Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do people care about watching good wrestling? Or do they just want to watch WWE burn?

Obviously, WWE is not currently entertaining and feels too plastic, scripted and fake. I have always been interested in wrestling. However, I've always struggled to watch through an entire RAW or SMACKDOWN. I did not grow up during the attitude era and was only 1 year old when it ended, so I missed out on watching the "greatest era". I feel like I've never watched an outstanding wrestling show weekly.

Ever since 2015, I'd watch occasionally watch a RAW, Smackdown or watch their YouTube Clips. Hoping and praying, they would finally turn a leaf and produce a good show. However, they have not done anything that has piqued my interest. I thought maybe I did not like wrestling and there was something wrong with me? But I've since read numerous opinions that align with my thoughts.

Finally, AEW is born. Featuring wrestlers such as Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks, wrestlers I've been watching on YouTube and hoped would join WWE. Chris Jericho, a WWE legend, also would enter the new promotion. How exciting, since then I've been introduced to a range of new wrestlers such as; MJF, Hangman, Sammy Guevara and Lance Archer. Finally, I can watch wrestling weekly, and I have since it has begun watching every single show. Fantastic!!

However, AEW is FAR from perfect and do so much stupid shit that is starting to impact my enjoyment. They are plagued with bad wrestlers (I'm sure you know who I mean), questionable booking decisions (Orange Cassidy beating Jericho) and sometimes storytelling is a bit too slow (probably due to COVID). It is still, by far the best product I watch. However, it certainly can do with improvement in many areas, and I hope with experience, they will continue to improve and grow.

This brings me to my question:

Do you support AEW because you want to see WWE burn?
Or
Would you switch back to WWE if their product was better? And AEW was worse?

Obviously, I would like both products to be better and watchable. But I cannot help shake the feeling some people are blind to AEW's flaws and pretend it is perfect, whereas they call-out every WWE mistake.

I want both products to succeed and to be better.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
I have zero interest in seeing WWE burn

A strong WWE means a strong wrestling world - long may they reign

Will I go back to WWE if I fall out of love with AEW? Unlikely

I stopped watching WWE after they botched Bryan’s return and Nakamura on the main card. Just could not get invested anymore. Got interested in NJPW with Jericho’s match, got hooked in with BTE and that was it

Cody, Elite, Kenny, Okada, Ibushi had me hooked. And I watched NJPW until the Elite left - and I left with them (as I cannot stand Jay White, Naito etc - basically the guys handed the reigns again - although I did try)

So - I will most likely just stop watching again if AEW doesn’t do it for me - like I’ve done for 2 year Blocks at a time with WWE

In fact, this would have been a 2-3 year block For me if AEW didn’t come along - so happy days

people just wanting ‘WWE to be better’ or ‘WWE to burn’ needs to check Their priorities

PS> same sentiment goes for people that wishes the same things for AEW

·
Registered
12,429 Posts
I hope success for WWE, MLW, Impact, ROH, NWA and all the rest and it means jobs and money for the boys and girls. I'll never go back to WWE simply because I'm not willing or able to give it 7 hours a week of my time. Last WWE programming I watched with any regularity was largely stand alone NXT when it was a one hour show. I still read up on NXT on occasion and I'd probably dig a lot of the stuff, but it's two hours now and too intertwined with the other main shows. 7 hours a week plus monthly PPV's for another three hours and it's 52 weeks a year - no off-season.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
I really loved NXT during the Samoa Joe, Balor, Nakamura era

but fucking hell - there’s just so many times you can stomach seeing your faves get butt-fucked on the main roster until you realise that ‘this bank is not worth your investment’

.... and that is the short-story of how I stopped watching NXT :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
6,944 Posts
I hope AEW starts beating RAW as that is the only way Vince will actually shake things up and get better. WWE going away helps no one. Two major players helps everyone, especially the talent get paid better, and in theory should lead to better products. I was perfectly fine watching WWF, WCW, and ECW all at the same time back in the day so it will never be either or for me if I enjoy both.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I support AEW because I find it to be the most entertaining wrestling product by far, even with its flaws, which I'm betting on AEW to fix them eventually.

Im certain theres nothing they can do to get my interest back. Even the good ideas they ocassionaly have(Roman Reigns heel) are not enough to get me to sit through 2/3 hours of their shows. The way the wrestlers are presented nowadays, the scripted cheesy promos, their repetitive matches are things that just doesnt work for me anymore as I grew out of them.

I'm sincerely thankful for all the memories WWE provided me over the years and in my childhood but I would definitely quit wrestling if AEW stopped working for me.

Theres really no reason to watch WWE when AEW provides the same format of a show plus the excitement to it that WWE already lost

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Do people care about watching good wrestling? Or do they just want to watch WWE burn?

Do you support AEW because you want to see WWE burn?
Or
Would you switch back to WWE if their product was better? And AEW was worse?

Obviously, I would like both products to be better and watchable. But I cannot help shake the feeling some people are blind to AEW's flaws and pretend it is perfect, whereas they call-out every WWE mistake.

I want both products to succeed and to be better.
It´s not a matter of one over the other. People need to stop the mentality of "If you´re not with us, you´re against us".
I watch both, like some of it, and dislike a lot. Calls out whatever I don´t like. In WWE, it´s Wyatt, Reigns, The Mysterios, Seth and other things. In AEW it´s how they hire their friends in All Friends Wrestling, Cody, Young Bucks, Brandi, Stunt and other things.
Just because I dislike some of it doesn´t mean I can´t enjoy the rest.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
WWE will never crash and burn. If that's what people are expecting they're in for a lot of disappointment. Even if they lost the income from Smackdown and NXT and only had the one TV show like AEW does they'd still be able to hold on for years and years due to their assets and the money they have.

AEW could sign every top star and RAW could be watched by 500,000 people in one country and it'd still last for decades just based on the assets it has that it can sell. Granted if all that happened it'd be a very different landscape but bankrupting the company? Not possible really.

WCW got close before WWE had all these assets. The network alone could keep the WWE in business.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
11,212 Posts
I watch both AEW and WWE regardless. NXT is not as good anymore, but it has been WWE's best brand for a while. RAW for me is more for genuine hilarity but even then I don't watch live every week. RAW is actually so inadequate and deficient of all creative effort that it's entertaining some of the time, and the live thread helps when it's active. Becky Lynch also helped TREMENDOUSLY. SD I can't stomach and never watch. I don't think I would ever switch back to watching all of WWE's shows live or in full even if they did better. Too much damage done to fix it at this point and it's hard to even care. They just turned Roman Reigns heel, one of the biggest turns in the last 10 years, and it doesn't feel anywhere as hyped as it should. Same old Roman just with Heyman now. The turn hasn't been good enough and he has no competition on SD. So what's the point?

I don't want them to die, definitely not, because I enjoy watching all wrestling, even though it's bad sometimes. And WWE is bad now but I can't forget all the entertainment they have provided over the years. The Attitude Era and Ruthless Aggression were both great. Grew up watching it all my life like most here. WWE still has their moments when they're entertaining. You just need to make sure you're not watching entire shows now and you'll be good. AEW has changed the game for me though. I love 95% of everything about their shows, even DARK most weeks. BTE is always great. Never thought I would be a genuine fan of wrestling at this level again.

I support AEW because they are making me fall in love with the sport again, not because I want WWE to burn. I'm invested in almost everyone on the roster, they make PPV's and World title matches feel important, they don't bury talent and hinder their success, they allow creative freedom in characters and on the mic, and their shows have a gritty no holds barred feel to them that makes it must-see every week. It feels big time. I haven't paid for an actual PPV since 2005 or 2006, WM21 I believe was the last one, and here I am today buying all of AEW's PPV's not caring about the $50 price point. AEW is my #1 company now, but I would never want WWE to NOT be there.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I don't really care about WWE anymore so whatever happens there is not gonna matter to me. I'm gonna go with the promotions that's giving me what I want in my wrestling And that right now is AEW and Impact so I'm gonna stick with those shows.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Once punk left I mostly watched NJPW/RoH, wherever AJ was and would read about what happened with Raw and Smackdown and basically didn’t acknowledge NXT. I came back to watching wwe when aj showed up and now I’m back to the point of just reading results online and tuning in every now and again. I feel like they’re too repetitive and I feel like I’ve seen the same matches over and over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If aew were to die id probably just stop watching wrestling to be honest. Not that there aren't good alternatives but I'm getting older. I don't really resonate with WWE pg anymore. I got into wrestling cause I'm socially awkward and loved the pageantry and spectacle of it all. But now with shit like covid forcing me to stay home and consume tv, I'm so bored by tv now that I'd rather just go out and get out of my hermitage.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
The wwe producr aint changing any time soon. Its continued to head down the bullshit path its own for 15 years and its worst then ever. I mean each to your ownand especially if you literally have nothing to compare it too. But someone was streaming raw on twitch and i clicked it for the first time in years and i was shocked how bad it was and how robotic the product felt. Watched for a minute and that was enough.

To answer your question yes I would watch them if the preduct was different but it aint

Reactions: BepBoopBop

·
Registered
121 Posts
AEW (and sometimes NJPW) are enough for me
i will not watch WWE even if these 2 companies disappeared
it's a matter of principle to me
the arrogance of the mcmahon family
the inhuman treatment of their slaves (aka wrestlers)
they keep saying that they are independent contractors but they control them like employees
the disgusting use of charity for marketing purposes, Stephanie McMahon said "philanthropy is the future of marketing"
even if vince dies and HHH took over
he's even worse
just think of how many wrestlers HHH and shawn michaels buried in the back
i can't forgive these things

but i don't care if WWE dies or not (although i can't deny that it would bring a smile to me face)
i prefer them to continue so AEW doesn't become complacent

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Don't want them to fail at all. I'm just totally against monopoly. Competition is always best for consumers. I just like to watch good wrestling. If WWE improves, it's better for the fans.

·
Premium Member
13,893 Posts
I share the same sentiments as everyone else here. Like Life said, it’s important that the WWE survives. Nobody should wish for it to die. Like Detroit said, having a thriving industry is important because it means more jobs. And like Chip said, WWE will never die anyway.

imagine a healthy industry which has a surplus of high class talent. An industry that makes money and is not monopolised. We’ve suffered with a mainstream monopoly for almost 20 years. It’s not good for us and it’s not good for talent.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts