Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few years the streak has really become a marquee match at WM and I think we could all agree that beating the Undertaker would do well for anyone but in my opinion the streak is a true representation of the Undertaker’s career (longevity) and I do not want to see it broken because I think its meaning is quite remarkable unblemished.
So we have these great matchups HHH vs. Taker, HBK vs. Taker yet if they won it would have not have been all that meaningful to the future of the company (no star created) So how about a younger talent instead? But does this challenger have to win? In my opinion he would not have to because of the history of this streak. If the challenger was to put on a phenomenal match that is back and forth I think he would get over just as well. Maybe even after the match Taker shows a sign of respect like raising his hand in a sign of respect (like Hardy). What you guys think?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: Would you be afraid to book Undertaker vs. an Up and Comer/Unestablished star and

Having Undertaker lose to an up and coming new blood would be an interesting way to end his WM streak. Although I dont think such an idea would work unless the new blood/up and comer was either same height and build as the Taker or unless they where a smaller but more agile wrestler, meaning they would be able to out manuveur and out last the Taker.

Otherwise I wouldn't see this working, as the Taker wouldn't take the risk of losing his streak that lightly.

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
Re: Would you be afraid to book Undertaker vs. an Up and Comer/Unestablished star and

The only up and comer I'd feel OK with Taker facing would be Seamus but that's just personal bias coming into play as I think the match would seriously own. But realistically, they can't have anything less than a legend go for the streak or it won't work, simple as that.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,025 Posts

Well i'm at a dilema about this because while I wouldn't mind Undertaker losing to an up and comer, and making him a star in the process. There are a few things on my mind about it.

Firstly, the guy absoletely has to be the RIGHT candidate. I'm talking in the way of how Mark Callaway was the RIGHT person to play Undertaker. Nobody could have played him as good as Mark. But in terms of who should win, it has to be someone who really deserves it and someone who will take the ball and run with it. Someone who shows absolute commitment and dedication to the company and also, someone who hopefully won't end up leaving the WWE in the future and thus making Taker's loss pointless. Also the person would have to have the perfect character/gimmick, so that Taker can pass the torch.

Secondly, he needs to be booked right. Considering Undertaker's past opponents, being brought to the limit with both Shawn Micheals and Triple H, it's going to be hard to sell this guy after his matches with those two. If this guys succeeds where those two failed, would it make them look weaked? So he needs to be booked right, and not booked like a fluke win either. He needs to look as if he can go toe to toe with them all and sell the victory.

Thirdly, is there any up and comer in WWE that deserves to end the streak. Not that I can see. Hell I don't even think there's a main eventer who deserves to end the streak.

Finally, as an Undertaker mark and a keen supporter of the streak, i'm a little bit biased becuase i'd like to see him retire with the streak intact, and at this point in his career, he really only needs one more win to retire with a clean sheet. Also like I said before, I fear that someone else winning might make the other losses redudant and weak.

So yeah that's my dilema.

·
Registered
132 Posts

I would like him to retire 20-0 against Cena in peace before he hurts himself. For him to lose to a young blood, you would have to put a shit ton of trust into that guy.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts

The streak has become too damn big for an up and comer to beat. If Batista, Orton, HHH, HBK, Edge, other all time great, couldn't do it, NOO up and comer should. Beating the streak is too big of a push for ANYONE.

·
Keeping the red flag flying high
2,046 Posts

If the oportunity presented itself I would definitely have someone end the Undertakers 'streak' I mean after he retires he won't care (atleast not if he's as proffessional as everybody makes out he is) and I would thnk it's his duty to try to put over younger talent at this stage of his career and I personally think its one of the only ways left to truly establish a strong heel these days.

Whilst saying this obviously there are a few things to consider, firstly the WWE would have to be super high on the guy and would willing for the guy to be the number 1 heel for years to come (would bring a shit-tonne of heat from the crowd) and they themselves would have to have longevity as it's pointless giving the streak up if the guy your having going over is only going to be in the business for a few more years himself.

Now taking all that into consideration I feel that there is only one guy on the current WWE roster who envisions these things and it's someone who WWE have royally dropped the ball on in previous months and that guy is Wade Barrett. Barrett oozes smarm and he is the guy the audiecne/universe would love to hate and if he went over the Undertaker at WrestleMania it would make him instantly into the companys hottest property he would be a heel of Triple H (2000) proportions, the crowd would absolutley despise him. Another thing that Barrett has going for him is that it is belivable for Barrett to go over the Undertaker clean at Mania due to his size, his 'bare nuckle fighting' background and his ruthlessness (which we saw in abundance early on within the Nexus angle) .

I would LOVE for this to happen at a mania before Taker retires the image of a smirking Barrett at the end of the ramp as Taker stuggles to get up (before Barrett walking to the back and Taker getting a acknowledgement from the audience) would be an image that would be so iconic.

Other than Barrett I really don't see anyone worthy of being the one to end the streak.

·
Registered
977 Posts

I would say have Barrett get that push (arrogant bugger FINALLY achieves something and finally has something REALLY heelish to brag about) OR

Have someone finally beat Taker, not just in the ring, but at his mind games too. Step forward Cody :p

·
Registered
373 Posts

I thought 'ending the streak' was what wrestling was all about. The old guys putting over the new guys, keeping the cycle of glory turning. Granted, I don't know much about the business. But if it was up to me, I wouldn't let Undertaker retire with the streak intact, as much as I love what he's done for WWE, I wouldn't let him even he begged me.

The heel (come on, it would have to be a heel) to end Undertaker's streak would be cemented in a sea of heat for life, haha. Talk about paying to see a guy get his ass kicked! Sh*t.

·
Banned
362 Posts

no i wouldn't want that, maybe in the past (which he did with randy orton) but now its time to tell the story of how and why undertaker retired, no more filler WM streak matches for him

oh and no him losing to a newcomer is stupid as hell

·
Friends Come And Go,Banners Hang Forever
25,581 Posts

They need someone who they need to know will be a star for years to come, won't abandon the company, and can play heel very well because that's what they'd end up being.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts

No one should end the streak, the streak is what makes WrestleMania what it is, and if you take it away from Taker, his legacy would be somewhat tarnished if you get my drift because that undefeated streak is basically what has made his career if you really think about it

·
Registered
5,247 Posts

I've always thought it would & should end with a younger guy doing it but now i just don't think it can happen, it's gotten too big for that. If the guy who ends it turns out to be a bit of a flop then it's going to feel like a legacy tarnished. 30 or 40 years from now people will still talk about The Undertaker probably more so then anybody else even if the streak does end but imagine how crap it'd feel if somebody beat him and ended up doing a Brock Lesnar?

The only decent option would've been Wade Barrett this year if they had managed to keep the Nexus thing hot up to WM. Right now there is nobody i would even consider tbh

·
WF Veteran
975 Posts

I'd personally choose Morrison or McIntyre for the job. Both can be HUGE imo given the right push, even though Sin Cara and Kofi can as well, I just see McIntyre and Morrison as the ones to do it. Maybe Swagger could do it though.
those are the worst candidates by far
are you high Morrision!? what a joke

·
Registered
546 Posts

without good natural charisma and mic skills, it would only be a short term boost. Better, emotion creating long term storylines and more risk taking would help too. They seem to have this scheme down.. they bring punk to the spotlight, then once he gets popular or over, they play it safe with him and try to get other people over with feuds while he's back to generic storylines.. now they're doing it with truth/miz but once they get over, they'll do the same thing.. make them generic again... play it safe, and if they keep selling merchandise, keep them on raw as 'main eventers' .. otherwise they end up buried as mid card jobbers again.

·
Registered
213 Posts

At Mania It's either going to be a proven already main eventer that is going to lose because they have nothing to gain OR a young guy who could end the streak, but as we saw with Orton the guy doesn't even necessarily have to beat the Taker he could just as easily put on a good match.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts