Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is WM brand really that big like how WWE kept saying it is? What are the views of non fans of wrestling on WM? Do they threat it like a joke and something not cool to be part of? Or they threat it like how this comic-con as part of part culture nowadays.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The WM brand has been dead since 34 and Saudi come out of retirement PPVS

I remember Wm 34 I went for a jog for an hour thats how bored I was

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
It does attract fans from all over the world, and every other indy wrestling organization around will do events in whatever the host city is to take advantage of the large volume of fans being there. There is no comparing it to the SuperBowl though. I will say Vince has always been very good at promoting and marketing so unlike back in the old days cities do bid on hosting it now because they know they will be getting a large influx of business into their city. I would say non-fans probably have no idea it is even happening in their city except by the possible increase in road traffic. It was cool back in the late 90's/early 2000's when wrestling was actually cool to admit you were a fan of. It was definitely part of the culture back then when RAW or Nitro would sell out the Georgia Dome let alone WM. Nowadays, eh...I lived in two different cities at the time WM was in them and I never even noticed it apart from some billboards and advertisements on the sides of buses.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Not Mania, but Summerslam and Survivor Series has happened in my city recently. Honestly you wouldn't even know it was happening other than the odd radio spot and billboard here and there. That being said they were both completely sold out and tickets were going for a pretty penny from scalpers.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Increasing Wrestlemania’s length seems to have been one of the contributing factors decreasing prestige IMO.

But event lengths have recently been shortened, so this year’s WM might be shortened too.

However, I’d probably point to a single moment when Wrestlemania ceased to be represented as the most important thing in the world.

That moment was the finish at Wrestlemania 34.

Vince had a 3-year storyline culminating in the main event, but with Saudi Arabia one month away, he delayed the finish and repeated he match for the Saudi’s, and then again in future PPVs.

Has WM ever had a non-finish that didn’t at least lead to next year’s WM?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Yes it is. Like pro wrestling in general it isn't as popular as it use to be but most people have heard of it. If you ask a regular person on the street if they know anything about wrestling they will probably at least name drop it.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,524 Posts
WrestleMania is a valuable commodity. Even non-fans have at least heard of it, though most don't know when or where it's happening in a given year. Comparisons to the Super Bowl are silly, but I'd put it on par with something like the World Series or the NBA Finals.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wrestlemania is the biggest, most well known, wrestling event.

I am a big college basketball fan. So I have always been into the tournament around that time. Final Four on Saturday, Championship on Monday. I have friends that also like March Madness, but if they are WWE fans, they always talk or post on social media about Wrestlemania. They liked WWE growing up, their kids like it now, and Wrestlemania is a time they get to share that.

As far as what hurts Wrestlemania... I think the stars aren't as good as they used to be and WWE isn't either. But what I don't understand, is why after these huge matches on Sunday where they almost kill each other for a belt or to get a pin... they come out and wrestle the following night and undo many of those stories. I mean, I understand from business, people at the arena and at home watching want to see the top talent on Raw. But I never liked the watch the screen to see what happened last night moments and see people who should have the night off go at it again.

I imagine if you ask a wrestler, "at which PPV do you want to win a belt or not drop one?" They'd answer WM.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Its prestige has waned in recent years when they started treating it like any other PPV in terms of how they construct the card.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts