Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don’t want to see any promotion burn. I just fast forward through the things I don’t want to watch. No promotion is going to be perfect but I like what AEW is doing and what SD and NXT are doing right now.
Sometimes I wonder if WWE RAW knows what or who they are.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Nope. I'll never go back to the WWE. I picked my spot a long time ago after years of disrespect to the viewers, I have enough of them, I turned the page.

That being said, I'm about to go the same way with AEW. I was pretty hopeful of them, finally having a real opposition. The angles between Cody and MJF and the promo by the Snake I was like wow the sky is the limit of what these guys may be able to accomplish. But in the last few months I think I have des-enchanted about this company. The too long way to get to storylines, he Jericho-OC thing, Cody having trouble getting past Warrior codplay and Sonny Kiss then having a shorty with Scorpion Sky. The too long matches and spotfests, too many multi men tag matches. Four guys feuding over a guy's mother's car. Now there's like 10 groups, fucking ridiculous. Feels like AEW has become Vince-like stubborn. They will continue doing what they want to do no matter what even if it sucks.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
I would love for them both to succeed because the most exciting time in wrestling was when WCW/WWF were head to head so there were talent swaps from time to time which made it exciting for the fan.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I find it weird that any wrestling fan would want to see a promotion “burn and crash.” If you are a real fan, you would want every company to thrive and grow. That means more jobs and options for the wrestlers, and more enjoyment for us as fans.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
So people are totally convinced that AEW is far superior to WWE in every way. I always find this opinion laughable. No sense in answering this question.

·
Registered
911 Posts
AEW's easier to digest because it's only 2-3 hours per week and they aren't intentionally trying bury the non jobber talent. WWE is WAY too oversaturated and lacking stars to keep me around for long. If Vince retired and Raw and SmackDown dropped to an hour and NXT returned to being a developmental territory. Then I'd watch full time but still watch AEW.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thread title is worthless since being better than aew means fuck all. But whatever. Would I watch wwe again if they were good?

Hypothetically, yes. Realistically, they will remain complete garbage for the foreseeable future.

Even 10 years ago, when the product was already beyond atrocious, nobody thought they would ever be doing the shameful and pitiful numbers they are now. If they had it in them to "flip the switch" and put on a respectable product, they would have done so a long time ago. Just listening to anyone whos left the company will confirm they are hopelessly clueless from top to bottom. This horse shit is the best theyve got.

And anyone who legitimately thinks wwe will never die is a clown. They have nothing to stand on besides shitty network deals that wont be there next time around when they are doing a quarter million in ratings. The general public would not bat an eye if wwe went under tomorrow. They are nowhere near as big as you think they are. I dont think I know anyone in person who would genuinely give a fuck or even mention it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Thread title is worthless since being better than aew means fuck all. But whatever. Would I watch wwe again if they were good?

Hypothetically, yes. Realistically, they will remain complete garbage for the foreseeable future.

Even 10 years ago, when the product was already beyond atrocious, nobody thought they would ever be doing the shameful and pitiful numbers they are now. If they had it in them to "flip the switch" and put on a respectable product, they would have done so a long time ago. Just listening to anyone whos left the company will confirm they are hopelessly clueless from top to bottom. This horse shit is the best theyve got.

And anyone who legitimately thinks wwe will never die is a clown. They have nothing to stand on besides shitty network deals that wont be there next time around when they are doing a quarter million in ratings. The general public would not bat an eye if wwe went under tomorrow. They are nowhere near as big as you think they are. I dont think I know anyone in person who would genuinely give a fuck or even mention it.
I don't think they'll die while Vince and his son in law are still alive. They have nothing else in their lives but WWE and would probably fund it out their own pockets. The way I see it is that WWE 2020 is TNA 2010 with a better budget. WWE 2030 will be Impact Wrestling of 2020. Still alive yet very irrelevant.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I support AEW because I find it to be the most entertaining wrestling product by far, even with its flaws, which I'm betting on AEW to fix them eventually.

Im certain theres nothing they can do to get my interest back. Even the good ideas they ocassionaly have(Roman Reigns heel) are not enough to get me to sit through 2/3 hours of their shows. The way the wrestlers are presented nowadays, the scripted cheesy promos, their repetitive matches are things that just doesnt work for me anymore as I grew out of them.

I'm sincerely thankful for all the memories WWE provided me over the years and in my childhood but I would definitely quit wrestling if AEW stopped working for me.

Theres really no reason to watch WWE when AEW provides the same format of a show plus the excitement to it that WWE already lost
The direction is astoundingly over the top, cliched, and outright unwatchable on WWE. The amount of intercutting is absurd. Take a sequence where a wrestler stands over a prone opponent and punches them five consecutive times. Each punch will switch to a different angle. Back and forth. It’s nauseating.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I don't think they'll die while Vince and his son in law are still alive. They have nothing else in their lives but WWE and would probably fund it out their own pockets. The way I see it is that WWE 2020 is TNA 2010 with a better budget. WWE 2030 will be Impact Wrestling of 2020. Still alive yet very irrelevant.
WWE is General Motors in 1978. A colossus with poor quality product, beset by layers of decision makers and holding fast to decades of tradition (I.e. “why do we have to do this?” “Because that’s the way we do it here. That’s how we got to where we are and nothing will change”). A place where creativity has largely been driven off.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
A place where creativity has largely been driven off.
That's mainstream wrestling in general though. It's not like AEW is setting the world on fire with their creative genius. Two guys just had a blood feud with two other guys over their mums minivan.

ANYONE can write that. Here, this can be AEW's next feud:

Chris Jericho and Jake Hager break a valuable porcelain ornament belonging to Sonny Kiss' great grandmother upon visiting them. Jericho tries to apologise but Sonny is having none of it and enlists the help of Jelly Nutella to help get revenge on Jericho because Jericho did it on purpose. Hager laughs at the smashed ornament but Jericho tells him to knock it off because he genuinely feels bad.

We then have a match on PPV, Jericho refuses to fight because he genuinely feels bad and hands off an envelope of money addressed to Sonny's great grandmama and leaves. Nutella and Kiss beat Hager clean in the middle as Jericho embraces both men afterwards proclaiming that he never wanted to upset anyones grandma because he isn't about that life.

This will turn up on Be The Elite in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can I just say that I miss the PG-13 WWE? The Mick Foley Era? The ECW Era? It's been like 2 yrs since I've watched WWE. I might catch a clip here or there but I just can't seem to get back into it. It was My Dad who orginally got me Hooked onto wwe. Ever since 1991 (When I was born) up until 2018 I watched it. That And he did his own Side shows. My dad. In Kentucky. He went by the name Of PurpleHaze.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's mainstream wrestling in general though. It's not like AEW is setting the world on fire with their creative genius. Two guys just had a blood feud with two other guys over their mums minivan.

Chris Jericho and Jake Hager break a valuable porcelain ornament belonging to Sonny Kiss' great grandmother upon visiting them. Jericho tries to apologise but Sonny is having none of it and enlists the help of Jelly Nutella to help get revenge on Jericho because Jericho did it on purpose. Hager laughs at the smashed ornament but Jericho tells him to knock it off because he genuinely feels bad.

We then have a match on PPV, Jericho refuses to fight because he genuinely feels bad and hands off an envelope of money addressed to Sonny's great grandmama and leaves. Nutella and Kiss beat Hager clean in the middle as Jericho embraces both men afterwards proclaiming that he never wanted to upset anyones grandma because he isn't about that life.

Wow, Jericho went from being the baddest Man in WWE, And when u put THAT into A Feud Script, Makes him seem the opposite. Idk...

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Oh

I’m not saying AEW is blazing radical new territory; rather they are taking existing tropes and executing them better. Whether they can be groundbreaking remains to be seen. That will require a willingness on their part and TNT to go where a traditional wrestling show does not go. To universe build, so to speak. To permanently write off characters in dramatic fashion.

WWE is so disappointing because they have the least creative innovation, yet have the largest budget to play with. Couple that with 37 years of pop culture lore and there are many, fascinating storylines that could be executed. For example, there was the funny picture that surfaced of a Daniel Bryan lookalike in a 1989 SNME. People joked that he was a time traveler. So why not do that as a story? It’s an extreme example, but it brings a sense of over the top elements that WWE lacks in its current quest to be UFC, but with controlled outcomes and some variety show elements. The scope of what they pursue is so narrow and basic...even more basic now than 20 years ago...that is what is so disappointing with them. It’s like having Nick Saban’s Alabama having the #1 recruiting class for ten years running, but having those teams go 6-6 each year.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts