Wrestling Forum banner

@WrestleChatNet: Report: One member of The Shield was almost fired by the.WWE

4637 Views 21 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  WhyTooJay
As surprising as it may be today, one of the members of The Shield was at one point close to being wished well in his future endeavors by WWE.

Last year, rumors circulated that all three members of the group - Dean Ambrose, Roman Reignsand Seth Rollins - had developed a degree of backstage heat that could hinder their progress in WWE. Like so many young wrestlers before them who were fast-tracked to WWE stardom, the trio was accused of developing egos and forgetting proper professional wrestling locker room etiquette.

Former WWE creative writer Court Bauer claimed on Live Audio Wrestling in July that various employees in the sports-entertainment organization had complained to him about the group “taking themselves and their gimmick too seriously.” The group, which debuted eight months prior at theSurvivor Series, was actually close to not coming into existence at all due to a similar mindset. Rob Naylor, who worked as a creative assistant for WWE’s NXT division from 2011 through 2013, recently revealed that a member of the group was on the bubble to be wished well in his future endeavors a few months prior to the angle coming to fruition due to management’s negative perception of the individual’s real-life character.

Outside of the ring, Rollins is considered an independent thinker who challenges the status quo, Ambrose can be taken the wrong way and Reigns has a history of personal issues (he was arrested in Florida on June 20, 2010 and charged with disorderly conduct and public intoxication). Naylor, however, does not believe there’s anything for Shield supporters to worry about.

“I can see why they were perceived that way. I saw Ambrose act kinda foolishly politically on occasion, but he had a ‘live by his own rules’ kind of mindset. He’s a rare renegade in a business that has become very saccharine and milquetoast, in my opinion. He’s a cavalier,” Naylor said in an interview.

“Rollins’ issues were simply that he didn’t always listen precisely to his coaches. He’d be told not to do a move… and then do it. He later would tell the younger talent to just bide your time and listen to what you are told, as once you get the spot you deserve, you’ll then have the opportunity for more in-ring latitude, so to speak.

“I know that while Rollins was in FCW and NXT, people felt at times he had ‘behavioral issues’. That was never the case in my estimation. Every coach on the staff was just as hungry at one time, so that was overblown. But he was on the bubble to be let go months prior to the Shield angle, based on the perception of some from the office.”

Thankfully, for all concerned, such drastic measures were avoided, and certainly the proof that this was the correct decision has been borne out in The Shield being a top-level attraction for WWE. The fact that they have also been endorsed by John Cena at recent live events indicates that the roster is equally grateful to have The Shield ready and willing to carry some of the load.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Banned
1,681 Posts
These indy hacks think rhat WWE is the indyz and can make it big with shitty attitude.

· Banned
3,127 Posts
“I can see why they were perceived that way. I saw Ambrose act kinda foolishly politically on occasion, but he had a ‘live by his own rules’ kind of mindset. He’s a rare renegade in a business that has become very saccharine and milquetoast, in my opinion. He’s a cavalier,” Naylor said in an interview.
The fuck? I don't feel so stupid as I feel he was trying to look smart since I've never even seen either of those words before.

· Registered
627 Posts
The Shield have been a welcome addition to the roster, think about how bland the show would be without them , Bryan having all those phenomenal matches with them in six mans or his singles matches with seth rollins in the summer, The amazing tlc match in 2012. I am so glad this one worked out in the end and it was a smart way to get three new faces on the roster.

· Registered
761 Posts
If anyone of them should've been released it's Reigns. The most useless of the bunch. All he's good for is getting the females to pop.

· Banned
1,681 Posts
Reigns is going to be the most successful membre of the Shield. #DEALWITHIT mark!

· Registered
9,282 Posts
The fuck? I don't feel so stupid as I feel he was trying to look smart since I've never even seen either of those words before.
saccharine is a generic form of sugar, but unlike sugar it's pretty bland and sucks. if you're labeled as saccharine you are bland.

milquetoast is an old saying which is a combination of milk and toast. milquetoast. and when you put toast in milk it becomes soggy and limp, therefore if someone called you milquetoast they were implying you were weak and 'soggy'. in 1800's new York gang culture that meant knives or blackjacks were drawn and a fight was about to start.

· Registered
479 Posts
:lol Rollins was the least I expected coming in to this thread. Dude has babyface written all over him not to mention he does look like a decent guy

I thought it was Reigns since you know, Rock's cousin, being billed as the next top dog, lineage so I thought that all got into his head and inflated his ego

Perhaps Reigns got his cousin's humility too :rock :reigns

· Lurking. Always lurking.
6,090 Posts
That one sentence, "various people had complained about them taking the group and their gimmick too seriously" (sorry for the shoddy parafrase), is a major part of what's wrong with the wwe product today. That mentality of "if you're sticking your head out from amongst the weeds, you're overdoing it". The Shield shouldn't tone it down, YOU should be stepping it up. /fpalm

· Registered
15,017 Posts
Reading interviews by the three Shield members today, you can see a backstage power faction forming. They all talk like they plan to stick together backstage and look out for each other and the overall faction. First step in this is to save your money like crazy right now you have financial independence so that you can believeably threaten to walk away and ultimately do it if you have to.

· Registered
4,438 Posts
I knew it'd be Rollins before even reading. He had built quite a nice career for himself on the Indy scene, and the NXT hierarchy (as well as Triple H, IMO, based on that Grantland interview) hates anyone who knows that they already know the answers, and don't conform to what they want.

This whole NXT thing is bad news ultimately. I've felt that way from the start. If someone comes out of there not being a pretty little robot, it wasn't by design. They want you to conform heavily.

· Premium Member
2,012 Posts
Reading interviews by the three Shield members today, you can see a backstage power faction forming. They all talk like they plan to stick together backstage and look out for each other and the overall faction. First step in this is to save your money like crazy right now you have financial independence so that you can believeably threaten to walk away and ultimately do it if you have to.
Yeah exactly, it doesn't feel too far-fetched to think they could be the next Kliq type group themselves to where they've developed a very good offstage friendship and hopefully end up sticking together throughout and beyond their tenures, just like guys like Triple H, HBK and Diesel did.

· Locker Room Leader
15,176 Posts
Knew it would be Rollins. He himself says how he and the other guys had a chip on their shoulder since Day 1. Well maybe not Reigns since he was new to this, though there were rumors last year of him getting into a verbal altercation with Randy.

But yeah, Rollins and Ambrose, Rollins especially, had won the top title everywhere he's fought so I can imagine him having a mild CM Punk-ish streak in him when he arrived in FCW. He seems to be very intense and competitive outside the ring, while Ambrose seems a bit more laid back and goofy in nature.

· Registered
86 Posts
About Rollins doing moves of his choice - He can do whatever he wants to do in the ring till it is botch-free and good. If He did moves told by the WWE, he would be doing just some suplexes, and he also doesn't utilize the full set of his moves!! Ahh.... the Lionsault/Standing Shooting Star Press combo or...or the Superplex/F5 combo!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.