Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think what you want of Bischoff and Hogan, but the January 4th 2010 episode of Impact has to be up there with the infamous "riot episode" as one of the greatest Impacts to date.

There was such a great feel of spontaneity - anything really could, and did, happen. Jeff Hardy appearing out of nowhere, amusing links, none of the current, stale, "this time it's REALLY personal" feuds that Impact seems to have descended into. Every single segment seemed to be exciting and worth watching.

My point is this: After BFG, there are a few contracts expiring, and there are free agents aplenty, most of whom nobody would dream of bringing into Impact. How would people feel about a massive spring clean, letting all the current storylines taper off to BFG, and then booking a live Impact the following week with a crap load of surprises and new storylines.

I'd love to just see one more Impact like the one on January 4th....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Uh, no. The 4th January was a huge, gigantic, titanic failure and a tragic waste of opportunity. It doesn't matter it did a 1.45 rating : it cost actually TNA a lot of money, because it led to the move to monday night.

They had a lot of surprises in the bag, but they did nothing with them. I won't even talk at length about the writing failures of the show : the mingboggling Terrordome disaster, Hardy doing essentially nothing (the hottest act in mainstream wrestling attacking Homicide, uh, really ?), a random KO title change in a 2 minutes match, two completely OTT spotfests (KO tag and AJ/Angle) where selling, storytelling and logic were thrown out of the window, a bunch of matches advertised that never occured, a 30 secs tag squash, strip poker skits, the Nasty Boys, Hogan speaking for 15 mins and doing absolutely nothing (Dutch Mantell was right in saying that Hogan needed to face a threat for his debut; Abyss could have been used this way)...

But enough of this, many, many things have been written about this already. To sum it up, they had an occasion to build something starting with a bang, and they did their usual hotshot bullshit show to spike a one night rating. You want a reason why march 8th did 1.0 and why the move to monday failed ? Look no further than January 4th. They kept the exact same attitude of throwing carelessly everything against the wall.

·
The Dynasty
473 Posts
Yeah... And we also saw Val Venis(lol) and The Nasty Boys(lol) get a job. As many good things Hogan and Bischoff brought to TNA, there has been just as many bad things.

·
StarStruck
2,038 Posts
If it included a peice of Trash named Val Venis coming on and it leading to Christopher Daniels JOBBING to said Trash on PPV, Nah, thanks. I like where TNA is going at the moment, They're doing well pushing Roode =D

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hogan and Bischoff have actually benefited the company more than people think and eventhough the arrival of the Nasty boys and Val Venus were disasterious to say the least. They were only there for a month or two so at least they learnt from their mistakes

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Hogan and Bischoff have actually benefited the company more than people think and eventhough the arrival of the Nasty boys and Val Venus were disasterious to say the least. They were only there for a month or two so at least they learnt from their mistakes
I will knock you on your opinion but i just do not see really how Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff have benefitted TNA in any way at all, if anything 2011 has been the worst year i can remember for TNA and after last year i really didn't see me saying that. I don't like jumping on the bandwagons that the majority of people often do on these forums but simply put Hulk Hogan needs to leave TNA for the good of the company because his star power is now fully diminished and doesn't draw ratings and he and Eric Bischoff should never be the main focus of Impact.

Right now the main problems is Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff take up way too much tv time every week on Impact and Vince Russo is still working without any kind of filter thus meaning all of his ideas are ending up on television every week and PPV's once a month. It wasn't that long ago that TNA looked as if it finally clicked with them and they did the storyline between The Main Event Mafia and The Frontline which was supposed to make stars of AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Frankie Kazarian, The Motor City Machine Guns, Christopher Daniels, Matt Morgan, Bobby Roode and James Storm but it then got twisted with Sting, Kurt Angle, Mick Foley, Booker T, Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner and Jeff Jarrett before Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff then came in as well.

The problem is that Vince Russo has no alternative to stables taking over the company storylines dating all the way back to The Ministry Of Darkness in 1999 through WCW and into TNA in 2011 and Eric Bischoff although apparently not being part of the creative team is still in the same boat as that was his forte in WCW as well. Between Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, Vince Russo and especially Dixie Carter we are seeing TNA go further and further backwards and away from WWE despite now spending much more money than before and eventually there is only so many times it can be the wrestlers fault for not drawing or not being good enough in the ring.

There has to come a point where Bob Carter looks at everything and sees what the majority of other people can see from a neutral standpoint and that is these four people are not doing what they were expected to do in their roles and that a major change is needed, i don't mean changing the logos and giving it a tagline of "Wrestling Matters" either. Simply put Hulk Hogan doesn't draw anymore so is pointless and not needed, Eric Bischoff is doing ok with production but is trying to make it too real, Vince Russo couldn't book a bunk up in a brothel and Dixie Carter has no idea on what she is doing so simply surrounds herself with more people from a a couple of decades ago who are out of touch in the hope one out of the ten may have a decent idea.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
If Hogan left would I watch another reboot. Yes I would. Anyone on here that watches wrestling and says they would tune in out of curiousity if a huge reboot was planned is either lying or not the brightest. Thats the truth.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I dunno guys, that night was quite memorable. And not for all the wrong reasons.
Ric Flair stepping out that limo. Didn't aj and angle have one of their classic matches? As a wrestling fan I just got that feeling that I was part of a revolution in wrestling. And even though it didn't turn out that way, i don't think i'd been so hyped for wrestling in general for a good decade or so. As i've said before, that episode tried to cater for too many audiences and it has continued that way ever since.
Not to mention on Jan 4th the crowd in the impact zone was actually hot for once.
Hogan needs his marching orders... but I can tolerate Bischoff.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The January 4th Impact was one of the worst televised wrestling shows in history and I don't think it's very significant to this discussion.

Yes, I'd watch a reboot. There isn't much that could be worse than what they are doing now.
What was bad about it?

·
Banned
623 Posts
I will knock you on your opinion but i just do not see really how Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff have benefitted TNA in any way at all, if anything 2011 has been the worst year i can remember for TNA and after last year i really didn't see me saying that. I don't like jumping on the bandwagons that the majority of people often do on these forums but simply put Hulk Hogan needs to leave TNA for the good of the company because his star power is now fully diminished and doesn't draw ratings and he and Eric Bischoff should never be the main focus of Impact.

Right now the main problems is Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff take up way too much tv time every week on Impact and Vince Russo is still working without any kind of filter thus meaning all of his ideas are ending up on television every week and PPV's once a month. It wasn't that long ago that TNA looked as if it finally clicked with them and they did the storyline between The Main Event Mafia and The Frontline which was supposed to make stars of AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Frankie Kazarian, The Motor City Machine Guns, Christopher Daniels, Matt Morgan, Bobby Roode and James Storm but it then got twisted with Sting, Kurt Angle, Mick Foley, Booker T, Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner and Jeff Jarrett before Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff then came in as well.

The problem is that Vince Russo has no alternative to stables taking over the company storylines dating all the way back to The Ministry Of Darkness in 1999 through WCW and into TNA in 2011 and Eric Bischoff although apparently not being part of the creative team is still in the same boat as that was his forte in WCW as well. Between Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, Vince Russo and especially Dixie Carter we are seeing TNA go further and further backwards and away from WWE despite now spending much more money than before and eventually there is only so many times it can be the wrestlers fault for not drawing or not being good enough in the ring.

There has to come a point where Bob Carter looks at everything and sees what the majority of other people can see from a neutral standpoint and that is these four people are not doing what they were expected to do in their roles and that a major change is needed, i don't mean changing the logos and giving it a tagline of "Wrestling Matters" either. Simply put Hulk Hogan doesn't draw anymore so is pointless and not needed, Eric Bischoff is doing ok with production but is trying to make it too real, Vince Russo couldn't book a bunk up in a brothel and Dixie Carter has no idea on what she is doing so simply surrounds herself with more people from a a couple of decades ago who are out of touch in the hope one out of the ten may have a decent idea.
Simply put Hulk Hogan doesn't draw anymore

Really^^^ Hogan selling 10,000 tickets to a ppv says others wise. Hogan is a huge draw, look out side of wrestling and his name is still very over. Hell on DWTS when asked if having Hogan on the show would be good over 76% of the fans voted yes. None wrestling fans voting for hogan proves your claims wrong. Bischoff is doing great things for tna and onyl a blind mark would say otherwise imo.

·
Banned
623 Posts
Simple. If Hogan, Bischoff, and Russo are still there, then I'm out.
Seeing that you are from houston I hoped you would be smarter then that via about not wanting Bischoff in TNA. Bischoff has done a lot of good for tna as he did with any other promotion he has worked for. Putting Russo in lines with Bischoff is down right retarded imo.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
i watch it anyways

1 - 17 of 17 Posts