Wrestling Forum banner

Would you say Mohammed Hassan was one of the greatest heels of all time?

4K views 55 replies 39 participants last post by  Krin 
#1 ·
I would say he is one of the most underrated and interesting of all time.

It's sad to think a character like this will never exist in wrestling again. They tried to make Jinder something of a Mohammed Hassan and it never really took off the same way for various reasons. Now, I don't think we will ever see a heel who can get this much hate in todays wrestling because society can't handle a gimmick like this. It's way too real, frightening and offensive to people.

#26 ·
Probably not one of the greatest of all time. However, he was the most over heel of the Ruthless Aggression era. He got Roman Reigns levels of hate heat from the audience when everyone else was getting crickets in comparison. That was going to catapult him to being the next big main event heel, but we all know what happened.

#6 ·
For how little time he was in the company he made a big impact and become a memorable heel because of that. He got good heat from the moment he debuted interrupting Mick Foley and carried that all through his run. He cut great promos. He had an undefeated streak for some time on the roster. He had matches with John Cena, Batista, a feud with The Undertaker and a match with Hulk Hogan on PPV - all within less than a year. His Royal Rumble elimination was one of the most noticeable over the last 20 years. I liked Hassan, he was one of my favourite guys from the Ruthless Aggression Era, but he was in WWE for too little time and he didn't win any titles so it's hard to make an argument that he was one of the greatest heels. However, he was a great heel for how little time he had in the company and ultimately he was wasted potential.

#12 ·
Now, I don't think we will ever see a heel who can get this much hate in todays wrestling because society can't handle a gimmick like this. It's way too real, frightening and offensive to people.
I mean, the gimmick was technically exploiting xenophobia following a terrorist attack where a lot of people died. It was less that the gimmick was too hard for wimpy people and more that it was in poor taste in a lot of ways.

#16 · (Edited)
Gonna upset some millennial fans but no, he wouldn't even make my top 20 he was very over rated by today's standards, hell I think he was over rated even back then. He got good heat it's true, anyone that is from another nationality and is a heel can get that pretty well with American audiences.

I am not sure where the love for Muhammad Hassan even comes from, I can only assume that most of the people that like Mohammad grew up around that time. For me he was a paint by number foreign heel, a more successful version of Tiger Ali Singh in my opinion.

Don't think I am ragging on him either, I liked Muhammad Hassan and I do wish he stayed longer, I just don't put him on the pedestal some of you people do. One of the better heels of 2005 sure. Of all time? No.

It's like making the case for Wade Barrett being one of the greatest heels of all time because he got a lot of heat in 2010

#22 ·
Now, I don't think we will ever see a heel who can get this much hate in todays wrestling because society can't handle a gimmick like this. It's way too real, frightening and offensive to people.
:lmao

You say this even though he was LITERALLY FIRED in mere weeks because society couldn't handle the gimmick back then.

But no, anything to push the bullshit "people are more sensitive than ever" narrative.

It's not like there are way more portrayals of terrorism and Islamic extremism in popular movies/television today than there was back then. No way, right? I can name like 5 popular shows or movies about Islamic extremism off the top of my head. But people are so easily offended nowadays right

:eyeroll

You people are amazing sometimes

#28 ·
You can't really be a foreign heel without exploiting people. It's part of the nature of it. I still say he's brilliant and the posts here saying he was a cut and dry foreign heel are just false. The character was much deeper that. As a ring worker, he's average but his character was unique.

#34 · (Edited)
This isn't an "easy" gimmick to play. You'd have to be willing to be legitimately hated and some people wanting to hurt you. Also he was living the gimmick so that means traveling in airports with the headdress. He was incredibly devoted to his character and most of his promos were his real words, not scripted.

...so I disagree that anyone could do this gimmick. It takes a certain personality do be able to do a gimmick this offensive and do it well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.