Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that we know Tampa is getting the Granddaddy 2020, it's time to move on and look forward 2 years ahead again.

Important notes:
• The Raiders Stadium in Las Vegas is scheduled to be ready for the 2020 NFL season
• The Rams and Charges stadium in Los Angeles is scheduled to be prepared for the 2020 NFL season
• College Football National Championship will be in Miami
• Super Bowl 55 will be in Tampa
• Men's College Basketball Final Four and National Championship will be April 3-5 in Indianapolis
• Easter will be on April 4

Cities that unsuccessfully expressed interest in recent years to host WrestleMania:
• Columbus, OH
• Detroit, MI
• Indianapolis, IN
• Miami, FL
• Minneapolis, MN
• Philadelphia, PA
• Toronto, ON

COMPILATION OF MARKETS CURRENTLY BIDDING TO HOST WRESTLEMANIA.

MINNEAPOLIS FOR WM37 - http://m.startribune.com/index.php/who-s-in-the-suite-seats/478360243/

Who's in the suite seats at U.S. Bank Stadium?

Here’s a sample from the MSFA’s year-round report, with client and guest, affiliation and reason.

Baltimore Ravens game Oct. 22

Curt Hawkins & others, World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. Potential WrestleMania in 2020 or 2021.

[Note: there is no Vikings game scheduled for October 22, and they do not face the Ravens in the 2018 preseason or regular season. The Vikings host the Cardinals on 10/14 and the Saints on 10/28, and are hosted by the Jets at MetLife Stadium on 10/21.]

[Note: US Bank Stadium uploaded a video to its website in 2016 that mentioned future events to be hosted, including WrestleMania.]
LOS ANGELES FOR WM37 - http://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/22956778/wwe-story-wwe-attempt-fill-la-coliseum-wrestlemania-vii

“WrestleMania has changed a great deal over the past 30 years, and Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum general manager Joe Furin thinks it's time for the WWE to finally come back and host the event in the stadium McMahon dreamed of hosting a WrestleMania 30 years ago.

"I think it would be great to see WrestleMania 36 or 37 at the Coliseum," Furin said. "That's definitely a call we're going to make. I think I have to update the bid video, but the reasons remain the same. We've hosted every big event except for one, and it would be great to finally come full circle and check that box and host WrestleMania."

While the $2 billion Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park, which is slated to open August 2020 as the new home of the Los Angeles Rams and Chargers, will be in line to host WrestleMania one day, 2020 or 2021 may be the perfect time for the WWE to finally come back to the Coliseum. The stadium is currently undergoing a $270 million renovation that will be completed by 2019. The renovation will include replacing every seat in the stadium, installing new field and stadium lighting and building a new structure on the south side that will include suites, loge boxes, club seats, a new concourse and a press box.
https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-wwe-westlemania-20190408-story.html

The football stadium under construction in Inglewood, which will open in 2020 as the home of the Rams and Chargers, is the front-runner to host WrestleMania 37, according to multiple sources. City and stadium officials would like to use hosting it as a test run for Super Bowl LVI in 2022.
Brad Shepard (who broke the XFL scoop in December '17 and was the first to very strongly hint that Tampa got WM36) told me this:

"That LA report has zero basis... That is not even a serious conversation yet"

ORLANDO FOR WM39 OR WM41 - https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/04/12/wrestlemania-special-olympics-on-orange-countys.html

WWE is planning the host cities for the event between 2021 through 2025, but the best chance to land the event may be 2023 or 2025, based on the convention center's availability, Jason Siegel, CEO of the Central Florida Sports Commission, told county leaders at the April 9 meeting.
https://www.clickorlando.com/entertainment/county-leaders-seeking-1-million-to-bring-wrestlemania-back-to-central-florida

Orange County leaders decided Tuesday to move forward with a plan to spend $1 million in hopes of bringing Wrestlemania back to Central Florida.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Frontrunners are clearly LA or Vegas. If WWE wants to keep running the city that gets the Super Bowl one year later than I'd lean towards Los Angeles since they host the superbowl in 2022.

At that point the biggest question becomes if the WWE will keep everything centralized in Inglewood (LA Stadium for Mania, The Forum for HOF, NXT, Raw, Smackdown) or if does everything in Downtown except Mania (LA Stadium in Inglewood for Mania, HOF, NXT, Raw, Smackdown at Staples Center). The L.A. Live area already has Staples Center, the Convention Center, restaurants, bars, and tons of hotels (and still growing) but I know the Inglewood is trying to develop as much as of the Hollywood Park entertainment district that holds the stadium as quickly as possible

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Frontrunners are clearly LA or Vegas. If WWE wants to keep running the city that gets the Super Bowl one year later than I'd lean towards Los Angeles since they host the superbowl in 2022.

At that point the biggest question becomes if the WWE will keep everything centralized in Inglewood (LA Stadium for Mania, The Forum for HOF, NXT, Raw, Smackdown) or if does everything in Downtown except Mania (LA Stadium in Inglewood for Mania, HOF, NXT, Raw, Smackdown at Staples Center). The L.A. Live area already has Staples Center, the Convention Center, restaurants, bars, and tons of hotels (and still growing) but I know the Inglewood is trying to develop as much as of the Hollywood Park entertainment district that holds the stadium as quickly as possible
I think everything would be Downtown except Mania given the relationship WWE has had with the Staples Center over the past 10+ years.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
It's gotta be LA or Vegas right? Then whichever doesn't get it will get WM 38. Minneapolis is toast. 36 was the last chance they will ever have.

·
Spanish God
1,019 Posts
Im already going to Vegas this year for Double or Nothing, so I would prefer LA to change things up, never been. But do people think they will fill up a stadium in LA? its not really a sports kind of town, they barely attend the rams and chargers, both were great this year. And last time they were doing a stadium show in LA they had to move the event to an arena because of poor ticket sales, not the security reasons they claimed.

Nice thing about Tampa next year is my friends mom lives there, maybe I can get a free place to stay haha. I would love Minneapolis only for the fact I want to see that stadium, its looks amazing.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
en. But do people think they will fill up a stadium in LA? its not really a sports kind of town
Los Angeles is a huge sports town. Sure, Rams and Chargers attendance hasn't exactly been on par. However, the Dodgers have had top attendance in the MLB for years, and also in that town is one of the most prestigious and storied sports franchises of all time, the Lakers. 16 championships and have had many of the greatest to ever play basketball on that team. Names such as Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Jerry West, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Dennis Rodman, Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal, and most recently, LeBron James. the Staples Center is electric for that team almost every night.

·
Spanish God
1,019 Posts
Los Angeles is a huge sports town. Sure, Rams and Chargers attendance hasn't exactly been on par. However, the Dodgers have had top attendance in the MLB for years, and also in that town is one of the most prestigious and storied sports franchises of all time, the Lakers. 16 championships and have had many of the greatest to ever play basketball on that team. Names such as Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Jerry West, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Dennis Rodman, Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal, and most recently, LeBron James. the Staples Center is electric for that team almost every night.
yes, but the staples center holds what 20k,less for wrestling, big difference to filling up a 80-100k stadium. Actually read an article about it on ESPN, they couldn't do it for WM7 even though they would sell out the arena in town all the time, they thought there was more demand than there really was and ticket sales followed the pattern of the arena shows. They were actually lucky they didn't sell more tickets than the arena could hold, because that allowed them to change venues without having to deny anybody entry. They need locals to attend, not all the people will be traveling fans. That happened in NOLA last year actually, there were a lot of seats left, not a big enough local market to buy up those last tickets.

Just look at the last time it took place in LA, they had started doing stadium shows again in that era with the exception of cold weather cities without a dome like NYC and Chicago, but in LA they went with staples center not the coliseum.

·
Registered
600 Posts
yes, but the staples center holds what 20k,less for wrestling, big difference to filling up a 80-100k stadium. Actually read an article about it on ESPN, they couldn't do it for WM7 even though they would sell out the arena in town all the time, they thought there was more demand than there really was and ticket sales followed the pattern of the arena shows. They were actually lucky they didn't sell more tickets than the arena could hold, because that allowed them to change venues without having to deny anybody entry. They need locals to attend, not all the people will be traveling fans. That happened in NOLA last year actually, there were a lot of seats left, not a big enough local market to buy up those last tickets.

Just look at the last time it took place in LA, they had started doing stadium shows again in that era with the exception of cold weather cities without a dome like NYC and Chicago, but in LA they went with staples center not the coliseum.

Went to WM32, got this photo. If they can accomplish this in Dallas, they should be ok in LA.

Wrestlemania as a brand has changed a lot over the last 30+ years. The brand alone is worth millions. I think they’d do fine in LA. I’m from Texas and I’d def fly out to LA to see it. LA is like one of the biggest entertainment meccas in the word. Beautiful weather and a lot of things to do. I’d be down to go. Tbh I would be ok with them doing 37 in LA, 38 in Vegas, 39 in Atlanta, 40 in Dallas, 41 in Phoenix, 42 in Philly, 43 in Toronto, 44 in Houston, 45 in Orlando, 46 in Santa Clara, and 47 in New Orleans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

Your perception is skewed.

Wrestlemania brand has grown immensely since 1991. The name alone sells out the majority of the show months before a match has been announced. That wasn't the case in 1991 when the marquee matches sold the show. I'm not surprised a card headlined by Hogan vs Slaughter didn't manage to sell 90k. Second, the reason why Wrestlemania 21 wasn't held in a stadium is for the same reason they NFL didn't come return to Los Angeles for 21 years; there was no suitable stadium in the area to hold it. The coliseum and Rose Bowl were in no condition to hold it.

In regards to Los Angeles not supporting the Rams or Chargers , you have to keep in mind that the NFL was gone for 21 years. During that time people embraced other teams so you can't expect people to just drop the teams they've been aligned with for 21 years just because another team has moved in. With that said, the Rams attendance has gone up every season they've been in LA. Chargers were never wanted in LA and were only moved because their owner is greedy.

Finally, LA/Anaheim is the most visited area in United States so they should have no problem enticing more international WM visitors to take the trip. Add the L.A. population that continues sell out Pay Per Views at the Staples Center and theres no reason to believe that Wrestlemania would not sell incredibly well there.

·
Registered
708 Posts
No they didn't. Wrestlemania 22 was in All State Arena in Chicago. Wrestlemania 20 was in MSG before that.

WWE was never going to go to the Coliseum. Too old. With new NFL stadium though they are definitely going to LA.

·
Spanish God
1,019 Posts
No they didn't. Wrestlemania 22 was in All State Arena in Chicago. Wrestlemania 20 was in MSG before that.

WWE was never going to go to the Coliseum. Too old. With new NFL stadium though they are definitely going to LA.
Yes hence my point with the exception of cold weather cities without domes, aka NYC and Chicago. LA is the only other city since WM17 not held in a large stadium, and weather was not a factor. And they held it at a college staduim twice in Orlando without issue. They could've done the same at the coliseum or Rose bowl. All I'm saying is they likely had another reason for not holding it in a staduim for 21. And Vince's past experience with WM 7 might be why.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Yes hence my point with the exception of cold weather cities without domes, aka NYC and Chicago. LA is the only other city since WM17 not held in a large stadium, and weather was not a factor. And they held it at a college staduim twice in Orlando without issue. They could've done the same at the coliseum or Rose bowl. All I'm saying is they likely had another reason for not holding it in a staduim for 21. And Vince's past experience with WM 7 might be why.
You clearly haven't been to the Rose Bowl or Coliseum lately if you think either venue was suitable to hold Wrestlemania

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
But I have been to orlando, and they held it there twice, and that place was a piece of crap.
And that's because they were allowed to put in millions of dollars into renovations. Both the Coliseum and Rose Bowl have exclusive deals with USC and UCLA for maintenance and renovation and the only way they would have allowed WWE to renovate is if they did a full renovation which would have cost them $150 million dollars.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I get the many reasons why they are hesitant to do Minneapolis, but it would make it very easy for me to go to Mania if they would just do it in Minneapolis.
Will never happen my friend. WM 36 was our last hope.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts