlemania 18 part 2-The Rock vs Triple H vs Chris Jericho-Jericho/Rock feud comes to a conclusion, and you can intertwined Triple H in this by having Jericho and Steph have an affair while he was gone the past 8 months.

Wrestlemania 22- Rey Mysterio vs Kurt Angle-We all know Rey won due to Eddie's death, the least they could have done is make it one on one.

Wrestlemania 24- Randy Orton vs John Cena- I love Trips, but that should have been one on one.

Wrestlemania 25-Edge vs Triple H and John Cena vs Batista-A rather fresh feud between Edge and Triple H, and you end your show with the two biggest stars in the post attitude era.
Reactions: redban
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Mamba Mentality
25,255 Posts
I agree with Edge vs. Triple H at WrestleMania 25 but I would have had Orton vs. Cena as the main event. They should have ran with the story of Orton holding the company hostage and Cena (being the company man that he is) would come and try to save the day. I would have put Orton over at Mania and let him reign all the way to Breaking Point where Cena/Orton would have the "I Quit." Goodness, can you imagine Orton being a bigger star right now if they would have ran with this? He would have naturally turned face eventually too.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with Edge vs. Triple H at WrestleMania 25 but I would have had Orton vs. Cena as the main event. They should have ran with the story of Orton holding the company hostage and Cena (being the company man that he is) would come and try to save the day. I would have put Orton over at Mania and let him reign all the way to Breaking Point where Cena/Orton would have the "I Quit." Goodness, can you imagine Orton being a bigger star right now if they would have ran with this? He would have naturally turned face eventually too.
The only reason I didn't do Orton/Cena because IMO that match should have happened the year prior, Batista vs Cena would have been more fresh.

· The Winds of Change
5,604 Posts
Wrestlemania 2000
WWF Championship
Triple H(c) vs. The Rock
Winner: Triple H

This is the the main event that we should have seen. Triple H could have still gone over, because I firmly believe that him retaining at Mania that year cemented his position as the top heel in the company. The same thing that happened at Backlash could have happened anyway and nothing would have really changed for the rest of the year.

Wrestlemania XIX - part 1
WWE Championship
Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle(c)
Winner: Kurt Angle

Their match at Royal Rumble 2003 was incredible and they could have put that same match on at Wrestlemania.

Wrestlemania XIX - part 2
World Heavyweight Championship
Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H(c) (w. Ric Flair)
Winner: Brock Lesnar

What the main event should have been. Would have been much better than Booker/Triple H, and I think would have been bigger than Lesnar/Angle. Lesnar and Angle had great matches, but the Wrestlemania one wasn't the greatest.

Wrestlemania XX
World Heavyweight Championship
Chris Benoit vs. Triple H(c) (w. Ric Flair)
Winner: Chris Benoit

A big heel vs face matchup. Triple H could have said that Benoit failed to win the title against Angle the year before and could never win the big one. Benoit still wins the Royal Rumble. Chris Benoit wins his first World Title. Chris and Eddie still celebrate together after the match.

Wrestlemania 21
WWE Championship
John Cena vs. Kurt Angle(c)
Winner: John Cena

John Cena should have won his first World Title off of Kurt Angle, not JBL. WM 21 marked the next 2 big stars in Cena and Batista being crowned. It should have been Angle and Triple H putting both Cena and Batista over, not JBL and Triple H.

Wrestlemania 22
World Heavyweight Championship Match
Kurt Angle(c) vs. Undertaker
Winner: Undertaker

This is a match up we should have seen at some Wrestlemania, even if not at this one. It could have even been the same exact match they had at No Way Out that year. Undertaker wins the belt and keeps the streak going. Angle would have been a very suitable opponent for The Streak. Undertaker had won the WWF Title in the same arena at a Wrestlemania 9 years before.

· Registered
6,706 Posts
I agree with plenty of the choices already listed.

Here's some of mine (That haven't been mentioned):

1) Wrestlemania 22

Edge (c) vs John Cena

When Edge won the belt at New Years Revolution, he should not had lost it just 3 weeks later.

He should had kept the belt, and the match with Cena should had been stalled until Mania'.

Cena wins clean and gets a Wrestlemania moment.

2) Wrestlemania X7
Stone Cold vs HHH (c)

Yes - a very shocking choice. But Rock and Austin had almost no storyline; it was done simply because they were both big stars. HHH ran Austin over and was the biggest heel in the company.

Have the same match as they did at No Way Out 01', except Austin wins and runs over HHH with a car at the end. The Texas crowd would had loved it.

3) Wrestlemania 17

Rock vs Undertaker

Face vs Face match.

Have Rock end the streak.

4) Wrestlemania 9
Hulk Hogan (c) vs Bret Hart

This Mania' saw Bret lose to Yokozuna only for Hogan to win it from Yokuzuno after!

Just let Hogan fight Bret Hart 1 on 1.

Match ends with Hogan tapping out clean and passing the torch.

5) Wrestlemania 25
Jeff Hardy vs Edge (c)
TLC Match

This would had been a fresh main-event because it had no Cena, HHH, Undertaker, Batista, or Orton.

Let Hardy win the Rumble, beat Edge, and get the whole confetti / fireworks celebration to close the show.

6) Wrestlemania 27
Edge (c) vs Christian

Yes - I know. Mania' 27 still hasn't happened yet, but I feel Edge vs Christian 1 on 1 would be superior to Edge vs Del Rio or Edge vs Christian vs Del Rio.

· Registered
1,931 Posts
WrestleMania XX Shawn Michaels vs The Rock. They were both on the card and Rock's match with Foley vs Evolution isn't really memorable. HBK vs The Great One would have been a dream come true at MSG on the grandest stage. I don't really care what the storyline would have been because the promos between the two would be great if they were feuding over a shampoo endorsement. And the match would have been a classic no doubt...

· Registered
6,706 Posts
I don't agree with Wrestlemania 22, Triple H is a bigger star the Edge, Cena making Triple H tap out would have been bigger then him going over Edge cleanly.
When Edge won the title, I vividly remember ratings being at its highest in about 5 years.

Edge vs Cena would had been bigger than HHH vs Cena.

It also had the superior story-line: Cena was the big rap star with strong ethics; Edge was the cowardly rock&roll guy with the whore girlfriend.

And remember how the fans started cheering Cena when he feuded with Edge. Once HHH stepped in, Cena started getting booed again.

Shows who the better heel is.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When Edge won the title, I vividly remember ratings being at its highest in about 5 years.

Edge vs Cena would had been bigger than HHH vs Cena.

It also had the superior story-line: Cena was the big rap star with strong ethics; Edge was the cowardly rock&roll guy with the whore girlfriend.

And remember how the fans started cheering Cena when he feuded with Edge. Once HHH stepped in, Cena started getting booed again.

Shows who the better heel is.
No, it wouldn't. Edge vs Cena at Wrestlemania would have been forgotten, it wouldn't be as memorable as Triple H vs Cena. Triple H is a far bigger star then Edge ever was and Cena going over him cleanly was bigger for his career then him gong over Edge.

· Registered
6,706 Posts
No, it wouldn't. Edge vs Cena at Wrestlemania would have been forgotten, it wouldn't be as memorable as Triple H vs Cena. Triple H is a far bigger star then Edge ever was and Cena going over him cleanly was bigger for his career then him gong over Edge.
I already covered these points.

"1.) HHH is a bigger star:"

Edge was pulling in the biggest ratings in 5 years. At that time, it's feasible that he was bigger than HHH.

2) Edge vs Cena would have been forgotten:

Edge/ Cena have more chemistry than HHH / Cena because of the contrasting gimmicks.

A heel champion vs face challenger is what Wrestlemania is made for. A tweener challenger vs face champion is not.

The feud would had elevated both Edge and Cena.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I already covered these points.

"1.) HHH is a bigger star:"

Edge was pulling in the biggest ratings in 5 years. At that time, it's feasible that he was bigger than HHH.

2) Edge vs Cena would have been forgotten:

Edge/ Cena have more chemistry than HHH / Cena because of the contrasting gimmicks.

A heel champion vs face challenger is what Wrestlemania is made for. A tweener challenger vs face champion is not.

The feud would had elevated both Edge and Cena.
1. The only reason the ratings were high was because he beat Cena for the belt, if Angle or Michaels etc had done that, the ratings would be just as high. I guarantee the buyrates for Wrestlemania 22 would be lower with Cena vs Edge as the main event then instead of HHH vs Cena. Triple H is the bigger star and the more known name amongst the casuals, it just a better matchup business wise.

2. So what? The Rock has better chemistry with Jericho then he does with Hogan, but which match to the general public remember more?

3. The feud may have helped Edge, but it wouldn't have done anything for Cena. Cena had beating everyone on Raw but Triple H, who for the better or worst was the centerpiece of Raw. By maing him tap out, along with holding the strap for a year made him more then ever "the guy". Having Cena lose to Edge, then beat him for the title at Mania does nothing for him. Cena's Wrestlemania moments are beating the two clique guys back to back.

· Registered
6,706 Posts
You're overrating Cena's win over HHH; it didn't help him as much as you're thinking.

By 2006, HHH had already lost to Batista and Benoit at back-to-back Manias'.

When Cena did it, it wasn't so special.

Edge vs Cena would had been the better choice.

· The Winds of Change
5,604 Posts
You're overrating Cena's win over HHH; it didn't help him as much as you're thinking.

By 2006, HHH had already lost to Batista and Benoit at back-to-back Manias'.

When Cena did it, it wasn't so special.

Edge vs Cena would had been the better choice.
I don't know...I am going to have to disagree with you on this. Cena making Triple H tap out at Wrestlemania was huge for Cena. I don't think people really would have given a shit if Cena made Edge tap out because Edge was always booked as a chicken shit heel. Triple H on the other hand was the type of heel that was so dominant all the time, that being forced to tap out was a big deal as was seen 2 years earlier when Benoit did it. Only this time it was the new poster boy of WWE doing it.

I think what made Cena's WM 22 match against Triple H even more important in hindsight, is his WM 23 match against HBK. Making HBK tap out really put over Cena in an even bigger way because he successfully defended the WWE Championships at back to back Wrestlemanias by making both legends tap out.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know...I am going to have to disagree with you on this. Cena making Triple H tap out at Wrestlemania was huge for Cena. I don't think people really would have given a shit if Cena made Edge tap out because Edge was always booked as a chicken shit heel. Triple H on the other hand was the type of heel that was so dominant all the time, that being forced to tap out was a big deal as was seen 2 years earlier when Benoit did it. Only this time it was the new poster boy of WWE doing it.

I think what made Cena's WM 22 match against Triple H even more important in hindsight, is his WM 23 match against HBK. Making HBK tap out really put over Cena in an even bigger way because he successfully defended the WWE Championships at back to back Wrestlemanias by making both legends tap out.
Exactly, Triple H had dominated Raw since 2002, Cena making him and Shawn tap out is his Wrestlemania moment, he wouldn't have gotten this fighting a guy like Edge.

· Registered
73 Posts

Truth.

· Registered
1,928 Posts
WrestleMania XXV

Triple Main Event:

World Heavyweight Championship: Batista vs. John Cena - Forget about the match at SummerSlam 2008, let them finally have their first match ever at WrestleMania XXV. Batista wins the WHC in early '09 and defends against Cena. It could go either way.

Grudge match: Triple H vs. Randy Orton - Same story, no titles, no dq. Imagine a card so big where HBK/UT and HHH/Orton are in the undercard.

WWE Title: Edge (c) vs. Jeff Hardy
Really play up their differences. For the WWE title to be in the undercard and Hardy finally challenging and winning would have been cool, forget about his win at Armageddon '08.

WrestleMania XXIV

Or you could have done it here, too: Cena/Batista for the first time would have been perfect in 2008 and then HHH/Orton as a grudge match.

WrestleMania 23

Der. Batista vs. Undertaker should have gone on last. And give them five more minutes, too.

WrestleMania 21

Triple H vs. Randy Orton. The intended main event, but WWE screwed up Orton and had to shift focus on Batista. It worked out very well, but it still would have been interesting to see how this "dream" match came to pass if they had actually built it up.

Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar. Had Lesnar stayed, this would have been the perfect time for Lesnar to over like a Muthafucka. I also would have had him win at WM XX.

WrestleMania X8

Booker T vs. Triple H - Booker was the face of WCW and one of the top heels in the invasion. HHH was the homegrown star making his triumphant return. Booker could afford to lose at WM, Jericho couldn't. Build Booker up well, turn him heel, and have him defend, and lose, the the undisputed title at WM X8.

· Broski of the Week
6,881 Posts
WrestleMania 13 - The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels (if he wasn't hurt)

WrestleMania 16 - Triple H vs. The Rock

WrestleMania 18 - Triple H vs. Stone Cold (title), McMahon vs. Hogan, Rock vs. Jericho

WrestleMania 19 - Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit

WrestleMania 20 - Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels

WrestleMania 21 - John Cena vs. Kurt Angle

WrestleMania 24 - Randy Orton vs. John Cena

WrestleMania 25 - Edge vs. Jeff Hardy

· Banned
6,072 Posts
I'd have gone with Edge vs. Orton and HHH vs. Cena.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.