Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With his former tag partner, Steve Austin, becoming a mega-face shortly after his death, do you think they could have revisited their rivalry and pulled Pillman up to ME status as a heel? Would you say he had all the tools or was he too small to be credible? Could you see Brian Pillman vs. Stone Cold or Undertaker headlining a PPV in 1998?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I think he could've been an effective heel foil for the main event faces as and when required, but I couldn't see him as a permanent main event fixture back at that time. I think he'd have been more likely to succeed in this era actually, where it not for his personal problems.

·
Asuka
96,571 Posts
I never really got into Pillman, but "main event potential" is kind of an oxymoron. The only relevant qualification to be in the main event, despite what all of us may look for in a wrestler, is being over, and WWE has proven that if they get behind you, they can get anybody over. They turned Randy Orton into the #2 face of Raw and he's a walking Sominex for fucks sake. Pillman had charisma, they could've done it with him if they wanted to I guess.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
Hell yes, Pillman was the total package and his gimmick was awesome for the Attitude Era.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
I think Pillman did have main event potential but not world champion potential, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I look at it as the same as Owen Hart, before their death I didnt see either as main event worthy, yet looking back I can see that both had the presence and talent to do so.

Someone mentioned Brian as a Piper type character, tremendous comparison i say, well done.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I think Pillman did have main event potential but not world champion potential, if that makes sense.
I think things have changed somewhat in this respect. In the 1980s and 1990s, I think that people could main event but not be considered good enough for the title, as you say. But nowadays it seems as if people may be given a world title reign, but not be considered hot enough to consistently main event.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
IMO,Pillman would have played a huge role in the 98 - 99 attitude era years.
Infact,I think he would have taken on the role Mick Foley played in joining forces with McMahon against Austin before turning babyface.He could talk,he had a good physique and good looks - he also had a character tailor made for the era.I can imagine Russo being big on him and friend Steve Austin surely wouldn't let him linger in the mid card; drug issues,as well as a limited workrate,didn't really matter at time either.

However,he wouldn't last long: the gruelling schedule would probably have forced him out,like it did Austin,by the end of 1999.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
I definately think if given the time and push, he could have been up there too. He was way ahead of his time.

Austin even admitted that all his promo ability is due to him and his teaching, and that Phillman would on the road carry a pocket sized thesaurus around with him and read it everywhere they went and traveled to imrpove his vocabulary in promos.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Would you risk it and give the world title to a guy as nuts (and talented at the same time) during the Era where the WWE was more threatened?

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
Would you risk it and give the world title to a guy as nuts (and talented at the same time) during the Era where the WWE was more threatened?
That was his gimmick, the loose cannon. He was off the drugs in the WWF.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I would say that as a main eventer Brian Pillman would have succeeded because WWE was very short on main event wrestler's in between mid 1997 and the end of 1998, when you look at that whole period there was The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Bret Hart, Kane and Mick Foley which is very thin considering how much main event talent WCW had in between that same period although WWE did a great job with what they had.

I think that Brian Pillman would have been a much better choice as Stone Cold Steve Austin's first feud after winning the WWF title at WrestleMania 14 as there was a history there between them which would have carried the feud alone and would have created a new star for the main event scene at the same time. I think Austin/Pillman would have easily carried on through until the Austin/Kane feud started just before King of the Ring and it would have built up Brian Pillman to a level where he would have been believable in the ring against someone like The Undertaker.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Definitely, in a Roddy Piper role.
This. Exactly this. Piper was never world champion, but he was always a credible threat to the main event faces because of his skill, craftiness, and total lack of morals. Pillman could have been the 90's/00's version of Piper.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,747 Posts
i agree with those who said in a Roddy Piper position. he could have fit that upper level heel, but never really world champion style wrestler.

·
Danger
142 Posts
I could of seen Pillman in the main event of some ppv's during the attitude era. Really unforutunate, he could of had some memorable feuds with Austin, Rock, Triple H, also a feud with Mankind when Mankind was over huge as a face would of been such a great feud and some great hardcore matches.

·
Premium Member
44,309 Posts
Imagine if we had 93 Pillman's body with 97 Pillman's character...CHRIST!!! He'd be like a "One of the greatest of all time" level talents.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.