Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rey gets a lot of hate from the internet these days because of how broken down his knees are, and people claim he's been phoning it in (which I disagree) but regardless.

Would you call Rey a legend?

Rey entered WCW and arguably helped make the cruiserweight division as popular as it was with his lucha style which American audiences had not seen at the time.

If you look at wrestlers (mostly on the indies and Japan) who perform lucha today, a lot of moves Rey was doing back in the 90's.

Would you call Rey a legend in the sense that he helped innovate and introduce lucha libre to American audiences.

Many moves which are still used today.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
100%. Arguable the greatest little man to ever grace WWE and WCW. Had some of the greatest cruiserweight matches and became over enough to compete and win the WHC. Great merch sales too. Even though he is breaking down, I respect him very much.

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
No, he's still active. When he retires he'll be a legend, but correct me if I'm wrong that title doesn't apply to active wrestlers.
I'd call him a legend yes in the overall business. I don't think he's a WWE legend though but I do think he may be put in the Hall of Fame in the future to be honest.
WHAT?!

·
Fedor's cornerman.
1,331 Posts
Absolutely. He's done A LOT for the industry, and is by far the most recognizable masked wrestler in the world. He surpasses even guys like El Santo and Mil Mascaras when it comes to world recognition. He's put his body through hell and in my opinion, he was even better than Mistico (Fuck "Sin Cara") in his prime.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Definitely yes. I consider Rey the best high flyer of the history. I can't think of anybody better than him.
You can rarely see him performing a bad match. Moreover he sells the offensive of the rest like a mofo.
It's a shame that he is been injuried most of time during this last years. I cannot understand the hate that he produces on the internet. Just because the kids are fans of him doesn't mean that he is not an extraordinaire wrestler.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
You don't need to be a G.O.A.T. candidate to be a legend... Mysterio tore up WCW and WWE's midcard for years and is the WWE/America's most successful luchador. He easily qualifies.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts