Wrestling Forum banner

Would you have liked to seen Tony Schiavone join the WWF after the purchase of WCW?

2856 Views 28 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  NitroMark
Do you think Tony would have fit in well? Personally i was hoping he'd stick around full time and was disappointed he didn't.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,745 Posts
Re: Would you have liked to seen Tony Schiavone join the WWF after the purchase of WC

He was in the wwe in the late 80s/early 90s and he was awful....he moved to wcw and he was awful. Hated wrestling and was embarrassed to be a part of it. So long

· Registered
33,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Would you have liked to seen Tony Schiavone join the WWF after the purchase of WC

He was in the wwe in the late 80s/early 90s and he was awful....he moved to wcw and he was awful. Hated wrestling and was embarrassed to be a part of it. So long
Really? I know he got a lot of heat..especially for lots of "this is the biggest night our sport has ever seen" lines lol but i think if say he was at least on Smackdown, it would have been pretty awesome.

· Registered
2,745 Posts

Each to their own I guess. I never ever liked him, he wasn't believable. You could feel the disdain when he commentated.

· Registered
7,988 Posts

The last 2 years of WCW he was pretty shit and I don't think he would of enjoyed going back to WWF. At the time they had JR,Heyman,Cole and Tazz on the main shows and Schivone would of likely done the WCW show if that plan was stuck to but with the way things did turn out he would of not had a spot.

· Registered
2,842 Posts

I think he did an interview where he said he was looking to get out of the business and used the purchase as the excuse to leave. Frankly, the guy is a douche and I'm glad he never went to WWE. About his WWF run, if you ever get to hear his commentary, it's god awful.

· Banned
275 Posts

I liked Schiavone's commentary. I thought Tony Schiavone was a great commentator. Very underrated. After WWF bought WCW, they should have made it a separate brand instead of Smackdown and bring in Schiavone and..maybe Mark Madden for commentary.

· Registered
4,263 Posts

I liked Schiavone, but listening to him after the demise of WCW he comes across as if he felt he was a baseball guy calling wrestling.

· The Cornerstone Of The Corner Store
3,386 Posts

I think he's really underrated as an announcer, he has a really good voice, easy to listen to. I'm not sure if or where he'd have fit in in the WWF around 2001 but yeah I would've liked to see him make the move. Even if it was just to announce on shows like Heat and Velocity, or better yet backstage interviews/webshows.

· Registered
5,223 Posts

Tony Shiavone had his moments, but became a joke during the nWo feud. He actually did great when he had to step in for Eric Bischoff and was the loyal and reluctant play-by-play man who had to call matches against his boss' wishes, but sometime in 1997 he did one too many "Fans, we gotta go!!"s and it really diminished his credibility.

I think, maybe, the first time I noticed him becoming unbearable was the Hogan/Giant match that ran over into Robin Hood and the match was tape delayed to be 45 minutes or so. He was still decent throughout 1997, but WCW Nitro always had a weird dynamic as Heenan/Schiavone/Zbyszko were unanimously pro-WCW and there was no real chemistry to play off of.

· Registered
8,526 Posts

I only started watching in 96, by that point his commentary left a lot to be desired, he really wouldn't have fit in well with the WWE at that time.

· Banned
9,211 Posts

Tony Schiavone is often viewed as a bad announcer because the WWE has kind of portrayed him as a villain with the Mick Foley thing and the other various ways they've portrayed him as a bad person.

Schiavone was a good announcer. He could get across that something was special and even if it wasn't he could still have you believe it would be a great show. I wouldn't have liked to have seen him in the WWF because I personally rate JR and Michael Cole over him but I would have liked to see the XWF become something so I could see Schiavone work again.

· Registered
8,526 Posts

No. I thought Tony Skeevone (Jericho...) and Tenay were both so damn annoying. I found it hard to enjoy even the best WCW matches when they were yapping about nonsense.
haha, I always hated Tenay, he just looks like a history teacher or something. He just seems like a big mark that some how got an announcing job. I'm surprised TNA can't get anybody better than him or Tazz.

If Tony did join the WWE, it would definitely not be the greatest moment in the history of our sport.

· Premium Member
20,296 Posts
haha, I always hated Tenay, he just looks like a history teacher or something. He just seems like a big mark that some how got an announcing job. I'm surprised TNA can't get anybody better than him or Tazz.

If Tony did join the WWE, it would definitely not be the greatest moment in the history of our sport.
:lmao

http://www.canoe.ca/WrestlingImagesT/tenay.jpg

· Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
5,014 Posts

His call of Warrior vs. Rude as Summerslam 89' was his best work I've ever heard. He made it seem like it was the greatest and most important match of all time. Watching it without sound, and seeing what the match really was like, shows what Tony's abilities and potential were. Unfortunately, He acted the same way when he was calling jobber vs. jobber matches and, according to the accounts of every book that I've read that mentions him, he was a pompous dick who burned bridges and threw others under the bus in the name of Tony Shiavone. Because of that, he is permanently out of work in wrestling, that is unless Jarrett takes him in.

· Registered
2,186 Posts

For the last couple of years he wanted nothing to do with the business. When he was into it though his play by play was second only to JR's in my opinion. Had he stil wanted to be around, sure I'd have loved to see him run Smackdown or a WCW show.

· Registered
449 Posts

Tony has always been my personal favorite announcer but he would have hated WWE. He wouldn't have been allowed to actually call the matches.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.