Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the downsides to The Royal Rumble to me since around 2002-2003 is that it is very predictable in who will win outside of 2008 when John Cena made his unexpected return from injury so maybe to change it up and add that unpredictable factor to it again i would love to see The Royal Rumble booked as it was in 1992. Now i know that back then there was only one World title whereas now there is two but with their being no brand split as such right now despite their being seperate champions maybe WWE could do some unifying of the titles.

For me personally The Royal Rumble in 1992 was the best ever and any of eight people could have realistically have won the match and become WWE champion such was the star power in that match but now and for nearly a decade only two or three people can be believable in winning the match which takes away the excitement for me. How WWE would go about it i don't know but i'm not a booker so it isn't for me to figure out but after attempting to evolve The Royal Rumble this year with 40 people and still not doing a great buyrate maybe having the winner become WWE/World Unified champion and the number one contender being the winner of The Elimination Chamber we would see potentially two big buyrates heading into WrestleMania which may do the biggest buyrate ever due to Cena/Rock main eventing the PPV.

·
Banned
2,229 Posts
the 2002 royal rumble was one of the best ever, it was highly entertaining and it was one of the most star studded rumbles I ever seen lol. HHH, Austin, Big Show, Kane, Taker, Kurt Angle.

·
Banned
611 Posts
the 2002 royal rumble was one of the best ever, it was highly entertaining and it was one of the most star studded rumbles I ever seen lol. HHH, Austin, Big Show, Kane, Taker, Kurt Angle.
Not to mention Perfect, Booker, RVD, and The Hardys.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
One of the downsides to The Royal Rumble to me since around 2002-2003 is that it is very predictable in who will win outside of 2008 when John Cena made his unexpected return from injury so maybe to change it up and add that unpredictable factor to it again i would love to see The Royal Rumble booked as it was in 1992. Now i know that back then there was only one World title whereas now there is two but with their being no brand split as such right now despite their being seperate champions maybe WWE could do some unifying of the titles.

For me personally The Royal Rumble in 1992 was the best ever and any of eight people could have realistically have won the match and become WWE champion such was the star power in that match but now and for nearly a decade only two or three people can be believable in winning the match which takes away the excitement for me. How WWE would go about it i don't know but i'm not a booker so it isn't for me to figure out but after attempting to evolve The Royal Rumble this year with 40 people and still not doing a great buyrate maybe having the winner become WWE/World Unified champion and the number one contender being the winner of The Elimination Chamber we would see potentially two big buyrates heading into WrestleMania which may do the biggest buyrate ever due to Cena/Rock main eventing the PPV.
Yeah; I liked the unpredictablity of it. Flair, Hogan and Undertaker were all directly involved in the WWF Championship storyline, so they were the favourites. Then there was Sid, who looked like a monster and was a very likely winner. In fact, at the time, I thought he was gonna get it. Roddy Piper, Jake Roberts and Randy Savage were all also booked really strong at the time, and all looked like possible champions. It was great. I agree - it was the best Royal Rumble ever!

·
Banned
2,229 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I was convinced that Sid would win at the time.

Also, I remember the whole PPV being great (but then I was only 10 at the time). The thing I remember most (other than being pissed that Flair won) was Roddy Piper's promo prior to his match with The Mountie, sheer quality. For those that don't remember:

·
Registered
511 Posts
That could work. Have the WWE and WHC champions pick a number in the last 10 range (20-30,30-40)
Have the IC, US, and Tag champs get a number in the last 15(15-30,25-40)
and have the rumble be for the unified title next year and the world title in the following years

It would make fighting for the IC,US, and Tag belts mean something and it would be like how Undertaker and Hogan got to pick from the last set of numbers in that rumble.

·
Registered
16,344 Posts
I liked the royal rumbles when they were unpredictable, which is why I was stupid to think Santino was going to win at the last Royal rumble.

Its better whens its unexpected when the least likely one wins, Austins rumble wins were stupid to say the least. respect Austin alot, love the guy, my fave superstar of all time, but that many rumble wins was over doing it, especially as there were loads of people who could have had a shot and developed a story with.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
2004 rumble was quite unpredictable I though, with Benoit winning.

I remembering thinking Goldberg was sure to win it when he was announced as number 30 and I believe the first time they teased a feud with him and Lesnar was that night at the Rumble.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
How was this years rumble not star packed? It might not have contained the best guys in WWE history, but it contained the best guys on the WWE roster today. From CM Punk(with Nexus all destroying the competition) to Cena and even guys like Nash,Booker T. We had so many guys in the rumble.

I'd like to see a Rumble where the winner gets the title. With Bryan challenging the WHC for the title, I think it'd be best if the WWE title was up for grabs at the rumble. Just watch the 1992 rumble, everyones promo before the match makes it look like it's the biggest match of that persons career,and it basically was too since it was for the wwe title

·
Banned
4,257 Posts
It was quite obvious the way he was being booked, plus with the spoilers going around shortly beforehand (that he'd come to Raw and feud with Evolution, while Eddie would be getting a push against Lesnar), AND seeing the Benoit/Evolution and Lesnar/Goldberg segments during the actual show.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I'd really like to see them have a 30 man Royal Rumble for one of the World Titles, I think it would be a great way to yet again screw CM Punk out of the title, I'd have Punk and Cena as the final 2, have HHH, Nash, X-Pac and any other HHH lachey to storm the ring, have Cena honourably defend Punk and when Cena is looking down at Hunter have Rock jump the railand toss Punk out, this would secure the WWE Title for Rocks match at WM and it would also allow Rock to tell Cena he is only champ because he allows it

·
Yee
1,850 Posts
but that rumble was predictable as hell we all knew triple h was gonna win.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Spooky, i was just watching RR 92 last night. Fucking great event. I remember watching it back in the day too and its definitely one of my faves. Agreed that they've become way too predictable in recent years, i mean if the winner aint actually gonna win a title at mania then they might as well let a lesser star win it for a bit of a shock.

·
Banned
611 Posts

I remembering thinking Goldberg was sure to win it when he was announced as number 30 and I believe the first time they teased a feud with him and Lesnar was that night at the Rumble.
No, the first seeds were actually planted at Survivor Series 2003. Both men were world champion at the time, and had a meeting similar to the one at the Rumble. Instead of Lesnar interrupting Goldberg, it was the other way around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lHtew-u9Mg

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I remember being on this forum, saying ADR would win, only a few agreed with me, so don't come and tell me that this year was predictable. 2003-2007 and 2009 was way more predictable than 2011.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts