Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Re: Wrestlemania 9: The Craziest event ever?

Yep, definitely crazy. No stand out matches or in ring performances, and synonymous for the finish of Hogan winning the world title and the way he did so, Undertaker VS Giant Gonzalez and the whole "World's Largest Toga Party" theme being so royally bad they're constantly brought up as worst parts of Wrestlemania, ever.

I remember it fondly though, even though it's bad it has that nostalgic feel a lot of the poor 1990s shows have. I distinctively remember the 2 Doinks, Jimmy Hart turning against Money Inc. and siding with The Mega Maniacs, and the commentators talking about the Chloroform from ringside, saying how they could smell it. (In fact, that may have been an Undertaker/Mankind match warped in my memory.)

It was a strange time for WWE though, with steroid and sex scandals either taking their toll already or about to almost destroy the fed, as well as the fans turning against certain things, meant things were changing, and this is what we got. Nothing except the Tag Titles, World Title and 'Taker/Gonzalez felt PPV worthy, let alone Wrestlemania. Probably the worst Wrestlemania overall.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
the only match I liked on that card...well 2...HBK/Tatanka and Luger/Perfect. Everything else sucked aside from JR

·
Registered
542 Posts
the only match I liked on that card...well 2...HBK/Tatanka and Luger/Perfect. Everything else sucked aside from JR
Steiner Brothers vs Headshrinkers was good, too. Don't forget that! Wrestlemania IX was pretty shit, though, considering who they had available. A better card would've been: Razor Ramon/Hulk Hogan; Randy Savage/Bret Hart; Yokozuna/Undertaker; Lex Luger/Tatanka; Shawn Michaels/Mr. Perfect; Steiner Brothers/Money Inc; Bam-Bam Bigelow/Crush. Right?

That said, I think we can all agree that the 'craziest event ever' was back in 1984, when the Sumerian deity Gozer the Gozerian (also known as Gozer the Destructor, Volguus Zildrohar, Gozer the Traveler and Lord of the Sebouillia) manifested itself as a giant, lumbering paranormal monster and marched through New York City, wrecking up the place. Of course, me and my boys took care of the situation. Like I always say, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, no job is too big, no fee is too big ... who ya gonna call!?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
This was IMO the peak of their dark period, business may have been a little worse in 1995 but 1992-1994 was when the federal government was really on Vince bad. The problems in 1995 was more because of bad booking/characters.

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
Rewatched it on The Network. Good card going in, bad show due to poor booking and time constraints. I was 10 years old and in attendance at the time so I'm biased towards this show, but

Shawn Michaels Vs. Tatanka

Granted there were a little too many restholds, but I enjoyed this match. Too bad the ending was a cop out. Either Tatanka should've won the Intercontinental Championship or Shawn Michaels should've ended his streak.

Steiners Vs. Headshrinkers

This was the best match on the card. Great win for the brothers from Michigan.

Crush Vs. Doink

I hated the finish with the two Doinks ganging up on Crush, but my dad (not a wrestling fan) was laughing his ass off!

Bob Backlund Vs. Razor Ramon

It was a huge win for The Bad Guy to beat former WWF Champion Backlund in less than 4 minutes, but this should've been 10 minutes longer so they could put on a memorable match.

The Mega Maniacs Vs. Money Inc.

Hogan's return match after a year and the match ends in a disqualification win for Money Inc.? What a buzzkill. Him and Beefcake should've won the tag team titles.

Mr. Perfect Vs. The Narcissist

Good match with the heel pulling off the upset win, but they should've had 5 more minutes. Loved Luger's entrance with a group of hot women holding up the mirrors for him to pose in front of.

Giant Gonzales Vs. The Undertaker

Here I was thinking to myself back then "OMG! Look at the size of that guy! How on Earth is Undertaker going to beat him?" Now, this is arguably Undertaker's worst match at the event and there was no way he could lift Gonzales, but doing another DQ instead of Undertaker getting a pinfall win somehow was a bad call and is the only tarnish on The Streak. The only plus side: Undertaker's chariot entrance was sick. He had a vulture with him. A fucking...vulture!

Bret Hart Vs. Yokozuna

The ultimate middle finger. Instead of The Hitman getting his time to shine by retaining, Yokozuna wins the belt only for Hogan to come out and steal it from him 2 minutes later. Shame for the awful finish because Hart Vs. Yokozuna was actually a good main event and Bret getting the win by having Yokozuna submit to The Sharpshooter would've been amazing!

- Vic

1 - 13 of 13 Posts