Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
No, frankly, although I certainly see their value. The problem is that the roster isn't strong enough to support it right now. Given the choice of Kofi Kingston or a jobber, I'd pick the damn jobber. The same is true of half the roster.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Noo with current tv ratings lack of product interest, don't see any point seeing someone crush jobbers for 3 months only to lose to cena the first time they meet.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
No, frankly, although I certainly see their value. The problem is that the roster isn't strong enough to support it right now. Given the choice of Kofi Kingston or a jobber, I'd pick the damn jobber. The same is true of half the roster.
That's WHY you need the jobber matches back, guys need to be established as stars and the only proven way to do that is have them win week in, week out. It's not just about seeing them win either, showing the fanbase what to pop for is important as well. Everyone knows what Cena's big moves are and they get a big reaction. The same is true for Triple H, Orton, Taker, Mysterio, Punk, Sheamus, etc. What about Primo? Let's say they gave him a competative match on Raw, would people react to his big 5 more than the more generic moves he did? No, obviously and that's a big reason why he won't go anywhere.

At the moment nobody can get over. By get over I don't mean become popular because plenty of people manage that in various ways. I mean over as in being seen as a star, being expected to win every single match, whether that's desirable or not, and being able to headline PPV after PPV. Nobody can break through that glass ceiling right now because WWE won't risk weakening the few guys who can actually do it. Using jobbers to make the newer wrestlers look like stars early on would pay off huge in the long run.

Noo with current tv ratings lack of product interest, don't see any point seeing someone crush jobbers for 3 months only to lose to cena the first time they meet.
What's wrong with that, they beat a load of guys, face a bigger star and lose and then go back to winning. That's how it always worked in the past. The young guy gets a rub from a big star and then moves up the card as a result, basic booking.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't think it would work that well anymore. People know that wrestling is "scripted" and you don't get over by winning jobber matches anymore, you get over by interacting with the fans with your mic skills and your wrestling abilities. (not winning, but the moves you are capable of doing)

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I don't think it would work that well anymore. People know that wrestling is "scripted" and you don't get over by winning jobber matches anymore, you get over by interacting with the fans with your mic skills and your wrestling abilities. (not winning, but the moves you are capable of doing)
But the moves still have to mean something and for that they have to seen to matter repeatedly. Most WWE wrestlers have 5 or 6 big moves that their matches are built around, this is as true for Curt Hawkins as it is for John Cena. There's one big difference though and that is that even when Hawkins uses his 5 or 6 moves he still loses so in no sense can they be seen to be big moves and they don't get over.

A challenge, can you name every current WWE wrestler's finisher from memory? I know I can't and that's because we never see them win.

Oh and btw, most adults always knew it was a work. What they didn't know was that everyone around them also knew, they thought they were the only ones.

·
Registered
287 Posts
This. In a post-kayfabe world, jobber squashes serve no purpose at all. As soon as some skinny local kid gets in the ring with no fanfare, everyone knows what's about to happen. It doesn't make the superstar getting the push look strong at all.

What really helps wrestlers get over is working programs with top stars and/or noted technical wrestlers like Daniel Bryan. They needn't necessarily win all the time, but they do need to show strong offence and have periods of dominance. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen nearly enough, as everyone is ordered to make John Cena look as good as possible. And anyone who taps out to the no-pressure STF immediately looks weak as hell.

·
Registered
826 Posts
To me, jobbers made the 90's. Why? Because the jobbers were able to create the wrestlers. End of story.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
I could go for a few jobber matches. Nothing beats the generic jobbers from the 80s/90s like Rusty Brooks, Reno Riggins, and Mario Mancini.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts