Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
If you think about it, there is a million ways to watch what you like and not watch what you dislike

I didn’t stop watching RAW for instance all at once

it went from (over the course of a year)

• Watched the whole show live
  • DVR the show, watch later
  • DVR and forward the bits I hate
  • Stop DVR and watch Youtube 30min highlights
  • Forward the 30 min highlights
  • Stop watching the highlights and Watch ups and downs to see if there was something I missed and should look up
  • Stop watching (still keep an eye on the forum)
Anybody can stop along that route for any show and keep watching only what they like and avoid what they hate

it actually means there is nothing to moan about ever. We live in a blessed time where your watch habits can be 100% catered to - yet, people hate watch / its a weirdness I will never fully comprehend

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
What will get me to watch WWE again (not the whole show, never doing that to myself again)

• Daniel Bryan at the top of The card
  • Nakamura title reign
  • Okada debut
NJPW again:
  • Ibushi title reign
  • Shingo title reign
  • Ospreay title reign
ROH:
- .................. uhmmmm

MWL:
- well, I see they are coming back. I never watched them, but Pillman has made me interested to check out maybe one show. Maybe....

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
No. I already know what wrestling is like under a WWE monopoly. Post-Attitude Era, they have single handedly created the most boring age in wrestling history. And seeing the efforts made by WWE to make Roman Reigns and Becky Lynch be Cena clones once they reach the top has driven home to me that the system is broken in WWE. And I do not know if the system can be fixed anymore; that window may have already passed. Doing or watching literally anything else is a better use of my time than tuning in to WWE these days and has been the case for years. It was the case when TNA debuted on Spike, it was the case when I went off to focus on my studies in university (and I didn’t love all of my time there either), and it’s been more amplified over the past several years. Like @Firefromthegods says, WWE PG just does not resonate with me. A world without AEW would be worse though. I don’t want to go back.

At the same time, I’ve been seeing WWE burn for years; even that is dragging on and on and on. There isn’t as much joy on this front either anymore. As bad as it was for WCW to go under, at least it did not drag out for decades. It imploded and burned away rather quickly. Even TNA did not drag out burning to the ground like WWE has.

AEW does do its fair share of dumb stuff and questionable booking though, which is part of the reason why I’ve started to seek out lucha libre and RevPro as alternatives to watch. But AEW is nowhere near as dreadful to the degree of WWE. There is a reason the most interesting thing about AEW is in front of the camera, while the most interesting thing about WWE is what goes on behind the scenes.

·
Illegitimate child of Robert 'Glorious' Roode
899 Posts
I'd switch back if VKM dies. Not before because he's a megalomaniac cunt who has totally lost his marbles

·
Registered
943 Posts
I would like to think people wouldn't stick with aew in hope of wwe burning but because they just dont want to see wwe have such a stranglehold on the industry and able to shaft talent with their contracts because of the lack of options outside of wwe that could offer stability and a good income

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Man, I grew up watching WWE. I would love it if they put on a show I wanted to watch.

Until AEW started, I used to do a thing where I would randomly watch an episode of Raw. If I enjoyed myself, I would watch the next episode. I rarely made it to the third episode.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Watched WWE weekly from 1992 o 2001 and 2012 to October 2019.

I havent been able to watch it regularly for the past year because it has been quite frankly terrible and AEW provided an alternative for my wrestling fix.

I will say this, when WWE want to be, they can be the best, Randy Orton has been superb this year. But those moments are few and far between and its difficult to get invested in stories/wrestlers when Vince has shown time and time again he will pull the plug on a push at a moments notice.

AEW hasn't been perfect but they are only a year old and will get better, and it just feels more like a proper wrestling show, the aesthetic and lack of scripting make it much more watchable than WWE's over produced over scripted product.

I will watch any good wrestling show, for me at the moment AEW is the only one offering what I enjoy on a regular basis.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
New Question: What would it take for you to watch Raw or Smackdown again?

In my opinion, to improve the product and make it watchable for myself to watch (not sure if my ideas make financial sense):

Reduce the amount of wrestling:
Make Raw a 2-hour show
Make Smack-down a 1-hour show
Remove the brand split (they do not follow the split strictly enough and it makes it look like a joke)

Championships:
1 World Championship (WWE World Heavyweight Championship)
Remove the Universal Championship
1 Male Tag-Team Championship belts (unify the belts)
1 Female Tag-Team Championship belts
Keep both United States and Intercontinental
Remove 24/7 championship

Let every championship have a unique design, honestly why does every fucking belt look identical with a different color? It's lazy.

Currently, I don't give a shit about these belts, besides maybe the WWE Championship, they need to build credibility. Most of the belts are ugly, specifically the Universal Championship (kill it please).

Also, Build up the tag division

Less Scripted Promos
I mean c'mon, these promos are terrible and sound corny all the time. Please let these people talk freely. I guarantee if Roman Reigns could say what ever he wanted he'd be over asf.

Shitty finishes
Why is every single finish a disqualification? Every time I try to watch a WWE show they have a shit finish to the match and it turns me off the product immediately.

Stop ruining every single NXT Star
I swear to god, the amount of talent they have ruined over the past 5 years is honestly insane. It makes NXT feel pointless because you know that they will be sentenced to death on the "main roster"

PG
It's a show about fighting and it is PG? Like seriously, WWE is so soft. Where is the blood and violence. Nobody acts like they actually want to hurt each other, it just seems like a dance recital half the time because they are working in unison to perform a dance rather than having a brutal fight.

Over Production
There are to many LED and Lights that take away from the action. I do not think it is necessary for the ring post too have LED screens, nor the side of the rings.

·
Angry at refs
3,527 Posts
I don't wanna say I want WWE to burn. I want WWE to be better and not be corrupt as fuck, if WWE needs to burn in order to achieve that, then that's what happens. In the perfect world, Vince/whoever takes over would fix shit and actually make the product good, take care of the talent, and get rid of Dunn.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I started watching AEW as I was excited for a genuine alternative and something which would remind me of the better days of 20 years ago. I watched the first few episodes of Dynamite, started watching Dark and spent hours catching up with a backlog of BTE. It then became a chore to invest that amount of time in to watching it.

Dark was scrapped after a few episodes as it was literally full of nobodies that I had any interest in. Instead I started watching NWA, which was a revelation. I then stopped watching BTE, Dynamite then became hard to follow as a lot of background and storylines were played out on BTE. Flicking through random channels one night led to me discovering Impact again, I watched about half an hour and then thought wow AEW really is bad, I was just brainwashed in to thinking it was good. So I stopped watching AEW altogether and that was after about 15 episodes.

I haven't watched WWE fully for about 18 years, but the bits I have caught I've enjoyed. If there is a lot of buzz around something I will check it out. The bits and pieces I've seen lately are leaps and bounds ahead of AEW.

·
Registered
465 Posts
As mentioned, I don't wish to see WWE die. There are enough people that watch it and seemingly still enjoy it that wishing for it to die would be unwarranted self importance and belief that my enjoyment is more important than others which isn't the case.

That said, I'm not sure anything could bring me back at this point. Without being too melodramatic it slowly sucked the life out of any enjoyment I had for wrestling. I grew up watching WCW on Channel 5 as a kid with the occasional bit of WWF on Heat on Channel 4. I was around 9/10 when WWE purchased WCW and ran the Invasion angle. I absolutely loved it as a kid so switched from WCW to WWF, even though you can look back and see it wasn't the greatest. I really enjoyed the era after this too, I watched Smackdown more than Raw though with Guerrero/Angle/Benoit and Lesnar and the more workrate show in the early 2000's becoming my favourite show. My interest slowly started to wane towards 2008/09.

Punk brought me back in around Summer 2011. They totally botched the angle, and this is where my love/hate relationship with the WWE and wrestling started. They let me down more often than not, but I started watching again regularly because there were enough elements of the show I enjoyed. Punk and Bryan kept me engaged enough, alongside the Shield and the Wyatts up until 2013/2014. Punk leaves, Bryan retires, Wyatt starts getting jobbed out regularly. Shield breaks up and Roman begins his one man shield gimmick. I slowly feel my love of wrestling dying again, I carry on watching for a little while longer but eventually the schizophrenic booking destroys my love of wrestling for good. I think the final straw for me was the Wyatt/Orton match at Mania for the belt.

I never really watched the indies, AEW comes along and gets me more hyped than I've been in years. I go back and I watch their first show and their NJPW work. I find myself falling in love with wrestling again. I wasn't even really aware this world of indies wrestling existed.

And here I am a year later still mostly loving what AEW have done, and they've opened up my eyes to a world of wrestling I'd never seen before. I'm starting to get into MLW and NWA, watching little bits here and there online. So would I go back to WWE if they improved their booking or AEW died? I think I wouldn't personally. My days of watching WWE are over, I'd probably be done with wrestling rather than watching them again. I wish them well though.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I would watch anything if it was good/entertaining. But there's next to 0 reason to even watch right now.

2011-2013 we had CM Punk.
2013-2014 we had the rise of The Shield and Daniel Bryan's storyline.
2016 we had Kevin Owens and Jericho's friendship angle.

At least in those years there was always some sort of reason to watch even if the overall product still wasn't really that good. I quit being an active watcher in 2017 because it just got so bad.

And when I was an active watcher, I often remember being disappointed by ppv results and the shows in general. I haven't had that with AEW yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good post

I have not been able to watch WWE weekly since they moved to BT in England, I refuse to purchase even more for my tv bill. However, since then I have actually enjoyed watching the PPVs more maybe because I don't see the stupid stuff people talk about.

back to the question, I enjoy both so want success for both, competition makes you do better in my opinion. like a previous poster has mentioned if you don't like certain stuff just skip it on both shows.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I really hope WWE crashes and burns;

a) It has utterly failed to innovate wrestling on the whole, even as a monopoly. It simply doesn't have the capability to improve anymore. A large share of wrestling fans wouldn't miss it.
b) It is no where near a "too big to fail" company. From the ashes it would motivate new start ups to compete with another creating fresher product.
c) Following on from b) it actively seeks to destroy competition through contractually strangling wrestlers and partner companies, it counter programs others TV and live shows - it doesn't try and actually get better because it cannot.

It's nothing personal, but the extinction of WWE would be for the greater good.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'd go back to watching WWE regularly if it became entertaining again. Unfortunately it hasn't been entertaining for over a decade now with the odd exception. I still watch bits and pieces, but 3-hour Raws are pretty much unwatchable to me.

Even as a teenager in the Monday Night Wars, I watched both Raw and Nitro. A good WWE is good for the business, but as Raw's rating this week shows you, the WWE sucks right now. Considering their brand recognition, I'm not sure if they can reach a lower point than now.

IMO, AEW is a more entertaining product than WWE with more variety. I also find their characters more compelling simply because they aren't reading their promos off a piece of paper. I say all this from a completely objective viewpoint, not the tribal bias that many have on social media and the like.

AEW's growth will hopefully motivate WWE to remember what made it popular in the first place.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The McMahons just put me off. I don’t know if it’s real or perceived but they rub me the wrong way. Gives me a biased view against their product.
This is something I hadn't really considered in my post. I think this is probably one of if not the biggest factors in me not watching WWE. Vince McMahon is an utter scumbag, and I find it very hard to watch anything he's in charge of having recently watched a documentary on the way he handled the Owen Hart tragedy (worth watching dark side of the ring on youtube if you haven't seen it, heartbreaking stuff). That feeling only really started around the time of me stopping watching though so it's not the main reason for not watching. It's just the cherry on top and helps reaffirm my decision.

On top of that, the way he continues whoring himself out to countries like Saudi Arabia, taking their money, paying massive amounts to washed up stars and putting them over their current talent. The man does not want any stars these days, he's had his fingers burned and wants the company to be the star whilst pushing those he's infatuated with. Not realising it creates some of the most god awful 'entertainment' you'll ever see.

Basically, all in all. The man has little in the way of redeeming qualities, his shows are shite for the most part nowadays and he's a repugnant human being. Not much to like is there? I can't in good conscience put money into the hands of a man like that.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts