SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean like from one summerslam to another. Or is it a :no:

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's Jericho, Christian, CM Punk, Alex Riley, The Miz or Wade Barrett, no.

Anybody else, fuck off. 1 year for anybody is a tad excessive, though.

how long did the person in your avatar have it for again?

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pyro™;9122873 said:
9 months, that's not 1 year. And JBL is not on the WWE roster at the moment. He's on the list too if it's all time, I just went currently.
Ya I know just wanted a reminder man 9 months is a long time. I think jericho or cm punk could scratch a year long championship run.

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
Depends. If it's someone like Jericho or Punk who can actually carry the title, and not just hang on to it, then it's fine. But if it's someone who can't really carry the title without it getting fucking boring, Cena being an example, then no please.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Being champion for that long will make anyone boring.

·
Registered
648 Posts
It would have to be the right guy. He would have to have great mic skills to put over fueds to keep the title meaningful, and he'd have to have the ability to work five star matches to keep buy rates high. Christian, Jericho come to mind.

Danielson has the in ring ability to carry a title that long, but I'm not sure he has the charisma or size to seem credible for a run that long.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It doesn't bother me at all, the championships are just there to help the sport be entertaining. If putting the belt on someone for a long time creates the reaction they want, go for it.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
If the guy was given opponent after opponent, feud after feud, and they were able to keep it interesting, I would be okay with it. A fighting champion, guys like Jericho, Punk, Christian would be good, and to a lesser extent, guys like Miz, Swagger, ADR, Morrison(if he ever gets pushed), a long reign for these guys will establish them as top stars. Whether we like it or not, Cena's 2 year long reigns got him over as the top guy, from WM21 to No Mercy 2007, there was only a 3-4 month period where he wasn't the WWE Champion. They pushed him down our throats till we accepted him, I'm not saying Miz should get that type of reign, but a good 7-8 month reign would be perfect, unfortunately Miz isn't gonna last that long as Champ.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
If the guy's having good matches, I don't have a problem with it. 20+ years ago, a year long reign was nothing. Guys used to have the belt for YEARS!

I think now, the audience's attention span may not be high enough to take it.

Plus, during the days of Hulk Hogan, there weren't as many TV shows as there are now. Plus, The Champion wouldn't be on every single show like he is now.

I didn't really mind Cena's reign year + reigns. They at least gave him a variety of guys to go up against. Plus, he's a huge draw, and he can have a great match.

I thought JBL's long reign as Champion was ungodly boring. At lot of it was his fault, and a lot of it wasn't. It was his fault because he wasn't very good in the ring, and he wasn't really in shape. It wasn't his fault that he didn't have anywhere near the variety of guys to face during a 10 month long reign.

I think it would be much better for a face to have a long run with the championship then a heel. The problem with that is the WWE has done a horrible job of building up their potential Main Event faces.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
A year is very long, but it depents on the booking of the reign. It has to be a star who can get good matches with almost everyone. So maybe CM Punk, Christian, Jericho or some new main eventers like Ziggler (who needs to me serious and drop Vickie).

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
Lol at people saying it would be OK for Jericho and Punk to have one because they could 'carry it' without it being boring. Sorry to tell you but they could get booked in the shittiest feuds ever and their reign would in fact be boring. In this day and age and the way the booking is I don't think anybody could really hold the title that long without things getting stale. That being said, I don't see why they can't just keep it on somebody for a couple of months instead of hot shotting to everybody like a damn hooker.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would love to see it!!!

Would just require a talent who could mix it up on all levels. Somebody like CM Punk would be perfect. He has the Promo (his RR and Elimination chamber stuff was classic) and in-ring skills. & when it comes to in-ring his style would fit with whoever he was in the ring with.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'd much prefer to see a heel reign than a face one. I loved the JBL one because you always ended up going "No fucking way. Not again!", even at something like No Way Out, where he was effectively incapacitated in a massive bump. Using disqualifications, run-ins and general under-handedness works for a long title reign, as long aas it has variety. It can build up heat like nothing else. look at JBL, he was REVILED during that reign because he always got away with it but if he's going to keep winning by countouts or disqualifications, it'll be dull, but if you can make every title defence different and with a unique outcome, it's one of the greatest heat-drawers you can come up with.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,036 Posts
Anyone who holds a world title for a year would get stale. Just like John Cena did. For me 6 months is a long enough title reign for anyone. Maybe a little longer even but 1 year is too much, hell I even think 9 months would be overdoing it a little.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
NO I WOULDN'T

provided that it is none other but the best in the world, justifying the reign, and when he is clearly not the best in the world anymore you give it to the new best in the world

it shouldn't have to be rocket science!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts